Driving licence reduced from 3 years to 1 year - but why?

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently had a driving licence re-issued following a GP report, eye test and field test. Contrary to what has happened in the past, the DVLA has issued me with a 1 year licence as opposed to the 3 years I used to be issued with.

They have said I can challenge the decision through the local magistrates. The problem is I do not know the basis for which they have decided to reduce the length of my licence.

It has made me worry as it means I will now be under close observation and I also cannot see them reverting back to 3 years until the next full set of medical enquiries - I don't believe they make the enquiries every time they re-issue a licence, so I could only presume I may be on a 1 year licencfe for a long time (even they even agree to extend).

My diabetes is in far better control now then it used to be several years ago, and even though I have had to undergo laser retinopathy & vitrectomy in both eyes, my condition is stable and my HbA1c has improved. I have not had any laser treatment since 2009 when I had both vitrectomies and I have not experienced any disabling hypo's for as long as I can remember. I am also due to start training on an insulin pump soon.

My consultant has suggested the DVLA rules have tightened up a lot recently. but other than that, no clear justification.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the DVLA and what would you advise going forward?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They have said I can challenge the decision through the local magistrates. The problem is I do not know the basis for which they have decided to reduce the length of my licence.

I've had no experience of this, but you could phone them to ask for their reasons?

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi jemzor
no actual experience of this but one of the tests the optician carries out is a peripheral vision test.
If your score were reduced since the previous test that could be a possible reason.
have you asked the optician about his findings when he/she tested you ?

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. However, the optician will not comment on the test results as the review and ultimately the decision rests with the DVLA.

The peripheral vision test is the field test the optician carries out.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had my licence revoked full stop when I failed the visual fields test after 2 vitrectomies and much laser .I was given two attempts to pass it but was unable to meet the requirements and was told you either pass the sight requirements or fail them. I would ask the DVLA for the reasons for further restricting your licence or contact your consultant/gp for advice as restricting it to 1 year if it is based on sight changes doesn't make sense to me.

Reactions: 3 people

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will start with pen to paper with the DVLA.

Thanks for everyone's input.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes. However, the optician will not comment on the test results as the review and ultimately the decision rests with the DVLA.

The peripheral vision test is the field test the optician carries out.

They are not allowed to comment unfortunately, they just send the results away for the medical dept of the DVLA to decide upon.

Not sure how it works, but surely the DVLA should give you an explanation why your licence has only been issued for 1 year this time around, I've always found them helpful when speaking on the phone so give them a ring and ask why.

Reactions: 3 people

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a quick update I spoke to the DVLA and they said they are unable to discuss the decisions on the phone as only the Drivers Medical Team would know why. I have therefore put a request for information in writing and am awaiting their response.

NGBH

As a quick update I spoke to the DVLA and they said they are unable to discuss the decisions on the phone as only the Drivers Medical Team would know why. I have therefore put a request for information in writing and am awaiting their response.
This happens all the time you contact the dvla. It depends on the person at the end of the phone. They are trained to say nothing to help you. Sometimes you get a nice one who tells you to speak to your doctor. I have type 1 for 40 years, a victrectomy and laser over 20 years ago. My driving is much better than most people as I am extra careful due to loss of peripheral vision on right eye.
A word of warning. Always be nice to the DVLA. I believe I lost mine as I had gone through the complaints procedure as I could not get hold of them on a friday and it was the only email address I could find.
Long story short. Specsavers were obviously given the countrywide dvla visual field contract due to cheapness and Britain coverage, rather than professionalism and accuracy. An 18year old being left with a nervous me in a busy shop was never going to work! Firstly they lost my eyetest then after many threatening letters from the DVLA and calls from me to Specsavers, I went again to get another visual field test. I had my beloved licence revoked!
A word of warning - you do NOT need to use Specsavers and there have been loads of complaints about their practice. DONT GO! I have never been in an accident due to lack of visual field and drive all over the country. This has ruined my life. My retinopathy test showed no downward turn and my eyesight has improved. I have asked DVLA for previous VF's when they passed me and they sent me the current ones!
I had my own test done and although there was 1 spot on the 120 degree horizontal, this was on my good eye, so was therefore just a result of my nerves/bad luck on the day. This spot has not shown on any other tests. While I agree that I have and have had for 20 years a loss of pripheral vision. I have been driving safely.
I was told by one nice dvla person that I should get letters from my consultant and doctors and friends backing me up in the hope that I can ask them to reconsider bad on "exceptional circumstances", whereby I fulfill the requirement that shows I have adjusted my driving to compensate for the loss. When my doctor asked me what I wanted him to say, I was at a loss as he does not drive with me! True.
I feel as if I am hitting brick walls all the way. Its all down to the anonymous medical team - I think. My other alternative is to have my right eye removed if it alone passes the VF test. Drastic, I know, but my job depends on it and I know I am a good careful driver and always have been.

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@NGBH thank you for your honest post which I've been meaning to acknowledge for sometime now. I'm sory to hear about your situation and how bad things have gotten in attempting to resolve the situation with the DVLA.

I wrote to the DVLA requesting further details and they wrote back with results from the current tests and how these compared to tests done about 6 years ago. The difference was in the visual field results. I wrote back asking why they are not comparing the results with more current ones from 2011 and also why did they force me to wear glasses in my field test when my unaided binocular vision for both eyes meets the DVLA requirement for distance.

They recently wrote back to me saying to be fair they will arrange a Goldman test for me at Moorfields. Now I'm a lot more comfortable going to Moorfields as I'm treated there for monitoring my retinopathy and have had vitrectomy in both eyes there. I also had my routine at Moorfields last week and my vision was the same as last year and they saw no reason to believe why my field has deteriorated since my condition is controlled.

So now I have more consents to sign for them to arange this test and pursue further medical investigatios.

It took about 10 weeks for the DVLA to respond which is really quite appauling given there is a 6 month window to appeal their decision. With this said there is an ongoing dialogue so we will have to wait and see what happens next.