Does insulin release other hormones

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been tring to cut out carbs from my diet. However, when I do eat carbs, say a bowl of porridge and nuts, I feel very emotional/depressed and start to cry within about 10-15 mins. Carbs seem to release something emotional in me that is dehabilitating.

Does anybody know why this may be? When insulin is released, does it also release any other hormones that would make me like this?

Thanks

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
its a sugar rush. eating sugar creates a surge of feel-good brain chemicals dopamine and serotonin. So does using certain drugs, like cocaine. And just like a drug, your body craves more after the initial high. "You then become addicted to that feeling, so every time you eat it you want to eat more," explains Gina Sam, M.D., M.P.H., director of the Gastrointestinal Motility Center at The Mount Sinai Hospital. and the drop has the opposite effect.

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Why would a sugar rush make me feel so bad? I thought it would make me happy, not emotional.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why would a sugar rush make me feel so bad? I thought it would make me happy, not emotional.
All grains make me sad and weepy. Sometimes not until the next day. Even if I take just one or two sips of my husbands Guinness foam I’m sure to cry. Dairy can do that too. Hence the reason I don’t eat grains but oooohhhhh, that Guinness foam is heaven.
My daughters old room mate has that with all grains and dairy. It’s a food intolerance.

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
All grains make me sad and weepy. Sometimes not until the next day. Even if I take just one or two sips of my husbands Guinness foam I’m sure to cry. Dairy can do that too. Hence the reason I don’t eat grains but oooohhhhh, that Guinness foam is heaven.
My daughters old room mate has that with all grains and dairy. It’s a food intolerance.
Is it a dramatic change with you when you take them? Within 15 mins of eating grains I am crying like a baby.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Endorphins are released during meals to give you the feeling of satiated and enjoying food.
Other hormones are released by your gut brain trigger including insulin.
If your mental health is imbalanced because of fluctuations in blood glucose levels especially during the worst of having too much insulin or glucose, then other hormones will also kick in. This is probably why the emotional roller coaster you go through when you haven't got good control as the high insulin or overshoot is still impacting on your blood levels.

If you think about it, if you get high glucose levels then high insulin levels, your brain is sending messages to your conscious to feed yourself and either elate or deflate you. The hunger pangs and needing to eat is symptoms of what is going on. So is the anxiety and depression, then crying must be part and parcel of the emotional merry go round. I just cried like you did, through either from frustration, anger, and the distress my brain was going through.

One of the reasons I have to keep control.

Best wishes.

Reactions: benjo123456

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it a dramatic change with you when you take them? Within 15 mins of eating grains I am crying like a baby.
Sweet potatoes and yes all grains and I’m comatos asleep within 15 min for about an hour. Then I’m moody. I haven’t eaten them in years. My only grains are Guinness foam, 2 sips and yup lots of times the water works start but we laugh about it now because there’s nothing to cry about. I just had that creamy awesome foam. I don’t even drink the beer part!! Sometimes it’s just worth losing a little mascara over haha.

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for your replies. At the moment, I can't work out if I just have a reaction to grains or if the problem is insulin release. I had a big bowl of root vegies last night and was fine afterwards. I'm going to keep experimenting till I get to the bottom of it.

psychod787

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Ignorant people. Donald Trump! lol
Insulin also triggers the release of leptin, if I remember correctly. It goes hand in hand with satiety. Hence, why carbs are satiating. I won't lie, some days I miss my days of 50% carbs, but crashes and bs are better keeping them lower! Last night was hard. It was my brothers b-day, and my mother, who is hell of a baker, made fresh carrot cake! GRRRRR!!! lol Best of luck!

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Insulin also triggers the release of leptin, if I remember correctly. It goes hand in hand with satiety. Hence, why carbs are satiating. I won't lie, some days I miss my days of 50% carbs, but crashes and bs are better keeping them lower! Last night was hard. It was my brothers b-day, and my mother, who is hell of a baker, made fresh carrot cake! GRRRRR!!! lol Best of luck!
Thanks

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your replies. At the moment, I can't work out if I just have a reaction to grains or if the problem is insulin release. I had a big bowl of root vegies last night and was fine afterwards. I'm going to keep experimenting till I get to the bottom of it.

Processed grain (floor etc) often result in a very fast increase in BG, then often a very fast drop in BG, maybe even with BG going too low due to the level of inslin your body produced. Root vegies as the carbs are still fixed to the fiber often result in much slower changes in BG levels.

Unless you test your BG every 15 minutes for a few hours after you have eaten (or have a CGM) you will not see most of these BG changes.

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sweet potatoes and yes all grains and I’m comatos asleep within 15 min for about an hour. Then I’m moody. I haven’t eaten them in years. My only grains are Guinness foam, 2 sips and yup lots of times the water works start but we laugh about it now because there’s nothing to cry about. I just had that creamy awesome foam. I don’t even drink the beer part!! Sometimes it’s just worth losing a little mascara over haha.

Sweet potato too? That's interesting because I had sweet potato today and found it too much for me as well. Like you, it seems to be all grains and sweet potato, on top of the obvious sugar etc. May I ask what your diet looks like on a typical day? Thanks.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sweet potato too? That's interesting because I had sweet potato today and found it too much for me as well. Like you, it seems to be all grains and sweet potato, on top of the obvious sugar etc. May I ask what your diet looks like on a typical day? Thanks.
Oh boy, you might not like this haha. I’m keto/ vlc per bg and ‘reactions’
Bf is a slice of avocado smashed in a slice of deli turkey/ chicken

Lunch is 2 oz protein, a wedge of avocado and a few chopped veggies. Celery, green onion and radish

Dinner same as lunch with a small salad. Sometimes some steamed veg like a few asparagus spears or brussel sprout.

Snacks are olives, a few nuts or a small piece of cheese.

I eat an 80% fat diet but mostly Mediterranean fats. An entire large avocado divided into my meals, olive oil or mayo on protein, An ounce of cheese some days and about an ounce of macadamia/pecans.

I eat a wide variety of proteins,, chicken, turkey, fish, shrimp, tuna, salmon, eggs, rare lamb and beef slices.

I eat small meals every three hours as food in general makes me tired and hungry. Some of course less than others.
Avocado keeps my energy, bg and stomach very happy.
My meals are based on 2 oz of protein and 1/3 avocado.
I eat bf, make my lunch and split into two meals, a happy hour snack ( usually melted Brie with pecans and green onion or a soft boiled egg with bacon and onion split with hubby ). Then dinner. So I eat about 5 times a day but very small.
I’m not sure what it is but food bogs me down in general and my stomach does not like a lot of veggies but has no problem with fat and protein hence the keto / ultra low carb diet. Then I just plugg along steady everything

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 62Rose

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh boy, you might not like this haha. I’m keto/ vlc per bg and ‘reactions’
Bf is a slice of avocado smashed in a slice of deli turkey/ chicken

Lunch is 2 oz protein, a wedge of avocado and a few chopped veggies. Celery, green onion and radish

Dinner same as lunch with a small salad. Sometimes some steamed veg like a few asparagus spears or brussel sprout.

Snacks are olives, a few nuts or a small piece of cheese.

I eat an 80% fat diet but mostly Mediterranean fats. An entire large avocado divided into my meals, olive oil or mayo on protein, An ounce of cheese some days and about an ounce of macadamia/pecans.

I eat a wide variety of proteins,, chicken, turkey, fish, shrimp, tuna, salmon, eggs, rare lamb and beef slices.

I eat small meals every three hours as food in general makes me tired and hungry. Some of course less than others.
Avocado keeps my energy, bg and stomach very happy.
My meals are based on 2 oz of protein and 1/3 avocado.
I eat bf, make my lunch and split into two meals, a happy hour snack ( usually melted Brie with pecans and green onion or a soft boiled egg with bacon and onion split with hubby ). Then dinner. So I eat about 5 times a day but very small.
I’m not sure what it is but food bogs me down in general and my stomach does not like a lot of veggies but has no problem with fat and protein hence the keto / ultra low carb diet. Then I just plugg along steady everything

Hope that helps!
It does, very much, thanks. This diet seems to be the way to go and has been suggested by Lamont too. I have tried it 3 times over the last month's ,each time lasting up to the 3rd day. When I'm on it, my brain doesn't get enough fuel and I get very anxious. I have actually done it for a few months in my past, but my body never seemed to adjust to it, even though I ate a lot more than you.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It does, very much, thanks. This diet seems to be the way to go and has been suggested by Lamont too. I have tried it 3 times over the last month's ,each time lasting up to the 3rd day. When I'm on it, my brain doesn't get enough fuel and I get very anxious. I have actually done it for a few months in my past, but my body never seemed to adjust to it, even though I ate a lot more than you.
It’s called the low carb flu. Takes a week or so to switch over to fat burning. Try adding avocado as some fat. For me it gives me more energy than other fats. Also add salt to foods or drink broth with butter/ ghee and salt in the morning. Lc is dehydrating by nature so you need to replenish your electrolytes as your urine is excreting them.

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It’s called the low carb flu. Takes a week or so to switch over to fat burning. Try adding avocado as some fat. For me it gives me more energy than other fats. Also add salt to foods or drink broth with butter/ ghee and salt in the morning. Lc is dehydrating by nature so you need to replenish your electrolytes as your urine is excreting them.
Thanks