Does bread made from Stone ground flour act as a low carb food?

mark3888

Thank you all for such personal & detailed feedback.
I feel you are such a committed group - great to hear of the weight loss and fall in gly Hb you are experiencing and that the recipe is not needed..
Many of my patient's can spend their entire appointment telling me what they are not eating, while I am recording increasing weight, waist and glycos Hb. I am getting some great results with this low carb approach; I will confidently direct them to this site as well as to the Lidl protein rolls or diabeticgoodbaking.
Thanks again

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many of my patient's can spend their entire appointment telling me what they are not eating, while I am recording increasing weight, waist and glycos Hb.

Maybe if you and every other GP advocated self testing before and after meals, along with a food diary, patients would see exactly what their food choices are doing to their levels and it may shock them into changing their eating habits. It certainly beats eating blind and waiting for periodical blood tests. :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel you are such a committed group - great to hear of the weight loss and fall in gly Hb you are experiencing and that the recipe is not needed..
Many of my patient's can spend their entire appointment telling me what they are not eating, while I am recording increasing weight, waist and glycos Hb. I am getting some great results with this low carb approach; I will confidently direct them to this site as well as to the Lidl protein rolls or diabeticgoodbaking.
Thanks again
Maybe contact Dr David Unwin another Gp who advocates Low Carb?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks again

Mark - Have you looked at the site's Low Carb Programme, which is linked in my signature? It is a 10 week, structured approach to hel T2s rerduce the carbs they are consuming, and educate them in a structured way.

The LC Programme has won many awards, and although the presentation I'm linking to here is now almost a year out of date, the successes and data have only gone from strength to strength in the meantime.

The presenter is our site Admin/co-founder.

You might also be interested to look at Dr Unwin, who is a GP actively promoting LC within his NHS practice.

Enjoy.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @mark3888

I'm going to make this bread over the weekend. I've never made soda bread: does the dough need time to prove (like "normal" bread)?

For the BG test, do you want me to try and eat it dry? or can I add a little butter/spread? (the extra fat will slow the absorption of carbs, but it'll be more realistic unless the bread is very moist). I obviously won't add anything else.

We don't all low carb; though I respect it works for many.

devans115

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I wished to know if any members have found a bread that does not make their sugars spike.
I am a GP working with diabetics - my diabetics all tell me what they have had to give up; I just say that if eating 1 unt is enough it is fine. I have a bread recipe that is so satisfying that 1 slice is enough. I am not diabetic and have needle phobia so wondered anyone was curious enough to try the recipe to see what it does to blood sugars!

Soda Bread Recipe

2 x284ml buttermilk (can buy 1 litre cartons of Polish buttermilk and top up to 568ml)
420g Stoneground (bigger particles) wholemeal flour
4 tablespoons sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons golden linseed
150g oats plus a few more to sprinkle on the top
1 teaspoon muscovado (any brown sugar will do)
3/2 (1 and a half) teaspoon salt
3/2 (1 and a half) bicarbonate of soda

Oven gas mark 5 / 190 degree C / 375 F

Put 284 ml in bowl
Add 2/3 wholemeal flour and all the seeds
Add in rest of buttermilk; the rest of the flour, oats,
sugar salt, and bicarbonate of soda.
Mix thoroughly.

Grease loaf tin with butter.
Scrape the mixture not the tin.
Smooth the top and sprinkle a thin layer of oats and drop the tin on the table top a couple of times to make sure the mixture has settled.

Bake for 1 hour - turn round half way if oven has hot spots.
Turn out bread; turn off oven and put loaf back in oven for 10 mins.

We make 2 loaves at a time and freeze one.
Well I think any interest from a GP in this area can only be a good thing, shame more cant find the time and interest in this. As for the recipe I think it would increase a persons blood sugar, by how much is probably the question.
I wished to know if any members have found a bread that does not make their sugars spike.
I am a GP working with diabetics - my diabetics all tell me what they have had to give up; I just say that if eating 1 unt is enough it is fine. I have a bread recipe that is so satisfying that 1 slice is enough. I am not diabetic and have needle phobia so wondered anyone was curious enough to try the recipe to see what it does to blood sugars!

Soda Bread Recipe

2 x284ml buttermilk (can buy 1 litre cartons of Polish buttermilk and top up to 568ml)

Put 284 ml in bowl
Mix thoroughly.

Smooth the top and sprinkle a thin layer of oats and drop the tin on the table top a couple of times to make sure the mixture has settled.

devans115

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I react badly to bread but have started to use Ezekeiel Bread made from sprouts. It is a little bit costly but as I only eat one slice very filling. It keeps in the refrigerator for weeks.

Soda Bread Recipe

Put 284 ml in bowl
Mix thoroughly.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do not work the soda bread any more than you need to make the mix homogenous, and then bake at once - it is like a cake rather than yeast leavened bread.
Keep the mixture quite sticky, handle it by dusting with flour on the outside but don't work it into the dough.
A loaf made with 12 oz of flour (half white half wholemeal) and a half pint of buttermilk will have 260 gm of carbohydrate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brunneria

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
To @mark3888

I made the soda bread this morning: it's very simple bread to make, it smelled lovely during baking and tastes great (my wife doesn't normally like soda bread, but she enjoyed this recipe).

The nutritional information using the ingredients I purchased (following your recipe) is:

Carbs: 36.8
Fat: 5.1
Protein: 10.0
Cals: 239
Per 100g

My BG readings were:

6.8 Before eating
8.6 up 1.8 after 1 hour
6.9 up 0.1 after 2 hours
4.6 down 2.2 after 4 hours

I ate 100g bread for breakfast with 10g butter and a mug of coffee with milk. I bolused 20 minutes before eating. I ate nothing else and did minimal exercise during the first two hours, then I walked (strolled) around the shops for an hour during the period between +2 and +4 hours which explains the drop in BG, so not an ideal test.

I hope this helps a little, but this is obviously just one person's experience on one occasion.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm quit happy to bake and eat "bread" made with nut and seed flours. They may not be quite the same as normal high carb bread, but they do the job instead if I feel the need for something bread like.

However, as a type 2 using a low carb higher fat diet to help control my glucose levels I wouldn't touch any wheat based flour (stone ground or otherwise!) with a 100 foot barge pole. Same goes for the oats and sugar. So I'm not prepared risk my health to be a volunteer baker for you unfortunately...

Robbity

PS I think a lot of diabetics also have needle phobias and it can be very scary, but if they need insulin they have to learn to deal with this fear if they want to survive - it's the lesser of two evils. I forced myself to overcome my fear of needles, so that I could monitor my glucose levels in order to manage my diabetes better, because I was more afraid of losing my sight or the use of my hands than I was of pricking my finger with a vicious needle: you "just" need a vital enough incentive...

mark3888

Hi @mark3888

I'm going to make this bread over the weekend. I've never made soda bread: does the dough need time to prove (like "normal" bread)?

For the BG test, do you want me to try and eat it dry? or can I add a little butter/spread? (the extra fat will slow the absorption of carbs, but it'll be more realistic unless the bread is very moist). I obviously won't add anything else.

We don't all low carb; though I respect it works for many.
The bread does not need proving - you just mix and drop into a tin.
Once cooked and cool, slice thinly; 2 slicesis 5x3 inches are really satisfying

Reactions: Ledzeptt

LidiaS

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Soda Bread Recipe

Put 284 ml in bowl
Mix thoroughly.

This bread (link below) is perfect. No spikes.

http://www.livlifefoods.co.uk/

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @mark3888

I've been using a Freestyle Libre for the past few weeks, so I have more detailed information about what happens to my BG levels. I've had some time over the Bank holiday weekend to compare results of eating different breads, so I thought you (and others) may be interested.

Soda bread

upload_2017-5-29_12-46-59.png

Ate at 09:30 with egg. Spike 9.3-5.6 = 3.7

LivLife bread (as recommended by @LidiaS)

Ate at 08:45 with egg. Spike 7.5-6.4 = 1.1

Sainsburys Hi Lo bread (for comparison)

Ate at 07:45 with egg. Spike 7.6-5.8 = 1.8

I've switched to eating LivLife bread now! Thanks @LidiaS :)

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-29_12-46-59.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh @Ledzeptt that is fantastic info! Thank you.

Can I just clarify, was that one slice of bread with the egg? or two?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @mark3888

I've been using a Freestyle Libre for the past few weeks, so I have more detailed information about what happens to my BG levels. I've had some time over the Bank holiday weekend to compare results of eating different breads, so I thought you (and others) may be interested.

Is that with a bolus for the bread, if I'm understanding the symbols on the libre graph correctly?

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Brunneria

I ate two slices of the Livlife and Hi Lo bread. I ate 100g of the soda bread (home made cob, so slices not comparable - it's dense compared to commercial bread). In its favour, the soda bread tasted far superior to the others.

I also ate about 10g butter each time: it would have slowed the absorption of carbs a little, but consistently.

P.s. I meant to say I've only shown one example for each bread type, but I did eat each on more than one occasion and the results were broadly similar.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @catapillar

Yes: the syringe symbol indicates my bolus and the apple symbol shows my food (carbs).

Atlantis

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I found this site whilst searching for effects of stone ground whole wheat flour on blood sugar. Little info so far, but will persevere. Unlike many other posters, I bake bread regularly, and have recently switched to a locally farmed stone ground whole wheat. Your recipe looks super. Will definitely try it, although can't give blood sugar results, as I'm pre-diabetic and don't have testing facilities. I am curious about the reason for the sugar. It's not a lot, but there is no need for sugar in soda bread. In yeast bread it facilitates the rising but soda bread depends on the soda and acidic liquid. I make soda bread weekly and on its own, with no sugar, it has a pleasant very slightl sweet taste (from natural sugars in the milk?). Suspect your bread would be as good without. Appreciate the post.

Reactions: Guzzler

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Will definitely try it, although can't give blood sugar results, as I'm pre-diabetic and don't have testing facilities.

Hi and welcome aboard.

Even we Type 2s aren't given testing equipment unless we are on insulin. The vast majority of us buy our own. You will find one invaluable, and it just may stop you going on to full blown diabetes. You can then test out your own recipes and see what happens to your blood sugars.

Reactions: Alison Campbell