Does chilli sauce spike blood sugars

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey guys I love my chilli cause especially the West Indies one any one get high blood sugars with these types of sauces

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I used to like hot chilli sauces but have them less often now, as I find my stomach doesn't tolerate them as well now I'm older.
I do have some Thai chilli sauce on chow mein occasionally. It is relatively high in carbs, 22%. But I don't think the amount I use, probably about a tablespoonful would spike me much. The egg noodles in the chow mein are likely to raise my bs more than the chilli sauce. I haven't tested after eating though, I might next time to see.

Reactions: ziggy_w

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hey guys I love my chilli cause especially the West Indies one any one get high blood sugars with these types of sauces

Depends how much you use!
Also what you eat it with, of course.
A dash of sauce will probably be fine.
A large bottle at one go could be different.
If it is mainly sugar then it could spike you.

Reactions: Prem51

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depends how much you use!
Also what you eat it with, of course.
A dash of sauce will probably be fine.
A large bottle at one go could be different.
If it is mainly sugar then it could spike you.

Ok cool yeh that's what I thought, with chicken or salmon no carbs and yeh I need to look at the nutrition on the bottle

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @ShyLily,

Have you tested your blood sugar levels after having chilli?

Personally, I don't often eat hot foods, but have found out that my blood sugars rise significantly after having regular espresso -- so now I only have decaffeinated espresso. (TBH, however, I believe such a strong response to caffeine seems to be rare.)

So, it might not only be the carbs that matter, but also the effect on stress hormones.

To be sure, you should probably test.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't often eat hot foods, but have found out that my blood sugars rise significantly after having regular espresso -- so now I only have decaffeinated espresso. (TBH, however, I believe such a strong response to caffeine seems to be rare.)

That would be one of my worst nightmares! Coffee has become my chocolate replacement. Luckily, I don't have a particularly bad blood sugar reaction to caffeine (although I can't drink caffeine past midday if I want to sleep at night).

If you mean Encona sauce, then the original Hot Pepper Sauce is 1.1g Carbs per 100ml which is fairly decent as I'm not sure anyone could eat 100ml in one go?
In fact, the ingredients look quite blood-sugar friendly (so much so, they have inspired me to make my own version of this today):

Habanero Mash (Habanero Peppers, Scotch Bonnet Peppers, Salt, Acetic Acid) (64%), Water, Acetic Acid, Salt, Onion Powder, Mustard, Modified Maize Starch, Xanthan Gum

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya, I guess the answer is try it and see. As said above, small amounts can be safe and we're all different.
In fact, the ingredients look quite blood-sugar friendly (so much so, they have inspired me to make my own version of this today):
Good, I was hoping someone would recommend a home-made version, thanks. I make all my own sauces but am still looking for a good substitute for balsamic vinegar (and please don't say it will take 12 years in different sized barrels)

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya, I guess the answer is try it and see. As said above, small amounts can be safe and we're all different.

Good, I was hoping someone would recommend a home-made version, thanks. I make all my own sauces but am still looking for a good substitute for balsamic vinegar (and please don't say it will take 12 years in different sized barrels)

Lol haha aww I have no idea about that don't know why companies add stupid ingredients that we don't need in there can't jus make natural products

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I use Encona Original Hot Pepper Sauce in place of tomato ketchup etc. For regular servings there are virtually no carbs, but just watch the salt levels if you have hypertension (but these are not that high either).

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm a philistine... I bastardise everything with a mix of apple cider vinegar and sarsons distilled pickling vinegar. It's what I use in all of my sauces and chutneys. I find that the apple cider vinegar imparts a sweeter taste without actually loading it up with sugar, and the sarsons... well, it's cheap.

Reactions: DeejayR and Prem51

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That would be one of my worst nightmares! Coffee has become my chocolate replacement. Luckily, I don't have a particularly bad blood sugar reaction to caffeine (although I can't drink caffeine past midday if I want to sleep at night).

If you mean Encona sauce, then the original Hot Pepper Sauce is 1.1g Carbs per 100ml which is fairly decent as I'm not sure anyone could eat 100ml in one go?

Habanero Mash (Habanero Peppers, Scotch Bonnet Peppers, Salt, Acetic Acid) (64%), Water, Acetic Acid, Salt, Onion Powder, Mustard, Modified Maize Starch, Xanthan Gum

Hi @luceeloo,

I agree. When I first tested my blood sugars after a double espresso with full fat milk, I thought what a bummer. It was a hard thing to give up, but now I have gotten used to decaffeinated espresso with cream and xylitol -- especially since I found a yummy-tasting brand of decaffeinated espresso.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mirin can sub for Balsamic Vin in some recipes, but really you are just swapping one sweetness for another.
(mirin and dark soy sauce make a fab marinade)

Personally, I tend to just go ahead with the Balsamic. I like the flavour, and in the grand scheme of the overall dish, the sweetness in the balsamic amounts to a tiny amount of carbs, per portion. :)

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @luceeloo,

I agree. When I first tested my blood sugars after a double espresso with full fat milk, I thought what a bummer. It was a hard thing to give up, but now I have gotten used to decaffeinated espresso with cream and xylitol -- especially since I found a yummy-tasting brand of decaffeinated espresso.

Pray tell... what is the brand?

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @luceeloo,

The brand I prefer is the decaffeinated espresso from Lucaffe.

Like you, I sometimes also try my hand at sauces and dressings. Sometimes, they turn out good, other times, not so much. I sometimes use Nature's Hollow maple syrup (made with xylitol instead of sugar) to sweeten them. I have also just ordered the ketchup and honey from Nature's Hollow -- I am curious to see how they taste.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Mirin can sub for Balsamic Vin in some recipes, but really you are just swapping one sweetness for another.
(mirin and dark soy sauce make a fab marinade)

Personally, I tend to just go ahead with the Balsamic. I like the flavour, and in the grand scheme of the overall dish, the sweetness in the balsamic amounts to a tiny amount of carbs, per portion. :)

Brunneria, I have a bottle of mirin, and it has 9g carbohydrate for one teaspoon. That is quite a bit of carbs.