Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi guys.
Anyone on tresiba and novarapid insulin regime?

I'm 20stone and I really don't fancy eating, most of the time. I know that's because humulin m3 in huge doses is covering me with insulin so very few high bgs. Good bgs are suppressing my appetite, especially on an evening.
However, this morning I've woke feeling I don't want to eat. I feel I'm having to plan a breakfast, I don't want.
Will that necessity go once on tresiba?
Can I take tresiba when ill and off my food?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I think @mahola is on tresiba. Not sure which bolus though...

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does your doctor want you taking Tresiba at meals, and if so did they explain why?

Tresiba is a basal insulin, and it's going to behave completely different from the mixed insulin you're used to. It's also not meant to be taken with meals...at least for those of us with type 1. The vast majority of us take it once a day, and with little-to-no variation in the dosage amount. To put that into perspective, I take 10u of Tresiba in the evenings whether I eat 1500 calories or 5000. It is my Novorapid (called Novolog here in the USA) that would change in dose depending on what I ate.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anyone who is type 2 and on Tresiba (except for you) so it's possible that it may behave differently than it does for us with T1D, but I have doubts with that.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Does your doctor want you taking Tresiba at meals, and if so did they explain why?

Tresiba is a basal insulin, and it's going to behave completely different from the mixed insulin you're used to. It's also not meant to be taken with meals...at least for those of us with type 1. The vast majority of us take it once a day, and with little-to-no variation in the dosage amount. To put that into perspective, I take 10u of Tresiba in the evenings whether I eat 1500 calories or 5000. It is my Novorapid (called Novolog here in the USA) that would change in dose depending on what I ate.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anyone who is type 2 and on Tresiba (except for you) so it's possible that it may behave differently than it does for us with T1D, but I have doubts with that.
I am going to be taking it once a day with novarapid for meals.. consultant said I won't need novarapid if no meal so could be taking less insulin than mixed.
I too don't like breakfast but feel forced to eat to stop bgs increasing.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I find Tresiba keeps me steady whether I eat or not. And I very, very rarely have breakfast anyway. My appetite hasn't changed since using it. Not been ill since using Tresiba so can't comment on that part of your post x
How long have you been taking it? @mahola .

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I know next to nothing on this one, @ickihun, but I hope it starts to help effectively and that things are easier to control very soon. :)

Reactions: ickihun

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @ickihun , no experience with Tresiba so no advice to offer, but I just wanted to say hi and send a hug. Great news re your sugars! Hope the Tresiba will be beneficial - do keep us posted.

:)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Since the beginning of December.
Apparently not getting tresiba 200 now. I'm getting Toujeo 300. But dn on holiday next week so not til after that.
I'm happy to continue my humulin m3 for now since sugars are good at mo.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @ickihun , no experience with Tresiba so no advice to offer, but I just wanted to say hi and send a hug. Great news re your sugars! Hope the Tresiba will be beneficial - do keep us posted.

What basal are you on @Snapsy ? Toujeo?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What basal are you on @Snapsy ? Toujeo?
Not on basal at all, @ickihun - these days I'm a pumper on only Novorapid for both basal and bolus. The only basal I have any recent experience of (until October 2015) is Lantus, which was only okay once I started to split my doses as it didn't last me 24 hours.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@ickihun, you're moving onto the well known MDI model, which means that you don't need to eat to feed the insulin, only to use the novorapid insulin when you choose to eat. You will still take the Toujeo/Tresiba to act as a background insulin.

This means that if you don't want breakfast, you don't have to take any breakfast insulin.

deebie_newbie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people.
people not willing to change.
Why are you changing from humulin m3, if you don't mind me asking? X