Don't be afraid of being afraid...

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
For those who are newly diagnosed, feel free to join the forum and tell us your fears. We are many who have lived with chronic illness and have learned to deal with it. We come together to share our experience and make your journey easier. Why? Because we care! I am here for anyone who needs support. I do what I can to ease the burden. But I don't have all the answers. Just experience. We are here for you!

Nicola54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That was my first reaction when I found out I had diabetes - a hard lump of fear! I am still running scared - but am slowly learning what to eat - and how to live with it.
I am see-sawing between managing my diet well and feeling what the hell! It is my mind I need to manage - if I am feeling this is so unfair or why me - then everything is so difficult ........ but if I stay positive and more upbeat then everything is much easier. I read the comments on the forum a lot (but don't post much) and you all help such a lot. It feels nice to just have you all there. .....like you have got my back! Diabetes seems to have taken over my life and I just want it back again. I know that will happen in time - when I get used to it - or do you ever?

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
That was my first reaction when I found out I had diabetes - a hard lump of fear! I am still running scared - but am slowly learning what to eat - and how to live with it.
I am see-sawing between managing my diet well and feeling what the hell! It is my mind I need to manage - if I am feeling this is so unfair or why me - then everything is so difficult ........ but if I stay positive and more upbeat then everything is much easier. I read the comments on the forum a lot (but don't post much) and you all help such a lot. It feels nice to just have you all there. .....like you have got my back! Diabetes seems to have taken over my life and I just want it back again. I know that will happen in time - when I get used to it - or do you ever?
Thank you for the compliment. All of us welcome new members, in numbers we grow strong. In dedication we make a place for those in need.

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For those who are newly diagnosed, feel free to join the forum and tell us your fears. We are many who have lived with chronic illness and have learned to deal with it. We come together to share our experience and make your journey easier. Why? Because we care! I am here for anyone who needs support. I do what I can to ease the burden. But I don't have all the answers. Just experience. We are here for you!

Great work. It's taken me 32 years to open up about diabetes. Obviously now I can't shut up :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes and maybe we can also end up being a really strong presure group that do get the ears and brains opened in all the GP´s in the nothern hemisphere to see how well diabetes can be adviced, and also have them notice the great results so many get from getting real quallity support and informations and discussions of the problematic sides of all the diabetic occuring and adding problems...

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
yes and maybe we can also end up being a really strong presure group that do get the ears and brains opened in all the GP´s in the nothern hemisphere to see how well diabetes can be adviced, and also have them notice the great results so many get from getting real quallity support and informations and discussions of the problematic sides of all the diabetic occuring and adding problems...
Amen.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
My first 5 years as a diabetic were a nightmare! Besieged by 'armchair authorities' and people who simply did not understand what this condition will do to you. When I dragged my heels during hypers, I was deemed as lazy. When I suffered emotional swings, I was being childish! There was little or no support until I raised hell in hospital after a 2nd heart attack in 2011. It was then that someone realised that I was on ineffective insulin. I was told that I fell between the cracks! Very bad mistake!!

I am isolated here in the ACT, the rest of my family are scattered across NSW, so I had no family support at the worst times of my life. The forum, for me is a godsend.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
You get used to it, but sometimes you can get complacent (Guilty your Honor!). Be careful, don't fall into this trap!

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I agree for 6 years i religiously stuck to a diet lost 6 stone in the hope i could controll the diabetes WRONG it did nto controll it at all so ended up on Insulin since being on Insulin I find i eat more and have already put a stone back on arghhhh need to try cut the insulin down or out..........

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I agree for 6 years i religiously stuck to a diet lost 6 stone in the hope i could controll the diabetes WRONG it did nto controll it at all so ended up on Insulin since being on Insulin I find i eat more and have already put a stone back on arghhhh need to try cut the insulin down or out..........
It's a balancing act. You learn to divert patterns of hunger, determining which is genuine hunger and which is comfort eating.

paintylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
9 weeks since diagnosis and I've never been so scared in all my life! It's the sheer overwhelming amount of stuff to suddenly have to think about, plus the realisation that my years of trying to lose weight (up and down like a fiddlers elbow) was flawed because I relied on carbs and fruit. The weight is shifting but still a way to go, struggling with getting bg numbers down but the trend is good (except for the mornings which keep wandering back into double figures)
It's the first thing I think of when I wake up and the last thing at night, I admit I'm finding it tiring mentally but this forum does help, it took a while but I have realised that it is so individual, I was getting sad because I was comparing myself to others, I've given up looking at people's fasting bg levels because I can only dream about seeing such low numbers (for now! I'll get there!!) but overall this has helped me so much, I feel much less alone and I can normally find the information or answer I'm looking for. I don't know much but because of you lot I'm getting there.

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm not afraid so much of my new t1 diagnosis... But I've had a lot medically going on lately though.

Had a gut MRI done recently for other issues, endocrinologist took a look as the pancreas was in the pictures, although off to the side, so not great detail.
He's ordered an exclusive pancreas MRI as there appears to be a lesion in the 'tail' of it, and it's generally shrunk/shrivelled/atrophied... Also just discovered a lump/mass in a salivary gland under my tongue...

Also I've had a separate autoimmune diagnosis in these few weeks.

( what good is my pancreas with T1 anyway? )

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm not afraid of diabetes but I'm afraid of the amount of ignorance there is about it. Now that IS scary!

I've had remission in the past pre diagnosis and can prove symptoms when I was 6yr old. Yes, type 2. Neither wonder I have severe insulin resistance. Scary. There could be more 6yr olds with it, right now. But with no test how could they be helped before it becomes beyond reversal? Scary.