licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
i didnt feel well at all, constant thirst and peeing lots
he asked why the dr put me on metformin, i told him my HbA1c level IFCC standardised was 51mmol/molHB (26-42).
he checked by sugar levels and it was 5.7, checked pee and that was clear
i have to now go back and see the dr who prescribed the metformin and see what she says as he thinks it may be side effects
general fatigue, short of breath, thirsty, aches all over and chest hurts when i swallow
blood pressure and chest were fine

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That doesn't sound pleasant at all, and I hope things have settled down a bit. If you (and the doc) suspect Metformin, did he advise you to stop taking it for a week or so to see if matters improve? That would be my first course of action if it were me. Missing a few doses won't do you or your diabetes any harm. How long to wait until you see the other doctor?

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
That doesn't sound pleasant at all, and I hope things have settled down a bit. If you (and the doc) suspect Metformin, did he advise you to stop taking it for a week or so to see if matters improve? That would be my first course of action if it were me. Missing a few doses won't do you or your diabetes any harm. How long to wait until you see the other doctor?
hes a horrible dr, he once accused me of making things up to get medication (had bad depression and anxiety at the time)
he told me to continue taking them, i see the dr wednesday so not too long

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Those side effects are unusual for Metformin but we are all different. Met is one of those drugs that can be started and stopped normally with no problems so it's up to you whether you stop it for a while to see if the symptoms fade.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
Hi. Those side effects are unusual for Metformin but we are all different. Met is one of those drugs that can be started and stopped normally with no problems so it's up to you whether you stop it for a while to see if the symptoms fade.
Im not 100% convinced its the metformin but theres deffinatly something i cant pinpoint
i think its more thyroid than anything else

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
as a rule and past experience i dont look at side effects because i land up getting all the worst ones......its part of my anxiety
if i do feel really unwell on a medication then i do look

I understand your anxiety and how you may react, but some of the symptoms you mention are listed as side effects. It may help you decide whether to continue taking them.

Reactions: dbr10

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im not 100% convinced its the metformin but theres deffinatly something i cant pinpoint
i think its more thyroid than anything else

Do you take statins at all, licklemoose?

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
This is a list of Metformin side effects, and also on the next tab interactions with other medications

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/metformin-side-effects.html
WOW ive got quite a list
but that list is allso symptoms of poorly treated thyroud (underactive)
i cant agree or disagree with stomach pain as i have fibroids and they can cause stomach pain :(
slight cough, chest discomfort, general feeling of discomfort are all new symptoms the others ive had for a long time