Driving advice

dj65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok folks I was diagnosed on the 18th July, HbA1c = 117 mmol/mol =12.9% & BG tested at the Doctors to check 25 mmol and was straight away put on to 2x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 2mg Glimepride in the morning and a further 2 x Metformin at tea time.

I have been monitoring BG levels regularly have come down from 25mmol to an average of

last 5 weeks to 7.7mmol or

last 4 weeks where my levels have stabilized 6.2mmol last two has been down to 5.5.mmol

Now the problem is I do a lot of driving to clients and test regularly before I drive or at least 30min before and have be noticing that my BG is sometimes down to any thing between 4.2 and 4.8 now the advice given to me was do not drive if its less than 5 so what happens is I have to "increase" my BG up to above 5 ie fruit drink wait 30 min check if ok then drive.

Now to me this seems to be defeating the purpose of getting my BG down to an "acceptable" level.

I'm due to have another HbA1C test on Tuesday ( think they got there dates wrong as that is only 6 weeks) and a review a week later. so should I be asking what can be done ie lower the dosage or what.

The weight has been dropping off at a decent rate from 131kg (20.6 st old money) from February to 117.4kg (18.5 st ) this morning

Regards

DJ65

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suggest that you inform your doctor of the low levels and see if you can get off some of the medication. As you say, it seems wrong to be trying to control BG by adding more carbs to your diet.

Reactions: Nidge247

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Hi @dj65 In a couple of weeks I'm tootling down to Spain by car, and I'm also concerned about fatigue, early ferries, motorway food and all their combined effect on my blood sugar. I will carry snacks (and glucose for emergencies) and try to stay mid-range over the journey. I agree with you that if I drop too low, there has to be a decent "recovery period", before driving on.
Does anyone know if the rules for diabetes and driving are similar in France/Spain?

Reactions: Janr20 and dj65