dont test cant test

wainsworld

hi everyone been looking at some of the topics on this site but need some advice if possible I have been type 2 since feb 2012 and after the first few months of going to see doc and nurse managed to get level down from 13.5 to 5.2 then in November felt rough and was tested and was 7.5 at this point doctor put metformin up to 2 grams a day I live in the uk and nurse doc say don't test because im only type 2 but was wondering is there anyone in the uk that has been told to test as some of you are testing sugar levels all the time as im feeling tired sick one day then ok then sick then tired really mixed up on what to do
thanks for any advice

dorne

Dislikes
hate using injections and people who look at you as if you're a junkie when you have to do them in public! Diabetic sweets n choc.....YUK
Hi there, I'm type 2 and I test 3 times a day. I live in South Wales and am encouraged by my diabetes team to test xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am told that I dont need to test but I do test because I need to know how my BGs are and how I react to various foods
CAROL

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Wainsworld, :)

When you went to your doctor to be told 7.5, could have been avoided if self tested sooner and controlled by you. ( you may still have been 5.2 if self controlled)

I do not understand why GP's just say "NHS can't afford for Type 2 to have free test units, however sensible to buy and control at your own expense".

You can buy Codefree test meters and strips from Amazon at a very good price.

Good luck and with some control you will soon reduce your bg,

Roy. :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
My practice supply all their diabetics with a meter and test strips on prescription, regardless of Type. (You can quote this if you like - just say "you know of at least one practice in North Yorkshire" instead of being more specific.)

They are the most useful tool for learning which foods affect your BG levels, and I would not have got such good control of my Type 2 without testing. I occasionally have a lapse - fish and chips last night! - but on the whole I try to eat very low carb, because it's carbs that send my BG up. Usually I am never outside non-diabetic levels now - ie, 3.5 - 5.5 fasting/before meals, and less than 8, 2 hours after. My HbA1c has come down from 6.5 on diagnosis to 5.4 (last time).

Have you had the "advice for newbies" that Daisy1 posts? The testing regime on there - just before, and 2 hours after, each meal - will show you exactly how different foods affect your BGs. Once you learn which foods to avoid, you don't need to test anything like as much. Now, I don't even test every day, as long as I'm not eating new foods. Occasionally I'll do a week of testing - fasting, before/after meals, and bedtime, just to double-check.

Get a Carb Counter book to help you choose foods, and set a level of carbs to eat daily. I need to eat very-low-carb, but I have one friend who manages his blood glucose exceptionally well on 130/150g carb daily. We are all different! if I ate as recommended by the NHS I'd probably always be in double figures!

This is all a preamble to suggesting that you tell your GP or nurse that you want to become more proactive in controlling your diabetes, and could they let you have a meter and strips on prescription to help you learn how to take control. This is as advised by the NICE guidelines for the treatment of Type 2 - your GP is supposed to encourage you to become more proactive in your treatment and help to educate you in controlling your diabetes. The key phrases are in italics.

If they are reluctant, ask them to give you the kit for a 3-month trial period to see how you get on. That is an eminently reasonable request, and if they refuse, ask who you should complain to!

It will cost far less to give you the tools for control now, than to treat you for complications as the diabetes progresses. Tight control means that Type 2 will progress more slowly, - if at all, IMHO.

Do ask - they can only say no, but don't accept that for an answer. If you hit a brick wall, buy your own - and crow over them as your figures improve. Good luck!

Viv 8)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Here is the information that Viv was referring to. I hope you find it helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

shazchaudary

Hi

Although I am a type 2 on 2x500mg metformin twice daily am not encouraged to test frequently even though im struggling with understanding what works for me.

I asked for a Desmond course or similar and was told i don't need it.

I have joined this forum to help me take control.

Shaz

Sent from my GT-N7100 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For two years after being diagnosed I was just told to eat healthily and do some exercise and my numbers slowly got worse. My nurse then prescribed glimepiride and gave me a meter. It seems that they only give you a meter if you have a medication which could make you hypo.

I used the meter and learned a great deal resulting in me getting my Hba1c down to 42.

After all that my opinion is that everyone diagnosed should beg, borrow or buy a meter and get into the habit of testing. I wasted two years slowly getting worse without it.

And I could go on and on and .................

Oh yes, I forgot the important bit. I ordered test strips and was told I was rationed to only one a day.

wainsworld

thanks to all of you who have replied im seeing the doctor next week so will ask again for a meter and see what response I get I will have to see if I can afford the meter but it seems the strips are the expensive part of the kit thanks again for your time guys
jimmy

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
wainsworld said:
thanks to all of you who have replied im seeing the doctor next week so will ask again for a meter and see what response I get I will have to see if I can afford the meter but it seems the strips are the expensive part of the kit thanks again for your time guys
jimmy

Hi Jimmy

When i first got diagnosed my doc wasnt keen on me testing, but eventually prescribed me strips etc as i was on meds that could cause hypos. Fast forward to today and he actually said that i do brill with my testing and even reminded me of his reluctance at first, i'm now on max dose of gliclazide and metformin so hes even more keen now for me to carry on testing.

If he wont give u any meters, strips etc ask if you can have the urine sticks, they aint as accurate but thats what my doc gave me at first and it did give some reassurance :D

Shirl

twinkle1980

viviennem said:
My practice supply all their diabetics with a meter and test strips on prescription, regardless of Type. (You can quote this if you like - just say "you know of at least one practice in North Yorkshire" instead of being more specific.)

They are the most useful tool for learning which foods affect your BG levels, and I would not have got such good control of my Type 2 without testing. I occasionally have a lapse - fish and chips last night! - but on the whole I try to eat very low carb, because it's carbs that send my BG up. Usually I am never outside non-diabetic levels now - ie, 3.5 - 5.5 fasting/before meals, and less than 8, 2 hours after. My HbA1c has come down from 6.5 on diagnosis to 5.4 (last time).

Have you had the "advice for newbies" that Daisy1 posts? The testing regime on there - just before, and 2 hours after, each meal - will show you exactly how different foods affect your BGs. Once you learn which foods to avoid, you don't need to test anything like as much. Now, I don't even test every day, as long as I'm not eating new foods. Occasionally I'll do a week of testing - fasting, before/after meals, and bedtime, just to double-check.

Get a Carb Counter book to help you choose foods, and set a level of carbs to eat daily. I need to eat very-low-carb, but I have one friend who manages his blood glucose exceptionally well on 130/150g carb daily. We are all different! if I ate as recommended by the NHS I'd probably always be in double figures!

This is all a preamble to suggesting that you tell your GP or nurse that you want to become more proactive in controlling your diabetes, and could they let you have a meter and strips on prescription to help you learn how to take control. This is as advised by the NICE guidelines for the treatment of Type 2 - your GP is supposed to encourage you to become more proactive in your treatment and help to educate you in controlling your diabetes. The key phrases are in italics.

If they are reluctant, ask them to give you the kit for a 3-month trial period to see how you get on. That is an eminently reasonable request, and if they refuse, ask who you should complain to!

It will cost far less to give you the tools for control now, than to treat you for complications as the diabetes progresses. Tight control means that Type 2 will progress more slowly, - if at all, IMHO.

Do ask - they can only say no, but don't accept that for an answer. If you hit a brick wall, buy your own - and crow over them as your figures improve. Good luck!

Viv 8)

And another in Swindon Wiltshire which prescribes meters and strips for ALL diabetic patients.

BTW VIV wensleydale has to be my favourite place in the world - its my spiritual home (not that I am remotely spiritual), but it feeds my soul. VERY jealous right now.

sal x

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Sal

Yes, Wensleydale is God's own special bit of God's own county of Yorkshire! :wink: Except that at the moment it's very cold and we're all battening down the hatches and waiting for the snow!

My family left here 200 years ago for Leeds, but the first time I visited I knew this was my spiritual home and decided, at age 50, almost broke and unemployed, that I had nothing left to lose so I might as well move to where I wanted to be! Best decision I ever made - I went self-employed, made enough to live on, and am now retired into a Council OAP-designated bungalow with a nice garden, in a lovely village. Wonderful neighbours - if I want a lie-in I have to get up at 08:00 and open the living room curtains, otherwise there'll be someone banging on the door to see if I'm dead! :shock: :lol:

One GP lives in this village and another in the next. He has Wolfhounds, so every time I need a Wolfhound hug I go round to his house! I'm trying to persuade him to give me one on prescription (good exercise!) only I'd have to camp on the lawn 'cos there's not room for me and a wolfhound in this bungalow! :lol:

Viv 8)

Reactions: 2 people

stephiesut

I am type 2 and I test daily, I get my strips and monitor on prescription.

I do understand why they dont all routinely encourage type 2's to test, as it is expensive and some people just dont need to, or even want to test. My mum is type 2 and she has no desire to test, she is also very well managed and so has no need to test.
But I have very badly managed type 2 and so I test. My gp's official stance is they will only give one box of strips per 6 months on prescription for type 2's but in reality they do give you more if you ask. Hubby gets a box a month at least, I only ask for one every couple of months and get them.