Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @amylivinglife How exciting :) My niece did hers last year in Wales, she really enjoyed it.

Best advice is to do regular tests, so stop every 2 hours and check, keep a good supply of glucose so jelly babies in your pocket, glucogel in your bag, along with easy to eat carbs, so take a packet of digestives as they are 10g of carb per biscuit, and easier to carry than crisps. Personally when I exercise I drop my basal rate but as you're out for quite a long time, think about how and when to inject if you're on injections, also check any insulin adjustments with your DSN beforehand. Also make sure an instructor and a friend know what to do if you are starting to go low so they can recognise your symptoms. Am sure others will offer advice too, but other than all this have an amazing time.

Reactions: azure
D

Deleted Account

Awesome - I'm jealous I never got the chance to do this when I was younger.

@Juicyj has mentioned most of the things I can.
My only additional advice would be to practice longer activities before the day of the DofE. No need to go for the full day in your practice but the more you can do beforehand, the more you know how your body/diabetes will react. And you will be fitter.

I'm excited for you - enjoy the experience (even if it doesn't feel enjoyable at the time, you will make some amazing memories).

amylivinglife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @amylivinglife How exciting :) My niece did hers last year in Wales, she really enjoyed it.

Best advice is to do regular tests, so stop every 2 hours and check, keep a good supply of glucose so jelly babies in your pocket, glucogel in your bag, along with easy to eat carbs, so take a packet of digestives as they are 10g of carb per biscuit, and easier to carry than crisps. Personally when I exercise I drop my basal rate but as you're out for quite a long time, think about how and when to inject if you're on injections, also check any insulin adjustments with your DSN beforehand. Also make sure an instructor and a friend know what to do if you are starting to go low so they can recognise your symptoms. Am sure others will offer advice too, but other than all this have an amazing time.

Thanks, that's really useful

amylivinglife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Awesome - I'm jealous I never got the chance to do this when I was younger.

@Juicyj has mentioned most of the things I can.
My only additional advice would be to practice longer activities before the day of the DofE. No need to go for the full day in your practice but the more you can do beforehand, the more you know how your body/diabetes will react. And you will be fitter.

I'm excited for you - enjoy the experience (even if it doesn't feel enjoyable at the time, you will make some amazing memories).

Yeah I am going to go on longer walks on the week leading up to it, thanks for the advice
I was meant to do it last year with my friends, but it was the weekend I was diagnosed with diabetes so I am doing it with the year below, but it will still be amazing :)

Reactions: Kim Possible