does this sound ok (food)

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
does this sound ok for type 2 (sorry still getting my head around things as well as following slimming world as much as i can)
i got a slow new cooker yesterday as having no energy i like to chuck it all in and leave it
beef mince, cabbage, tinned tomatoes, chick peas, kidney beans, onions, mushrooms, peppers, few herbs and spices and veg stock
sorry if a silly question

Reactions: Ixarix

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not convinced chick peas and kidney beans are low enough carbs, but it depends how your body reacts after having eaten the food. You would need to test before eating it and again 2 hours after first bite to see what your reaction is. We all differ with what we can tolerate.

Hotpepper20000

Sounds very yummy too me.
Best way to know if it is ok for you is to test your BG before and after.
Some people have problems with legumes. Others are fine with it.
Keep us updated

Reactions: licklemoose

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm following slimming world I'm no expert and someone may correct me but I swap out the pasta for healthier version I.e wholewheat or seeded bread and wholemeal pasta and I use less carbs

D

Deleted Account

Pulses like beans and chickpeas are strange - some of us digest them and, hence, consume the carbs which may raise BG; some people enjoy the flavour, benefit from the fibre but don't digest the carbs so they have no impact on our BG.
The only way to tell whether you are a pulse carb consumer is to test before and test afterwards.

But as as t1 who eats carbs and takes the appropriate amount of insulin, it sounds great.

One final point ... because no one else has said it yet ... there is no reason to apologise for a silly question - there aren't any.

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
I'm not convinced chick peas and kidney beans are low enough carbs, but it depends how your body reacts after having eaten the food. You would need to test before eating it and again 2 hours after first bite to see what your reaction is. We all differ with what we can tolerate.
was 1 tin of each and its a 6.5 liter slow cooker but will check before and after

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
I'm following slimming world I'm no expert and someone may correct me but I swap out the pasta for healthier version I.e wholewheat or seeded bread and wholemeal pasta and I use less carbs
im ok with basmati rice, i have some brown rice to try at some point
im just eating pretty much what i know i can eat, will try other things when other health worries are sorted

Reactions: TIANDB

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's basically what I'm doing and testing to see what spikes my sugars I find most of sw meals are OK with my bloods but it's not a one size fits all am only going on my experience am sure someone who is a bit more savvy will come along soon and give you some more pointers

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
does this sound ok for type 2 (sorry still getting my head around things as well as following slimming world as much as i can)
i got a slow new cooker yesterday as having no energy i like to chuck it all in and leave it
beef mince, cabbage, tinned tomatoes, chick peas, kidney beans, onions, mushrooms, peppers, few herbs and spices and veg stock
sorry if a silly question
I would be ok with those ingredients but the portion size is critical.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There is a Low Carb programme right here on DCUK, it is free and it has helped thousands of people, well worth a looksee.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

If you are not on meds that lower blood glucose and you are trying to lower your bg with diet alone then swapping to wholemeal breads and pasta will make no difference at all. Some of the brown breads have a higher glycaemic number than white bread there is very little difference in the carb counts. The same goes for rice, no difference in numbers.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are healthier choices though aren't they?

For non-diabetics, yes, indeed they are more healthy that the white equivalents, but if you are hoping to control your diabetes you do have to be careful and test to make sure you aren't overdoing the quantities.

S

serenity648

They are healthier choices though aren't they?
I can eat some wholemeal bread, but not white bread, so you may find you are the same. Have you got a meter so you can test your own personal reaction to carbs? I find mine invaluable in finding out what I can and cannot eat.

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm confused doesn't that advice work for both types of bread it's all about portion sizing

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I can eat some wholemeal bread, but not white bread, so you may find you are the same. Have you got a meter so you can test your own personal reaction to carbs? I find mine invaluable in finding out what I can and cannot eat.
Yes I test my bloods regularly I've never really tested after white bread because since diagnoses and on the advice of diabetic nurse I swapped out all white for wholemeal

S

serenity648

Yes I test my bloods regularly I've never really tested after white bread because since diagnoses and on the advice of diabetic nurse I swapped out all white for wholemeal
I wasnt suggesting you try white bread.

I am pointing out that our reactions to carbs are different, even the same type of carbs eg white and wholemeal bread. It sounds like you can eat wholemeal bread in small portions. Some people cant eat any bread at all, and get a spike regardless of the type they eat.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
White bread will spike faster than wholemeal. The difference is, the peaks will be lower after wholemeal but will last longer, and if you are looking at the time spent above baseline, (the area under the curve of a graph) there is probably very little difference.

Reactions: Zilsniggy

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was only saying that I swapped them out because I do eat carbs and surely the healthier option would be the wiser choice