Dosages and timings of Metformin

mcdougall86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been diagnosed with steroid induced diabetes and have been taking 500mg of metformin twice a day since I have been on the Prednisolone. Is this quite a low dose? Or is this fairly standard? It has had a good effect on my blood sugars which have dropped dramatically however I am still having a problem with higher blood sugars in the morning (around 7). Should I take my evening metformin at bedtime instead of dinner time to try to counteract this?

Thanks in advance!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
that's a fairly standard dose, it's common for the morning fasting readings to be higher and the last to revert to normal levels when controlling diabetes with tablets or by diet alone.

I believe timing of metformin is not an issue, it doesn't work straight away anyway and is more cumulative over time. And don't they advise to take it with eating? (believe that's to help reduce it's side affects?)

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It does still tail off so for a constant effect maybe take as close to 12 hours apart as possible.

The maximum recommended daily dose is 2g so you are on half of that.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
that's a fairly standard dose, it's common for the morning fasting readings to be higher and the last to revert to normal levels when controlling diabetes with tablets or by diet alone.

I believe timing of metformin is not an issue, it doesn't work straight away anyway and is more cumulative over time. And don't they advise to take it with eating? (believe that's to help reduce it's side affects?)
I believe 500mg is a starter dose, and that this may be incremented over time up to 2,000 mg (2 gram) a day provided you can tolerate it. That is what I am on.

I found that taking my Met half an hour before my meal did improve the bgl, since it needs a short time to dissolve before the food hits. It works on the food,absorption, so works best if it is ready waiting, The slow release version does not benefit from this since it takes a lot longer to dissolve.