Does metformin mean no more drinking?

hophead

I am on Metformin and drink real ale without side effects. I try to stick to lower strength beers to reduce the carbs but I am happy to consider the whole carb intake so by reducing processed foods such as bread I am happy to drink real ale in moderation.

terrierist

I'm on 1000g x 2 a day... The beer that knocks me sideways is Stella Artois, it REALLY upsets my stomach, sometimes with just one pint of it or a can..

Real ale is fine, as is wine, but if I have a night out or a party and drink over 5 pints, I know the following day is written off due to a gippy stomach..

:sick:

X-entricity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on slow release metformin and still enjoy my wine. Too much does however give me a headache. This I totally blame on the metformin.

hophead

terrierist said:
The beer that knocks me sideways is Stella Artois, it REALLY upsets my stomach, sometimes with just one pint of it or a can..
Real ale is fine
There is a lesson there! :thumbup:

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
hophead - the lesson is keep off of the continental c**p ! stick to a real ale, there are, as I am sure you know, lots of great ales out there. Oh, and join CAMRA !

X-entricity - you are dead right ! perhaps you should take a rennie and 2 paracetemols with your tipple ! If you have enough wine you shouldn't need the toilets friendly drug of choice !

I take met***tin to the meter reading and generally have a bottle of a decent red a day.

SuperHIC !

alex621

I think alcohol is fine with it as long as it is in small doses and not binge drinking, but seek advice from NHS helpline to be sure

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I am on 1000 mgs metformin 2x per day and the only problem I have had with the red wine that I drink is that the price keeps going up :lol:
CAROL
Very good. That and the fact that I have two hands but only one mouth.

D

Deleted member 308541

I take Metformin, and I drink low carb beer, single malt whisky, a good bottle of red, but not always in that order.

Nellie Naidoo

I am a 75yr old indian female I take 1000mg metformin in the morning and the same at nite I still have whiskey which I lovery but I'm fine but I don't take meds wen I'm having whiskey and no side effects I always go for blood tests all normal so I feel don't always listen to google