Driving licence

vespa

Hi my first time asking this question.

Being type 1 I believe I have to inform DVLA, what are the process ? I have downloaded the forms, filling it in was easy enough, but I am unsure as to the process, can I still drive in the interim or do I have to wait for their decision ?, do I keep hold of my old licence until the send me a new one or do I send my driving licence back with the form ? how long do the process take ? this is pretty much the last piece in the jigsaw as I have done everything else including informing my insurance.

Hopefully somebody who has been through the process may explain it to me a bit more,

Thanks

P.S.
As I drive 7.5t lorries, I probably will lose my C1 entitlement until I apply for it back and provide 3 months reading, that's as much as I understand it, again not familiar with the process, one battle at at a time.

johnipswich

Once you have filled in the form send to DVLA. Retain your existing licence. You are ok to drive cars unless told otherwise.

You must stop driving vehicles over 3.5t for now. DVLA Will write to you and issue a restricted car licence usually 3 yr but can be 1or 2 yr. you will now need o test using a blood glucose tester with a memory tat can not be deleted (I use Ibgstar and a bgstar in my van, both connect to phone to log and collate data). In 3 months time Davila will write to your doctor, you will attend for an appointment and the doctor will check / download your 3 month data and providing you have ad no serious hypos or assisted hypos the doc will return the form and DVLA will issue you a licence for any category's over 3,5t. But you must not drive over 3.5t until you get the licence in hand. DVLA will pay the doctor or filling in the medical forms and it is free to renew your restricted licences.

By law you ave to test bg before driving and if driving for more tan 4hrs test every 4hrs. You must also have fast acting carbs such as glucose tabs within easy reach not in glove box. If you have a hypo, remove keys from ignition & place in glove box, sit in passenger seat and treat hypo. Don't drive for at least 30mins and retest before driving to prove hypo is over.

I heard ack from DVLA within 3 weeks and now just have to collect 3 months of data for Hgv licence back.

I hope this helps

John

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

If you are unsure on any points give DVLA a call. I have found them most helpful so far.

Also make sure the meter you are using is compatible with your Consultant's software. My Clinic gave me a new meter when I went onto insulin in August (Accucheck mobile) as that is the one they can download from for the 90 days records.

I have just had my form filled in (Tuesday) and it has been returned to DVLA so it's just wait and see now if and when I get my coach and lorry categories re-instated so I can get back to work.

Regards
Angie

edan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
johnipswich said:
By law you ave to test bg before driving and if driving for more tan 4hrs test every 4hrs. You must also have fast acting carbs such as glucose tabs within easy reach not in glove box. If you have a hypo, remove keys from ignition & place in glove box, sit in passenger seat and treat hypo. Don't drive for at least 30mins and retest before driving to prove hypo is over.

The law actually says if driving more than 2hrs test at least every 2hrs, and bg must be 5.0+ to drive. If bg drops under 4 you must stop, treat the hypo, test, then wait a further 45minutes before driving again, testing first to make sure bg is now 5.0 or above.

vespa

Thanks for all the info, have sent off the DVLA form, also got discharge letter back from Hospital confirming Type 1, quite a late starter at 45. on Novomix 30 I think my pancreas is on a "Honeymoon period" period at the moment.

vespa

Got my letter back from DVLA, its as much as I expected 3 year driving licence, loss of C1 entitlement, to get it back I understand I would have to wait 3 months before going to the Doctors with a D4 form, which I have to pay for I am not sure how much that will be, its another hoop I have to go over, if I can keep my current salary without the need to drive I could live with that, will have to see....

If I do get my C1 entitlement back, will this last one year or for the lifetime of the licence 3 years or until 70 years old ? will this be subject to an annual medical ? I believe my workplace has a medical examination system in place for any one over 45 will this be the same as a GP medical and satisfies the medical requirement of DVLA ?

Thanks for all your previous advice they have been very useful, without this site I would have been lost.....

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Vespa,
DVLA wrote to me a fortnight ago saying I had got my Coach and Lorry entitlements back to be renewed on an annual basis so at least I have got back to work now.
The form my Consultant filled in was just 2 sides of A4 and not a full medical form like the one when you initially apply or have a regular renewal medical and DVLA said they would pay for it if the Consultant sent an invoice in with it (my Consultant never said anything about that just filled it in and gave it back to me). It basically just asked about hypo episodes and recognising the warnings signs. My meter was downloaded and the figures checked as they ask if you have had any readings under 3.0.
HTH
Angie

vespa

Hi Angie,

Thanks for your reply it is very helpful, so when you initially apply to get you rC and D entitlement back i would have to fill in a D4 form is that what you did or a different form ? and is there a different one for renewals ?

Thanks

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sharonsin said:
DOES THIS APPLY TO ONLY T1 DIABETICS OR T2 AS WELL-PTHE MORE I READ THE MORE CONFUSED I GET..
Can apply to type 2 if your on insulin.

I'm type 2 and just about to start insulin so I need to inform DVLA using a DIAB1 form. You have to test before driving and then again after every two hours of driving. This is to ensure you don't have a hypo whilst driving.
The DVLA will contact your doctor regularily to find out how many hypos you've had and if too many the DVLA may revoke your licence. Your doctor will get the data by downloading it from your testing machines memory.

This is what I've learnt so far. Will find out more after I send the form.

Hope this helps

Jim

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
vespa said:
Hi Angie,

Thanks for your reply it is very helpful, so when you initially apply to get you rC and D entitlement back i would have to fill in a D4 form is that what you did or a different form ? and is there a different one for renewals ?

Thanks

Hi,
I can't remember what number the form was. Is the D4 the one you have to get your Doctor to fill in when you renew at 5 years, if so it's not that one as it is quite a few pages long. The one I had was just 2 sides of A4.
When I was put on insulin I rang DVLA straight away and they told me I could still drive my car unless my Doctor had told me different but I could not drive Group 2 vehicles (coaches and lorries). They sent me a form to fill in to declare the insulin dependent diabetes and the form for the Consultant to fill in. The letter asked that I informed them of the Consultant's name and the date of the upcoming appointment for the check of the 3 months worth of readings. This had a reply deadline and I couldn't get a date in time so they let me have a little longer while I found out my appointment date, this was then re-scheduled and moved on a month so I emailed DVLA and told them and they said it was okay my application wouldn't be affected. When I finally submitted the completed form they sent my reinstatement letter within a fortnight.
The best thing to do is ring them, they are very helpful and will explain everything to you so you get it all right as anything wrong and you run the risk of having your licence revoked.
HTH
Angie

vespa

I couldn't find an email address to send to DVLA, do you have one to hand by any chance, I am Deaf so I can't hear the phone and I don't like to rely on my parents to do the calls for me, nice as they are I hate to impose on them.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
vespa said:
I couldn't find an email address to send to DVLA, do you have one to hand by any chance, I am Deaf so I can't hear the phone and I don't like to rely on my parents to do the calls for me, nice as they are I hate to impose on them.

Hi Vespa,
I have just tried to find all the information on the DVLA website that I read up on before and they have re-vamped it all and in keeping with the tradition that gov.uk websites seem to follow, it is rubbish! All you seem to do is go round in circles on their websites when you are looking for anything.
Anyway I found the leaflet I was given outlining the procedure (the first stage only applies if you are applying for a licence from scratch) see here..
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consu...n/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_179198.pdf

There is an email address on there [email protected] I can't remember if that was the one I used but it is obviously relevant to this issue so worth a go, they will get it to the right department if not.

More information here.. https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving

But wait!! .....Just found a Contact Us page which has an email option for notifying them of medical conditions so that would probably be your best bet....
https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla/cegemail/directgov/en/index.html

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything more.
Regards
Angie

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
I had this experience when my old tatty paper driving licence expired. All that happens is that the next licence you receive may be for only three years, at least that's what happened to me. If you want to know the progress then there's a telephone number on the site. You can continue driving in the meantime, again that's what I was told. Hope this helps.

rquinn5

Send forms in but keep hold of licences until they reply to you if unsure phone the DVLA medical section and they will help you
As a type 2 and class 1 holder (old school) I would say there is a strong possibility you will loose your 7.5t entitlement :-( I know as class 1 holder I would loose mine if was type 1
Also inform your insurance and employer (insurance purpose)
Best of luck

vespa

Got my new driving licence, my C and D entitlement have disappeared along with my old life, going take some getting used to, haven't finished my Diabetes education course yet, I got another four weeks to complete, in particular the diet side of it which I haven't fully covered yet, my BG do go up and down a bit, trying to keep it within a band and understanding the science behind it, so in addition to this forum I have the support of my Diabetic Nurse, to keep it all stable and get my C entitlement back, until then I am glad to be just mobile

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
scottish-jim said:
The DVLA will contact your doctor regularily to find out how many hypos you've had and if too many the DVLA may revoke your licence. Your doctor will get the data by downloading it from your testing machines memory.

Not sure about the above Jim, as far as I am aware are it is hypos requiring assistance by a third party or that will lose you your licence not a couple of "moments" that every insulin dependant diabetic suffers every now and again and successfully treats themselves.

Also the downloading of history from a meter could be a bit hit and miss too, I have in the last 3 months had to change the batteries in two different meters, both a year or so old, losing my history completely in both meters. If what you say is correct I do hope your meter doesnt run out of juice :shock: Maybe wise to back up to a computer regularly so you can at least produce a hard copy :thumbup:

I also have a ONETOUCH Verio IQ meter that has to be charged via a USB port, It was new just before xmas and I took it away with me only to find out it needed charging!! I no longer use this meter for a variety of reasons the USB charging being one of them...Just checked it again and it is dead and needs another charge, so it has lasted less than 2 months!!! Be warnrd if you use a Verio IQ!!

Good luck to all those trying to get they licences back :thumbup:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I think they only are interested in hypo's that require assistance from someone else. A low reading on it's own is OK, as long as you recognise it and act upon it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App