does lansoprazole raise blood sugar

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does lansoprazole raise blood sugar?

I have neen put on this by my GP as I was suffering from excess stomach acid, but since I have been my morning sugar levels seem to be high er than they previously have been.

Has anyone had this issue?

Just thought I would ask before I my next GP visit

Reactions: SWUSA_
C

catherinecherub

If you google then you will see that for some people there is a rise in blood sugars and yet for others there is a drop.
If you haven't altered your diet and are not feeling unwell then it could be the medication.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I took 30mg of it for years and didn't affect me either way. :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I take it every day have done for years has had no affect as far as I can tell.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I took omeprazole and had the same affect... Consultants and medics dismissed it so I reported it to the MHRA as it was obvious they werent going to...
Unless people report these sude effects to MHRA the side efeects will never be accurately listed and the medics will always dismiss us.
For me my medics took me off omeprazole for hives and itching as the reason- but only when I offered to show them photos....

Reactions: NoSugarBabe

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I took omeprazole and had the same affect... Consultants and medics dismissed it so I reported it to the MHRA as it was obvious they werent going to...
Unless people report these sude effects to MHRA the side efeects will never be accurately listed and the medics will always dismiss us.
For me my medics took me off omeprazole for hives and itching as the reason- but only when I offered to show them photos....

All my levels were raised.... The medics put it down to stress.. I said I'm only stressed because the tablets have raised all my bloods!! (They have dropped now, and now I'm fighting oglff lows and aving to change all my meds again.. Which proves it isn't stress as hypo's also cause me stress..

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
More than 15 years backlong before I was diagnosed diabetic for the same reason I was put on drugs from the same Proton Pump Inhibitor family the result was a general feeling of lack of energy and a mild hangover like feeling there were also other side effects such as dry eyes. All the drugs from the same group had the same effect, Looking back I now suspect I was already pre-diabetic and the drugs were raising my blood glucose level.
The solution for me was the older class of drugs use to treat excess stomach acid which are a type of anti-histamine I have found a low non-prescription dose (75mg) of Ranitidine taken 2 or 3 times daily works for me.

I am not say this will work for you but you should perhaps discuss it with your GP, whatever you do remember keeping acid reflux under control is very important to your longterm health

ashette

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is very interesting. I was on a 2 month course of omeprazole shortly before I was diagnosed as prediabetic!

avalon67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found this page trying to find a link between Lasoprazole and my high sugar readings.
For 3/4 years my A1C was 6.4, my doctor changed my prescription from Ranitidine & Omeprazole to a higher dose (30mg) of Lansoprazole last May. In July I lost control of my blood glucose, as someone mentions upthread, my morning glucose started to be in the teens. An abscess on my kidney complicated things and it was assumed that was causing my problems, or having hypo's overnight, which I assured the nurse I wasn't.
Final straw, last Friday I suddenly suffered from a floater in my left eye, a trip to the eye clinic on Monday and it seems I'm hemorrhaging, after years of being told how well I was doing.
Yesterday I stopped taking Lansoprazole, overnight I was around the 4.5-4.9 mark and this morning my glucose was 4.5.
I'm seeing the nurse at the diabetes clinic next week, but it seems as though I may have found the answer myself.
Q: Why didn't any of the health professionals pick up on this?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found this page trying to find a link between Lasoprazole and my high sugar readings.
For 3/4 years my A1C was 6.4, my doctor changed my prescription from Ranitidine & Omeprazole to a higher dose (30mg) of Lansoprazole last May. In July I lost control of my blood glucose, as someone mentions upthread, my morning glucose started to be in the teens. An abscess on my kidney complicated things and it was assumed that was causing my problems, or having hypo's overnight, which I assured the nurse I wasn't.
Final straw, last Friday I suddenly suffered from a floater in my left eye, a trip to the eye clinic on Monday and it seems I'm hemorrhaging, after years of being told how well I was doing.
Yesterday I stopped taking Lansoprazole, overnight I was around the 4.5-4.9 mark and this morning my glucose was 4.5.
I'm seeing the nurse at the diabetes clinic next week, but it seems as though I may have found the answer myself.
Q: Why didn't any of the health professionals pick up on this?
The FDA in US has a warning out on Omeprazole interfering with oral meds It does not carry across to the other two variants such as Lansoprazole.
I found my Lanzoprazole was interfering with my Gliclazide dose in the moring, so I retimed ny Glic tab until midday, and my bgl levels recovered to where I expected them to be. My pharmacy immediately rang me and told me off for playing around with my scrip, but I had discussed this with my GP , and my scrip had just been changed to make it formal. Then they tried again to pooh pooh me and refused to make the change. Then I pointed out that PPI's are contraindicated for the Iron supplement I was on. They said it is not in the BNF so they were right and Boots WebMD (i.e. their site ) was wrong. So I had to get the doctor to ring them to make the change happen. Then they omitted the Iron tabs, so I had to get another scrip to get the meds. Jobsworth!!!!!!!
Anyway, I think Lansoprazole interferred with other meds and supplements I was taking, so I would suggest shifting the timings so it is clear of other meds (apart from any actual med it is supposed to cover, such as aspirin) There is a general warning that PPI's can interfere with any medicine that requires an acid environment for absorbtion, so applies to Iron and Vit B supps. It also depletes magnesium levels when used long term. I now take mine last thing at night.

http://www.healthcaresolutions.com/pdf/alerts/proton_pump_inhibitors_alert.pdf
http://www.ebmconsult.com/articles/...n-ferrous-sulfate-replacement-anemia-evidence
https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/iron-fumarate-with-omeprazole-1077-13327-1750-0.html

avalon67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a follow up, a few days after I posted this I was again searching for links between Lansoprazole and hyperglycemia and found this
http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/lansoprazole/hyperglycemia/
I tick all the boxes, male, over 60 and showed signs of hyperglycemia just a short while after starting on Lansoprazole and on three of the common co-used drugs.

My control is now back to "normal", though not quite as tight as it was pre Lansoprazole. My doctor has changed my script back to Ranitidine (making me aware of the risk of pneumonia) and has written to the vascular consultant who prescribed Clopidogrel asking if I can change blood thinners as Omeprazole clashes with Clopidogrel!

I'll report back in a few weeks :)

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Very interesting-I am supposed to be on omeprazole but took myself off it because it did not work for me-I still had acid reflux episodes at night which triggered nighttime asthma for me. Lansoprazole gave me diarrhea. I put myself back on Nexium (generic is esomeprazole) which is now over the counter here but found that I could take a lower dose than I had previously been prescribed and still control my acid reflux at my new slightly lower weight. I lost 10 pounds on purpose for improved health. I actually have not tested to see if it raises my fasting glucose. I take it with a metformin and Claritan (loratidine 10 mg) before breakfast. I am a few pounds below the weight at which I put myself back on Nexium and plan to lose a few more. My blood glucose has been good this week so I will just hold steady for now, but will consider this information in the future.

I am surprised at how many of us take something for excess stomach acid. I thought I was somewhat unique there.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm finding I too have asthma from acid reflux.
Anyone else?

Ps. I know old thread but very interesting info within, I found.

jimfraser

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have taken Lanzoprazole for several years but recently all my food tastes metallic. Stopped the drug so see what happens.... Should have had a hospital review but not happened. Need to phone them. My GP in March advised stopping Novopen 30 insulin because blood sugars are around 7 with no insulin.... Still check blood sugars 2x day and if over 9 take a shot of insulin. Take insulin 2 or 3 times a week. Any comments?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have taken Lanzoprazole for several years but recently all my food tastes metallic. Stopped the drug so see what happens.... Should have had a hospital review but not happened. Need to phone them. My GP in March advised stopping Novopen 30 insulin because blood sugars are around 7 with no insulin.... Still check blood sugars 2x day and if over 9 take a shot of insulin. Take insulin 2 or 3 times a week. Any comments?
Can you restart lanzoprazole on a one day on, one day off to see if any help? If no allergy to lanzoprazole try titrating to help with tolerance. Then see if no insulin needed again?

walkingman

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My OH has type 2 and they have some of the symptoms of a stomach ulcer.
I've read into this and I gather this happens to other diabetics as this thread has shown.
We have some older Lansoprazole left over from 2009 in a cupboard and I am wondering if its too old to use.
Normally they'd see the doctor but we are both classed as at-risk from Corona and appointments are difficult to get at the moment. Plus we have no wish to go out more than needed following the Govt advice.
Can anyone help?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My OH has type 2 and they have some of the symptoms of a stomach ulcer.
I've read into this and I gather this happens to other diabetics as this thread has shown.
We have some older Lansoprazole left over from 2009 in a cupboard and I am wondering if its too old to use.
Normally they'd see the doctor but we are both classed as at-risk from Corona and appointments are difficult to get at the moment. Plus we have no wish to go out more than needed following the Govt advice.
Can anyone help?
Yep 2009 too much of a best before date as today is March 2020.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This med works by reducing stomach acid, so any OTC stomach remedy that reduces stonach acid will help at a pinch. Personally I find Gaviscon to give me other problems so is no longer a goto for me, but milk of magnesia, bisodol or rennies spring to mind as possibly suitable as a stopgap until you get better advice. Sodium bicarb is in the same class and comes in the form of soda mints. but bakers may have this to hand in the larder.