Does fish lower blg levels?

cadd79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, every time I eat fish I find my sugar levels stay low after my meal even if I have carbs with it. Does this happen with anyone else and does anyone know if fish oil capsules help keep healthy levels?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, every time I eat fish I find my sugar levels stay low after my meal even if I have carbs with it. Does this happen with anyone else and does anyone know if fish oil capsules help keep healthy levels?
If you're eating fish such as salmon or mackerell for example, then their fat content can dampen any potential BG spiking effect from the carbs you're eating along with the fish.

Reactions: cadd79

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find if I eat fish (predominantly Salmon) that I can get away with a few boiled new potatoes without any effect on my levels, which is a bonus as with Chicken it spikes me so I avoid. I think it is to do with fat/oily content of the fish.

Reactions: cadd79 and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
For some reason my fbgs are usually lower after fish the previous night. My fbgs are generally around 6-6.3, but if I've had fish it will be around 5.5-5.7. That's not just oily fish, but also cod and (a few) chips.
I do take Omega 3 pure cod liver oil capsules, but those don't seem to affect my bs levels.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the fatty fish keeping things slow and low. When I eat chicken I always have to have avocado with it so I don't spike. I eat avocado with every mealmas it helps keep everything slow and low with its fat and fiber content