Due to start pump therapy.... five days to go!

iHs

Hi

It takes a while to get the basal sorted ok so just eat some carb to deal with big drops in bg just like you would do if using a pen. It took me ages to adjust them all ok and then as soon as I had, the weather got hot or cold, my bodyweight changed and so the need to either adjust basal or just touch bolus to see which one had the best effect and go from there. It gets a bit easier as time goes on so walk and don't run until you feel confident. Just make sure you have plenty of bg teststrips and always have yr insulin pen handy to use as back up

Reactions: 2 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Best thing I ever did was go onto a pump (also on Medtronic 640G and I love it!) It has taken about six months of gentle adjustment to get my basal levels sorted and it is a little more work than injections but my levels are so good now compared to when on MDI, the extra work is all worth it! :) x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah glad you had a good night with it, you really don't notice it at all through the night I think, even if you lay on it I don't find it digs in.

What did you do about bolus for latte? Personally if I'm having a 10g ish 'snack' I don't bolus for it and seem to stay pretty steady bg wise (I've found this out over time through trial n error) but if I was having it with a meal or other snacks I would include it, however I'm heavily pregnant at the moment so I bolus for everything because my bg just won't behave itself haha

I've tried sets in my bum which I found I was very aware of, so many people use their bum and have no problems but I just couldn't seem to get away with it. Top of my thigh was ok but had to up my basal because of the absorption rate there. Top of my arm was ok, found it fairly comfortable and basal stayed the same but I didn't like it on show, obviously it's fine if I'm wearing something covering my arms but because I have the sure t sets I've got like 2 parts stuck to me n the plastic bit where my cannula is can get caught really easily so I feel very aware of it, so my stomach I just find easier I can put it anywhere there, it's out the way, absorption is good, but I know some people who only use their bum/thigh so see what works best for you :)

What infusion sets have you got? Do you feel confidant doing your set change? My first one was a nightmare cos I didn't write anything down I was certain id remember everything but I ended up phoning my friend and wetting him to talk me through everything and I realised I was missing a vital step, can't remember what it was now but I felt very silly lol

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Morning @Mrsass :D

I did blus with my latte and it seemed to keep things steady! Congratulations by the way on the pregnancy! Howfar along are you if you don't mind me asking? How exciting!

Another good night! My 3am test gave me a reading of 13 so I gave the bolus via the wizard. Woke up on 9.0 but went low again after breakfast. Hopefully DSN will change this today when I do my first set change with her. I would no way be confident enough to do it on my own yet, I am a wimp! Getting the bubbles out of the insulin when I first set it up was hard enough!:confused:

The infusion sets are 'Minimed Quickset'. Where will I get more when I run out? They haven't yet told me about that!

Going to Center Parcs this weekend, going to take it easy! Worried about pulling the thing off and not being able to reattach it!

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She'll probably drop you by about 10% as that's how they tend to work. This is the point at which it's really worth investing in a Libre as it enables you to see what's going on really clearly.

Looking at the numbers you've shown, a lot of your basal level is too high as you're not needing to touch insulin for food really!
Thank you for the advice! :) I spoke to my nurse and she suggested waiting until today when I see her to have a look at things, in case some levemir was still lurking about. Things seemed to iron out a bit yesterday during the evening. Still a little on the low side pre bed though so will see if she makes some changes later on today when I go!

Kevin1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I went to see the consultant the other day he said the insulin and test strips from my doctor via prescription as normal (once it's been updated) then everything else for the pump they would set up an account with a distributor for me so when running low I just contact them and say what I need and it gets shipped to my home address!

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

It takes a while to get the basal sorted ok so just eat some carb to deal with big drops in bg just like you would do if using a pen. It took me ages to adjust them all ok and then as soon as I had, the weather got hot or cold, my bodyweight changed and so the need to either adjust basal or just touch bolus to see which one had the best effect and go from there. It gets a bit easier as time goes on so walk and don't run until you feel confident. Just make sure you have plenty of bg teststrips and always have yr insulin pen handy to use as back up
Thank you! Funny you mention the test strips, I have already used a pack of 25 - worrying about running out now I have started my last pack of 50! Better get hold of some today!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When I went to see the consultant the other day he said the insulin and test strips from my doctor via prescription as normal (once it's been updated) then everything else for the pump they would set up an account with a distributor for me so when running low I just contact them and say what I need and it gets shipped to my home address!
Yes, that's how it works.

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perfect! :D You feeling more excited today? 4 more sleeps!

Kevin1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes very, I keep watching videos but I'm kinda freaking myself out about putting the cannula in I'm so used to injecting i feel it's going to be strange. Plus I'm more one of those people that injects slowly rather than just jabs it in but the cannulas get fired in don't they? I ordered the book you said about as well should come today! (Found a used copy on eBay)

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I did blus with my latte and it seemed to keep things steady! Congratulations by the way on the pregnancy! Howfar along are you if you don't mind me asking? How exciting!

Another good night! My 3am test gave me a reading of 13 so I gave the bolus via the wizard. Woke up on 9.0 but went low again after breakfast. Hopefully DSN will change this today when I do my first set change with her. I would no way be confident enough to do it on my own yet, I am a wimp! Getting the bubbles out of the insulin when I first set it up was hard enough!:confused:

The infusion sets are 'Minimed Quickset'. Where will I get more when I run out? They haven't yet told me about that!

Going to Center Parcs this weekend, going to take it easy! Worried about pulling the thing off and not being able to reattach it!

Thank you, I'm 34 weeks, only another 4ish weeks left depending on my growth scan she's measuring a little on the large side at the minute so may be sooner

Haha it's good you're doing the set change with your DSN! I didn't find it too bad having to do the air bubbles but when I was diagnosed it was syringes not pens and you had to draw up your insulin so although it was a longggg time ago I seemed to remember how I did it, you'll soon get the nack of it :)
Insulin & test strips order as you normally would through your doctor, cannula's and reservoirs are ordered through Medtronic, your DSN will set up your account with them and you just phone to order supplies, I always order when I open my last box of cannula's so I know I've plenty left if there is a delay, they send you 3 months worth. My DSN told me to always ask for a pack of batteries as well when I do my order to save me buying them and they put a pack in the box for you, cheap batteries do not last long in pumps!

You will be fine while away, just make sure you take spare sets with you and your old pens incase you can't manage the pump or there is a problem with it you can revert back to 'old style' management lol if you're doing a lot of activities make sure you keep close check on bgs. I've only pulled out my set a handful of times in 2 years, I sometimes put a piece of micropore tape over if I know it's somewhere I'm likely to knock it, but it's really rare for it to be pulled and actually come out, and if you do it doesn't hurt, it's like you've ripped off a plaster :) xx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!

Ahh, Quicksets aren't the best, they are quite fiddly I found. Why don't they give you the Mios? They are FAR easier to use!!! xx

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

I too am going to Centre Parcs next week! Lol! Cumbria Whinfell for 4 nights, can't WAIT to get off the Isle of Man! Lol!