DVLA and HGV

Raybo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone. It is worrying waiting to see what course the DVLA are going to take. Because legal aid has now pretty much gone we have had no legal advice, whilst the DVLA will have a barrister behind them.

Reactions: 2 people

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Will keep our fingers crossed for you. Do you have legal cover with your home insurance? Just an option if your concerned about legal costs.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem. I have had my Group 2 licence revoked but am fighting the decision because all the criteria they assess you on relates to hypoglycaemia and I do not have low numbers as I am hyper. The only reason that put down for revoking was they said I didn't have 3 months readings which was completely untrue. I contested the decision in ~August and am still waiting. I've lost 12 months work because of this but they don't care.
well im a type1 on insulin as you say the DVLA check with our GPs well i was banned for 3 months,when i got my licence back ive been banned for all hgvs even 7.5 tons and 3.5 ton vans mini buses and even my taxi badge,,im left with my car and car and trailer classes and combine harvester. there said that now the licence is for 3 year periods only and at random will keep a check with my doctor re hypos etc

Raybo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Will keep our fingers crossed for you. Do you have legal cover with your home insurance? Just an option if your concerned about legal costs.
I do have legal cover and I've made a claim with Barclays - but still waiting for the claim handlers to decide if this is covered. Based on previous experience I think it's going to be a no.

Raybo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
well im a type1 on insulin as you say the DVLA check with our GPs well i was banned for 3 months,when i got my licence back ive been banned for all hgvs even 7.5 tons and 3.5 ton vans mini buses and even my taxi badge,,im left with my car and car and trailer classes and combine harvester. there said that now the licence is for 3 year periods only and at random will keep a check with my doctor re hypos etc
Hi Spaceman.......as long as you don't have hypo's and if you can prove that your blood sugar is controlled, give 3 months readings on a meter and answer their questions then you should be able to get your Group2 licence. I had problems because the GP's weren't prescribing test strips for the meters and I ended up losing 2 days readings, that's how they got me. They taken my C1 and D1 as well

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Hi guys,

I'm hoping to get the ball rolling in the next few weeks so that I can get my HGV done.

I'm a bit worried now though reading these posts and I know it was because you had 2 days with no readings because the chemist was out of strips but what happens come renewal time every year? Can you drive until the make up there mind provided you have given them everything they want or do you have to stop driving until the say yes or no every year?

This would cause some serious issues for someone wanting to work full time driving as no employer is going to allow that!

If you could let me know that would be great!

Craig K

Raybo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Update on my situation with DVLA

I now have in my hand a full HGV licence valid for 12 months. As soon as DVLA got a copy of the appeal from the courts I suddenly started getting phone calls from them asking if I could get down to my GP for him to fill in a medical form (again). They faxed the form direct to the GP, he filled it in and faxed it back, I scanned and e-mailed the application form the same day and, lo and behold, two days later I have a phone call from DVLA to say that my licence will be issued that day.

It has been hard work to get to this point, and luckily my OH has a law degree and has worked for 25 years in the courts and police so she knows how to put documentation together, but without that we would have struggled even more.

Kerr1992, if it is the first time that you have informed DVLA of a reportable condition and your licence has not been previously revoked you should be able to drive under S88 RTA 1988 until DVLA complete their medical investigation. I don't believe that this would apply to renewals but you should check. Three months before your licence is due for renewal you need to apply and then make sure that all your readings etc are in place for the medicals. This means that you should be able to continue driving without a break. If you are insulin dependent diabetic you have to insist that your GP prescribes enough test strips as your livelihood is at stake.

My OH found out a lot of little known information and statistics which she will make available as soon as possible

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Raybo, I've not yet started training for HGV I just wanted to find out what would happen every year as I wouldn't want to lose my licence for 3 months every year.

So what your saying is that as long as you meet there conditions you can continue to drive while they carry out their checks every year?

What do they consider to be controlled? hypos are very rare for me even minor ones as I'm very active in the gym etc and eat regularly (every 2-3 hours) as you can imagine this gives me high readings quite a lot even though I've taken adequate insulin for the food it's just because when I test I've maybe eaten 2 hours before that so insulin is still working away. I wouldn't want them to revoke it because of high blood readings on my meter.

Thanks
Craig

Raybo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You will have to fill in your first application and medical form, then see your GP for him to complete a form confirming that you have 3 months of readings, you have not had a severe hypo in 12 months (they look at anything under 4), and you know how to recognise and deal with hypos. Then you will be sent to see a DVLA consultant to go through exactly the same questions and for him to look at your meter. Be prepared to travel to see the consultant, there are only 55 covering the whole country! As long as you answer the questions correctly, supply your readings for the previous 3 months, have not had severe hypos (including night time ones) and are ok with the new eyesight regs you should be ok.

It is difficult for me to comment on hypos because I am hyperglaecemic (but still get tested under the same criteria for some reason).

As I say, to renew your licence you need to start the process 3 months before the renewal due date....that is contact DVLA and they will send you the pack, send back the application form and medical form. By the time your renewal date comes round they should have completed their investigations and your new licence should carry on from your old one without a break....but remember this is DVLA we are talking about

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
I've got 2 or 3 hypos on mine between 3 - 4 which were night time. So this will stop me?

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Kerr1992,

If you have had hypos this shouldn't stop you. It's only if you required assistance to treat these hypos and your Consultant feels you have good hypo awareness and control then you should be fine. Good luck!!

Raybo- congratulations! That is absolutely fantastic news!! It just shows how legal action kicks them into place! I'm being to wish I had done the same thing. My case is apparently being treated as a "high priority" case and I'm just waiting for them to act on the information provided by my Consultant. It's so frustrating because it can take up to two week for them to scan the information onto their system before they even look at it! Talk about the Stone Age! So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all will be back to normal soon. Well done again, pleased to hear it's gone your way.

denbo

My renewal is due this April shid ov seen my consultant dec but they r way behind with appointment I'm goin ring DVLA soon to ask them send my renewal I bet they say it's too early to send out yet

denbo

Yes well dun raybo mine took from last sept to April for em sort out and sent me paper work to give a employer to say that it wud b ok for me to drive but employers won't except it they want to c yr licence so no job

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
It's them taking there time processing it that worries me. Surely you can drive until they do there medical checks even if it goes over the year mark as it's not your fault? That pretty much stops us working full time as a driver because no company is going to let you take a month off while dvla gets back.

It's not an issue on agency but don't want to be permanent agency driver

denbo

Your right Kerr they do take their time I've rang DVLA today to send me my renewals as I've got to c my yearly consultant Nxt thurs so got to av firms for him to fill in and sign

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
What happens if you have sent it all off on time but the year expires? Do you get to carry on driving until they have done the enquires like what happens with the car? Or must you stop driving on the year mark even if you have everything away on time and it's them that are holding it up?

Sorry if I'm asking the same questions I'm just a bit confused lol

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unless you've been specifically told you cannot drive or if your doc/consultant advised against it you can still drive whilst your license is being sorted.

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Ahh ok that's what was worrying me. I was thinking it was unfair for them to stop you driving simply because they were dragging there feet. Would ruin folks lively hoods

denbo

Yes I cud drive but they sent me paper work after I ad to send my licence bk for renewal and the paper work tney sent me didn't stand with employers who you tired to get a job drivin I rang and told them this but they sed well there's nothin we can do if employers won't except it this didn't Elp my circumstances ov no job