Driving license and type two

Garybee_2602

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all , I have just been diagnosed with type 2 and started on metformin do I need to inform the DVLA and my insurance company?? Being a newbie I'm not sure where to find all this information or who to ask, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi all , I have just been diagnosed with type 2 and started on metformin do I need to inform the DVLA and my insurance company?? Being a newbie I'm not sure where to find all this information or who to ask, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Tell your ins company but no need to tell the DVLA unless you go on insulin.

Chrisdg4kvi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I drive buses and have had no problems. I have to inform DVLA and renew my licence every 5 years. It takes a little longer to get it back but no problems. Insurance companies have a box to tick which I always tick type 2 dvla aware and again never a problem. You can drive with Type 1 and any medication but there are strict rules regarding hypos which you have to follow.

Jimmy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Im type 2 and I have just started on insulin & liraglutide and I've had to inform dvla and my insurance company. I've just received my license back and it has to be renewed in 3 year.
The diabetic nurse told me to check my blood sugar levels before driving because if you have a hypo whilst driving and you crash your insurance is void.

Jimmy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was on tablets for 8 year before this and I never had to inform dvla or my insurance company. But I would double check just to be o the safe side.