Driving

smigger62

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not having food and beer
Been type 2 for a long time now..DR suggesting I go on insulin .how will this effect my driving license .I can't exist without a car..thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been type 2 for a long time now..DR suggesting I go on insulin .how will this effect my driving license .I can't exist without a car..thanks

You'll have to let the DVLA know and fill in some medical forms.

All being well, you'll be given a licence for a shorter period of time (eg three years) and that licence will have to be renewed (for free) by filling in the medical,forms again.

That's a brief explanation :)

You will also have to,follow the rules around blood tests and driving to make sure you're safe to drive.

40djbrooks

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are on insulin then you need to inform the DVLA, download the medical form from their website under medical conditions and send it to them, they will contact your GP.

As mentioned here, they will restrict your licence for 3 years probably.

RevChrisJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Driving should not be a problem if your Dr agrees you can drive. You do need to follow the instructions issued by DVLA. I

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing springs to mind :)
Hi. I think the guidelines are:

Inform the DVLA. You can read about the things you need to do and download a PDF form you need to fill in (DIAB1) and send to the DVLA here: https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving Or if in Northern Ireland, here : https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/information-and-services/driver-licensing/medical-conditions-and-driving

Make sure you test your levels no more than 1 hour before driving
Do not drive if your level is 4.5 or lower
Test at regular intervals. Obviously not while your driving :)
And if at any time you feel unwell pull over and stop.

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It is also advisable to inform your Insurance company. I do not think it affects your premium in anyway.

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello again.

I filled out the form and sent it off last week. I received a letter from them today detailing what will happen now. With the letter they sent me a sheet which has the DVLA guide to insulin treated diabetes and driving. I have attached it to this post for you. If you would like to know what type of response you will get from them I can upload or send you a PDF of the whole letter I got from them. It may give you a headstart if you know what the letter will say. That is assuming that they send the same letter to everyone. Basically, like azure says above...... they will withdraw your current license and replace it with a 3 year one then review/renew it again.

I hope this helps.

DVLA Diabetic Guidelines.jpg

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Its kind of strange this.... I see your post about driving and then on the same day I get a letter from the DVLA :)

jharding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently diagnosed T1 so went onto insulin in July.

I had to notify DVLA; still able to drive (I rang and checked) after sending in form while they processed it. Had to send in license and got a three-year one a week later.
Had to notify insurance companies (Wife and mine); chat went something like:
Me: "I've just been diagnosed with a DVLA reportable condition, T1 Diabetes that will be insulin-controlled. I need to notify you."
Insurance Company: "OK. Couple of questions, has a doctor told you not to drive?"
Me: "No."
Insurance Co: "Has the DVLA told you not to drive?"
Me: "No."
Insurance Co: "OK. That's it. Updated."
Me: "Is that it?"
Insurance Co: "That's it."
Me: "No change in premiums?"
Insurance Co: "No change."
Basically, as long as the DVLA tell them I'm safe to drive, they're can't contradict.

I do find that driving lowers my blood sugars so I keep my spare monitor in the car, and there is several packets of mini jelly babies in the glove box, one of them open. I operate on a strict Jelly Baby per 15-20 minutes of driving. On longer journeys, I also stop off at a service station, get a medium latte and have that unbolused. In addition, if I am driving I always run my sugars a little bit higher before getting in the car by putting 10% less insulin through for my previous meal. It raises it from 4.5-5.5 to 5.5-6.5.

As for when I started driving post-diagnosis, I did very short journeys - to supermarket and around town - for the first week until I worked out my sugars and how I felt. My first hypo was actually when I was driving (and the only one I've had while in the car to date). I went down to 3.9. I was starting to feel funny, pulled over and tested. And then had an hour to kill looking 'round the shops until I could drive again!

And ... test before you get in a car and 2hrs into any journey. Take fast-acting carbs if you are below 5.0, don't drive if you are below 4.0. If I am hypo, I like to stay in the permitted zone for 30-45 minutes before taking control of the vehicle.

Hope this helps,

John