1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

DVLA - DIAB1 Form Issues

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by Charlie.M, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Charlie.M

Charlie.M Type 1 · Newbie

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been raised but I can't find anything so thought I'd brave a new thread!

Basically the new DIAB1 Form is slightly confusing with regards to hypos, and the current guidance note is unhelpfully out of date.

I'd like to know what people think of questions 1.4 to 1.6 and whether one should admit to non severe hypos at 1.6, or whether this question is just for severe ones? I doubt there is a T1 diabetic who hasn't had 1 or 2 in 12 months so I don't see the point in the question?

Or is it just to ascertain whether one needed assistance?

Thanks in anticipation.

CM

2. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello @Charlie.M, welcome to the forum:)

The best course of action is to be honest. Every T1 diabetic has hypos and it will not cause your license to be revoked. It's a different story if your hypo awareness is impaired or you have had more than one episode of hypogylcemia that has required external assistance to get you round again.

1.4 - Have you ever had an episode of low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia)? - almost definitely yes.

1.5 - Do you get warning symptoms of low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia)? - if you do, then the answer is yes.

1.6 - How many episodes of low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia) have you had in the last 12 months? - two or more is almost definitely the answer.

Mild hypos by themselves do not make you ineligible to drive. The DVLA will be most concerned in your answer to section 1.7 "When having these episodes of low blood sugar, did you need help from another person?". It's important to be honest here also, but as I've said above - you will have issues with your licence if this has happened on more than one occasion in a 12 month period.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #2 GrantGam, Aug 17, 2017 at 7:12 PM
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  3. Charlie.M

Thanks Grant, and great answer.

That pretty much nails it and your assumptions are correct. I've had a number of hypos (haven't we all) but never required assistance and always get signs.

I thought being honest was best but you hear some DVLA horror stories so wanted to be sure.

Thanks again. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I answered those questions as @GrantGam answered and got issued with a 3 year licence earlier this year.

They are not trick question trying to catch us out, the DVLA know that people who are insulin treated will experience hypo's but need to ascertain if the person still recognises the symptoms of a hypo and whether they've needed assistance in dealing with any.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Charlie.M

Thanks noblehead, appreciated. CM.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

@Charlie.M I agree with Noblehead and Grant. The questions look a bit worrying, but taking one at a time and answering truthfully is the best way.

My DSN pointed out that they're exoecting you to have some hypos but are making sure you can recognise them, as much as anything else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook