Driving with Diabetes...

iamBlair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

I was diagnosed last month and as I was told, I had to inform the DVLA. I've just got a letter today saying I have to send my current licence back and be issued with a shorter one that lasts for 3 years.

What exactly does this mean for me?
It mentions about a medical test... What is that like and what does it consist of? Do you have to pay for these tests?

Thank you everyone for being so kind and helpful. :)

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I didn't need any tests. I sent off my license and filled out the form to say I understand all the requirements. I think you have to give your gp details too. In a couple of weeks the new license came through and it has to be renewed every three years.
No issues or tests at all, unless it has changed in the last year.
Rang insurance company so they knew and they said it doesn't change anything.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Upon receiving your application and medical form the DVLA will issue you with a 1,2 or 3 year licence, I don't think a medical is required unless your applying to drive a something like a small goods vehicle.........unless of course they pick-up on something in your medical form/records.

iamBlair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Upon receiving your application and medical form the DVLA will issue you with a 1,2 or 3 year licence, I don't think a medical is required unless your applying to drive a something like a small goods vehicle.........unless of course they pick-up on something in your medical form/records.

Oh, okay! They said in the letter about a 3 year licence. They also said about 3 months before that licence expires, they'll send me renewal forms and my fitness to drive will be reviewed... So I guess that's normal.

Thank you :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Oh, okay! They said in the letter about a 3 year licence. They also said about 3 months before that licence expires, they'll send me renewal forms and my fitness to drive will be reviewed... So I guess that's normal.

Thank you :)

That's right, they write to you around 2-3 months before your current licence expires. Good luck.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
They can be picky with the form so make sure it's filled out fully and correct. You can't drive anything over 3.5 t. There are other restrictions mainly relating tho public service vehicles. Don't forget to always carry your meter with you and the Two hour test law. More info is on this website available from the front page and the DVLA ( or whatever they call themselves today) website. I myself found them very helpful but others tell a different story.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As others have said...

In short it's just a form you fill out to authorise DVLA permission to ask your GP if your fit enough to drive..
The only real concern criteria is hypo awareness control for the insulin dependant.

denbo

It's a pity they don't deal 2/3 mths. Before ya licence expires when j av to renew yr hgv they seem to send renewal a out a mth before as the procedure is a lot longer to renew the hurdles u av to go through

silverbirch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have downloaded and completed the DIAB1 form. Do I enclose my driving licence when I return the form to DVLA, or wait for them to request it.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Wait for them to request it. I filled out the form and then got the reply that I could still drive (with restrictions) and I then had to send the driving licence to them for the modifications to be made.

silverbirch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @June_C, I couldn't find that information anywhere on the form. Hopefully I will be as fortunate as you and completing the form is just a formality.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I was terrified at sending the form off in case my licence was revoked. I seemed to have ticked all the right boxes and the DVLA were obviously happy with their medical enquiries, so 10 days ago the much awaited letter arrived. Phew........