Driving Instructor

SydnieO

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone here is a driving instructor and can give me some advice?
I was diagnosed type 2 just over a year ago aged 24. I have been havine issues controlling my sugars and even on medication I'm still suffering.
My GP has said there is a high chance that I'm type 1 and not type 2 but is not willing to test to find out (i am back tonight withy husband to lodge a complaint)
I would like to know if anyone knows the legal implications with this and being an instructor, I understand as a driver there are certain criteria etc for types of medication or insulin etc. But what about teaching? I am very tired all the time and struggle to focus, I feel very detached from the world.
Im not even sure who I'd need to contact to find this information out.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @SydnieO You will need to ask your doctor if the medication you are taking needs to be reported to DVLA: https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving I don't imagine it's any different for an instructor vs a typical driver but regardless it's your GP you need to speak to first.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP has said there is a high chance that I'm type 1 and not type 2 but is not willing to test to find out
Why not? That seems an odd attitude. If he doesn't know, that's what tests are for.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @SydnieO I would have thought that where medication for diabetes is concerned and those on insulin have to report this to the DVLA then the same criteria would apply if a person was instructing someone to drive as technically you are responsible in both instances if you know what I mean. Although you'd probably be better getting this checked out, but i'm sure there will be some driving instructors out there that have some type of diabetes. You could also contact the DIA as I'm sure they will have some information on this https://www.driving.org and they have a phone number on their website

As for your diagnosing your doctor sounds like a bit of a plonker to me, I'd find another if it was me. Anyway good luck with everything