does this sound ok (food)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know what? I havent tried any beans to see what happens to me. I know baked beans are out, but that could be the tomato sauce? Thanks for asking this @licklemoose klemoose.

Baked beans are something I could not manage at all, but in the last few months I decided to give them another go as it was over 3 years since I last tried. I am pleased to announce I can now eat them with a fry up type meal (so not many other carbs), but not the portion size I used to eat pre-diagnosis. I have a tablespoon full. It is lovely to have them back. :)

Reactions: Daphne917

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do you know what? I havent tried any beans to see what happens to me. I know baked beans are out, but that could be the tomato sauce? Thanks for asking this @licklemoose klemoose.

I expect that the more the beans are cooked (to make them softer) the faster the carbs will get into our body, sometimes the source has suger in it as well.

Hotpepper20000

Chick peas seem to be ok for me.
I make a curry with them, chicken and Cauliflower, it works well in the slow cooker.
I shred cabbage and put in the bottom of the bowl raw and pour the curry over it.
Very nice and no need for rice.

Reactions: Ixarix and ringi

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Chick peas seem to be ok for me.
I make a curry with them, chicken and Cauliflower, it works well in the slow cooker.
I shred cabbage and put in the bottom of the bowl raw and pour the curry over it.
Very nice and no need for rice.
Sounds good.

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
campfire stew for tea tonight
joint of pork, baked beans, tinned tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms and herbs ect
once cooked you shred the pork
stressful day
hour before eating 7.8 (had a pack of hula hoops as was starving
hour later 6.7
hour later 7.5
wasnt feeling well so 45 mins later6.2

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
does this sound ok for type 2 (sorry still getting my head around things as well as following slimming world as much as i can)
i got a slow new cooker yesterday as having no energy i like to chuck it all in and leave it
beef mince, cabbage, tinned tomatoes, chick peas, kidney beans, onions, mushrooms, peppers, few herbs and spices and veg stock
sorry if a silly question

I'm not convinced that Slimming World is a great diet for diabetics. There really aren't 'free foods' for diabetics, plus all this advocating low fat processed foods such as certain yoghurts etc. And potatoes and pasta and rice free? Nonsense. All it does is mislead people, especially newly diagnosed T2 diabetics, into thinking that they can eat all these foods unscathed. The unfortunate thing is that all diabetics are different in their reaction to certain foods, what spikes me may not spike you, but the only way to find out if what you're cooking and eating affects you is to test before you eat then at 1 and 2 hours after, that's the only way you'll know.

Last edited:

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
I'm not convinced that Slimming World is a great diet for diabetics. There really aren't 'free foods' for diabetics, plus all this advocating low fat processed foods such as certain yoghurts etc. And potatoes and pasta and rice free? Nonsense. All it does is mislead people, especially newly diagnosed T2 diabetics, into thinking that they can eat all these foods unscathed. The unfortunate thing is that all diabetics are different in their reaction to certain foods, what spikes me may not spike you, but the only way to find out if what you're cooking and eating affects you is to test before you eat then at 1 and 2 hours after, that's the only way you'll know.
i did follow slimming world with the endless pasta, rice, potatoes, fat taken off my meat and low fat yogurts
then i got diagnosed type 2 so now i have full fat greek yogurts
fat on my meat
low carb bread
we cook in oil now rather than fry light
i was losing weight every week up until 2 weeks ago when i stayed the same and last week had a 1/2 lb gain
im 1 1/2lb off 2 stone loss since being diagnosed but have noticed when im stressed ill eat what i want and not care but now its cold most of my meals are done in the slow cooker so even if there are carbs added it feeds 9 of us with some left for the next day and i bulk it out with veggies