Drowning, not waving.

LornaO

Hi, I'm new to the forum and relatively new to the world of diabetes since my five year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 just days after her fifth birthday. I feel like it's our entire life now, nothing is untouched by this awful condition yet I get told 'there's worse things' and I can see people drifting away from us. Everything has changed, from work relations, childcare provision and our finances and it's isolating. I feel like I'm drowning yet I can manage her condition and she's doing great with it all. I can't talk openly at work about how I feel (despite being a NHS worker) and I don't want my kids seeing me upset. Is this a normal way to feel as I'm concerned I'm losing my mind with worry. Thank you.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @LornaO
I'm not T2 and I don't have kids, so I can't know how you feel .I can say that there are a lot of supportive people on this forum, including those with children of all ages managing the condition. . Of course it is normal to feel like you do. There is always someone supportive to talk to here. I am sure they will be able to give you lots of good advice and help you with any questions you have. All the best .

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi, I'm new to the forum and relatively new to the world of diabetes since my five year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 just days after her fifth birthday. I feel like it's our entire life now, nothing is untouched by this awful condition yet I get told 'there's worse things' and I can see people drifting away from us. Everything has changed, from work relations, childcare provision and our finances and it's isolating. I feel like I'm drowning yet I can manage her condition and she's doing great with it all. I can't talk openly at work about how I feel (despite being a NHS worker) and I don't want my kids seeing me upset. Is this a normal way to feel as I'm concerned I'm losing my mind with worry. Thank you.

Hi. I may be Type 2 and have no kids myself, but I thought I'd chuck in my tuppence worth. You are not drowning- you are learning how to stay afloat in rather stormy waters that are new to you. If you were not looking out for your wee daughter and only had yourself to worry about, you'd feel less overwhelmed for sure. I think it's maybe a combination of the responsibility and the adapting to the condition that have you in this state. Look at it this way, a less responsible parent would maybe not feel as swamped by it all and would be far too casual about it as a consequence. There are very few people in this world who take such pressures in their stride. You're not superhuman. I'm sure it as a whole new way of coping/living..and I'm sure your daughter will be safe because you recognise that. If people are "drifting away", let them...who needs people who are only around when its plain sailing ? If you can bring yourself to talk to someone at work or even privately do so, if not..download here where there's experience. I am also sure it can be a good thing for kids to know their parents are worried about them sometimes. I suspect you are trying to be strong to the point where it is tiring you out (hence "losing m mind"). You need to recognise that you must fit in time for you..and that talking about it to someone will help you do have the energy emotionally and mentally as well as physically to keep making sure she is ok. So talk. It will be easier to swim at a smooth pace when you are more at ease treading the water. You won't drown. Neither will she. Take care.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Lorna, and welcome to the forum.

While I don't have a child with diabetes, I do have a disabled child and I used to run my local parent carer participation forum, so I feel moved to post a response.

Regardless of what your child's diagnosis is, there is a well-documented grieving response to being told anything is "wrong" with your child. Unfortunately, this type of grief falls right in between various services - you're experiencing a profound sense of loss and yet your child is alive so you can't approach people like Cruse, but approaching other more generalised mental health and counselling services (like Womankind, for example), means you won't be seen by people with much experience of this particular kind of loss.

Firstly - and this is important - take a break and just breathe. Right now. Don't read to the end of this post, don't put it off. Close your eyes, breathe deeply and slowly. Everything is going to be okay. Though it feels like it, you're far from alone and there is plenty of support available if you know where to start looking.

The next thing to understand is that you are now - legally - a parent carer. And this is important to know because it unlocks a whole slew of statutory processes and support that you wouldn't otherwise have had access to. But, also, it's a label that is difficult - and often heartbreaking - to wear.

I won't info-dump too much on you here, but I DO want to emphasis that you need to take care of yourself as a priority. Don't put off eating because you're busy. Don't compromise on sleep or doctor's appointments or exercise. Don't cancel opportunities to meet up with friends. Do feel able to cry, be angry, get emotional (I bought a brand new, super-cheap dinner set and broke every single item in my garden while screaming profanities at the heavens. INCREDIBLY satisfying). If you are unable to function as a person, you are unable to function as a carer.

There are two main organisations I'll signpost you to for now:

1. Your local parent carer forum.
Your profile doesn't give your location, so I've can't look up which forum you'll fall under, but there's one in every single local authority area in the country. They are primarily run by parent carers of children with a huge variety of disabilities and diagnosis, and they are (mostly) all volunteers, which means they're passionate about being there and offering support - not obliged.

They will be expert in signposting you to relevant local services, they will understand service pathways, they will be able to log your experiences and concerns and find someone to answer any questions you might have about specific statutory services and processes. But they will also know what 3rd Sector (charity and voluntary) organisations are active in your area and how to contact them and will probably run some kind of parent support network, regular support group, training and well-being sessions and other stuff that will have an immediate and positive impact on you and your family.

More importantly for you in the immediate term, they will instinctively understand how you're feeling. Your friends don't - that's why they've drifted. It's too difficult for people who care about us to contemplate the reality of having a child with any kind of diagnosis: they see the impact it's having on you and they don't know what to say: empathy is a curse as well as a blessing.

To find your local forum, visit this link, find your locality and drop them a line: http://www.nnpcf.org.uk/who-we-are/find-your-local-forum/

2. Contact-a-Family
CaF is an epic and amazing charity that works to support and educate parent carers when it comes to their rights, entitlements and responsibilities. They were behind the overturning of the Bedroom Tax for overnight carers of disabled children and they regularly lobby the government on behalf of parent carers.

I would urge you to contact them and have a chat with them about things like:

- Social care and why it's useful (respite, direct payments, short breaks, sibling support, carers' assessments)
- Benefits and your entitlements (Child DLA, Carers' Allowance, Child Tax Credits)
- Finances, your employment rights as a carer, LEA childcare responsibilities
- Support in your area (Whether there's a CaF worker locally to you, if there's a Carers' Support Centre, what a "Local Offer" is)
- How to get networked with other parents in the same situation as you

A lot of this information is available from their website but, honestly, I think you're in a place where you need to talk and feel you've been heard which is so much more a positive experience than spending hours mindlessly researching webpage after webpage.

Their website is: https://www.cafamily.org.uk
Their freephone helpline is: 0808 8083555

You're going to be fine. In my experience (12 years as a parent carer, 5 years in my PC forum) I've never seen a family fail. Sometimes the journey is rocky but the best most powerful thing you can do to come to terms with the bomb that's just been dropped is to get informed and get networked.

Much love,

Sock x

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @LornaO I'm also a carer of a disabled child (not diabetes) - and I was going to post some info, but @SockFiddler beat me to it - there is some great advice there. Just wanted to add, that the comment "there are worse things" is usually made by someone who isn't dealing with a worse thing and who hasn't got a clue about day to day realities of caring. It's not a competition of worseness. It's your child who you love and you suddenly have a different life. Be kind to yourself - if you are managing her condition you are doing marvelously <3

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, Absolutely agree with what @Polgara said there! You will (and this will sound terrible) encounter people who will, bizarrely, try to compete with you. Don't engage with them - it's incredibly destructive and nobody ever wins. For example:

"My child didn't sleep last night."
"My child hasn't slept for a week."
"My child doesn't sleep and can't walk."
"My child doesn't sleep, can't walk and is doubly incontinent."
And so on.

I've never understood this behaviour but I avoid it at all costs as, very early on in my life with my son, I realised it was making me feel ****** and insignificant.

You're going to be good at this. Your daughter is going to be great. You've got this. Promise.

Sock x

Reactions: LornaO and Struma

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Of course how you feel is normal. No one else will understand unless they have a young child with diabetes - and there are lots of parents here, such as @CathP and @Skye's_mummy
But I would add that there are worse things, your child is still here and has the chance to lead a long, healthy, productive life, some children never get that chance.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

What you're feeling is completely normal. It takes time to get your head round a Type 1 diagnosis and add to that the natural worries of a parent and you can see that it will take a while to feel on a more even keel.

Congratulate yourself that you're managing her diabetes and she's doing well. Think of ways that your worries could be reduced eg a pump, a CGM?

You're not alone. There are lots of parents here. Read around this subforum and see what other parents feel.

If you really do feel like yoyr drowning under the strain of it, perhaps a chat with someone who understands might help? A GP, a DSN, a good friend, another parent (ask your DSN about local groups)?

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @LornaO,

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter, diabetes is a right pain in the bum, and turns their (and your) life upside down. My daughter was dx about 18 months ago, shortly before her 5th birthday. It was a huge shock and has changed our lives tremendously. We lost all childcare as my mum couldn't cope with injections etc, and then after a year of fighting the local authority and health board we also lost schooling as we couldn't get a school care plan that was safe for my daughter. So I gave up work and now home school all three children. I totally understand when you say it impacts all aspects of your life, nothing can be spontaneous any more and the constant nagging fear is always in the back of your mind.

That said, 18 months on diabetes is more of an annoyance than an impossibility. Dexcom G4 and nightscout have changed our lives...very much for the better! As a family we are stronger and happier than ever, and there's pretty much nothing they can't do (so long as you plan meticulously, accept you'll never sleep again and are prepared to hang around in the wings at all sporting and social events with glucose and insulin):)

Take care.xxx

Namztorb

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about how you're feeling but would like to reassure you that we all go through it. My son was diagnosed shortly after his 6th birthday, nearly 9 months ago now.

It is disheartening to hear people say "there are worse things", "at least it's treatable", etc as well as the perennial favourites of "is it because he ate too much sugar?" and "he'll probably grow out of it". Usually these comments come from people who are not parents of a type 1 child and who therefore have very little idea what they're talking about. Of course there are worse things, we all know there are worse things... but others having worse things doesn't ease or lessen your difficulty one bit.

Over time, it all becomes the new normal for the whole family. Memories of how easy things were pre type 1 will be just that, memories. We have to do things differently from other parents, but we still do it all. People will drift away - let them. Eventually you'll find out who are your "crowd" who support you and your child, and it may not be the people you thought.

I'm still learning every day, I'm no expert, but I am starting to see how life is beginning to change and things are beginning to feel less out of control. x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I can't talk openly at work about how I feel (despite being a NHS worker) and I don't want my kids seeing me upset. Is this a normal way to feel as I'm concerned I'm losing my mind with worry. Thank you.

I would say it's perfectly normal @LornaO , can't imagine how stressful it must be to have a child with type 1.

There's a charity in the UK called the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation), they offer support and advice to parents like yourself and also organise days out where children and their parents can meet and chat, here is there website if you want to take a look:

https://jdrf.org.uk/if-your-child-has-just-been-diagnosed/

Best wishes and good luck.

Reactions: LornaO

theoldfunker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Big love to you I feel for you at the moment as I have kids and I know how it feels that you should protect them but this one seems you can't control but yes you can It's a learning curve and everybody has got to be onboard
My sister has been type1 for twenty years and myself type2 diagnosed a year ago but told I may have been diabetic for much more than that.
It will be hard to control a child with diabetes and the things they eat at a friends house even now I make a silly mistake and I'm old enough to know better.
This forum has some wonderful people with so many answers to your many questions.

LornaO

Thanks to everyone for their comments and it's really lovely to find understanding and support. I've got a lot of great info to check out now. I'm being hard on myself and one thing that shines through is that I need to be kind to myself for the sake of my family. Thanks to all xx

Reactions: CathP and noblehead
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Of course how you feel is normal. No one else will understand unless they have a young child with diabetes - and there are lots of parents here, such as @CathP and @Skye's_mummy
But I would add that there are worse things, your child is still here and has the chance to lead a long, healthy, productive life, some children never get that chance.

Or a very young grandchild, it can be heartbreaking, but in time it does get better and they can lead a normal, happy, healthy and an active life.

Reactions: LornaO and Diakat