DUK T2 Testing Survey

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Just done it Steve.

I notice you have been taken off medication. I'm diet only for now and scared to start taking tablets as my perception is once started you have to take them for life.

Relieved to see that ISN't the case............or are you an exception to the rule?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ardbeg said:
Just done it Steve.

I notice you have been taken off medication. I'm diet only for now and scared to start taking tablets as my perception is once started you have to take them for life.

Relieved to see that ISN't the case............or are you an exception to the rule?

No, Steve isn't the exception. I too came off all the oral Meds, Metformin and Gliclazide after years on them. You do not have to be on them for life. The reason, because I had gained control of those all important numbers. I still inject Byetta because otherwise it would have to be Insulin AND oral meds.

Due to another illness, of which treatment was massively affecting Bg levels I have had to go back on some again, on an Ad Hoc basis, with my Endo's approval. I WILL be back off them when my treatment finishes !!!

As DUK member I have already done it there BTW

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Ardbeg said:

Hi Ardberg, as Ken demonstrates, you will find that a lot of us have come off medication. My next diabetic review is due in May, I will be 12 months post diagnosis by then. My last HBA1C was in November at 5.6%, so I insisted on a test in February. My current BG's suggest I will not have suffered due to coming off meds.
The one observation I always make, is that predictions and probabilities with reference to progress or progression are massively skewed by the 80% of diabetics who for whatever reasons do not control their diabetes. For those that do, the outlook is excellent!!.

Regards Steve.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
That's very encouraging.

Thanks guys :D

C

catherinecherub

I think all type 2's need to complete this survey as it may help with providing test strips for all and not the postcode lottery we have now.

markd

I've filled it in too.

And yes, I no longer take meds routinely, only Glucobay if I have a meal with significant fast-acting carbohydrate content.

Another recent A1C of 4.7 says it is certainly possible to get off meds.

I very much agree with the comment about the results being skewed by the high proportion of diabetics who cannot (often will not try to) achieve good control.

Mark.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Mark,
I personally have never heard of a T2 with a better HBA1C than that - Well Done!!

Steve.

ditzeeblonde

Filled in... can't imagine not testing regularily.

Have been diagnosed for 18 days & after my first week was told to cut back from testing 6-8 times a day to just once!! How on earth am I meant to learn how to keep control if I'm monitoring once??

Crazy... needless to say thats the one piece of advice I've ignored & am testing before & after each meal. x

AKes

I filled in the survey, but doubt it will help. After two years getting gradually worse, I changed to the diet recommended on diabetes-diet.org.uk. The result was spectacular. After getting thr hang of it, I started with a breakfast of scrambled eggs in butter, and put cream in my coffee, and my bg was normal for the first time since diagnosis. I tested twice to make sure - 5.1 each time after two hours. That was 3 years ago. My A1c has been below 5% for a year now.

My doctor says so long as I stay as I am, I am no longer diabetic. :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
AKes said:
My doctor says so long as I stay as I am, I am no longer diabetic. :D

I would say that you are just a well controlled Type 2 Diabetic, not 'no longer Diabetic'.......

Sweet enough

Bluenosesol said:
The one observation I always make, is that predictions and probabilities with reference to progress or progression are massively skewed by the 80% of diabetics who for whatever reasons do not control their diabetes. For those that do, the outlook is excellent!!.

Regards Steve.

That quotation should be put up in every Drs surgery & Diabetic nurse room in the country!
Cheers for that :wink:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Wouldnt let me complete the survey as I use insulin :cry: