Dvla eye test

tawsy1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cant stand people who think they know it all
Why do type 1 diabetics have a more. Stringent eye test ? If you fail the easterman test you could have your license revoked, I don't think this is fair, everyone who drives should have to have this test,yet again diabetics are being are being victims of the government, and getting treated unfairly,ive been driving for 35 years and not had any accidents ,

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the obligatory annual eye examination is an excellent facility afforded to Type 1 diabetics to detect retinal deterioration before it affects our vision. Our screening centre only conducts a very rudimentary vision test before the photographic image of the retina is captured.

It is the optician during an eyesight test that sometimes conducts the Easterman field of vision test. In my experience the Easterman Test also relies on the subjects coordination skills.

Last edited by a moderator:

tawsy1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cant stand people who think they know it all
I think the obligatory annual eye examination is an excellent facility afforded to Type 1 diabetics to detect retinal deterioration before it affects our vision. Our screening centre only conducts a very rudimentary vision test before the photographic image of the retina is captured.

It is the optician during an eyesight test that sometimes conducts the Easterman field of vision test. In my experience the Easterman Test also relies on the subjects coordination skills.
It sounds like you have not had this test yet

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Why do type 1 diabetics have a more. Stringent eye test ? If you fail the easterman test you could have your license revoked, I don't think this is fair, everyone who drives should have to have this test,yet again diabetics are being are being victims of the government, and getting treated unfairly,ive been driving for 35 years and not had any accidents ,
Anyone with notifiable eye conditions have exactly the same stringent eye test. Obviously if you are having the field test as requested by the DVLA you have retinopathy in both eyes, so it's quite right your ability to see properly is assessed for driving a killing machine.

Reactions: 5 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
must admit I am totally with CarbsRok on this one.

the roads are dangerous enough without people whose eyesight is not adequate being allowed on the roads

my license is a 3 year restricted and I have the field of vision test each time and have always passed with 100%

Reactions: 5 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you have extra care - at no cost may I add - to ensure your health doesnt effect your driving.

As your a newbie I understand this may not seem fair, that's basically life as a diabeti.c

Reactions: 4 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
I wouldn't see this test as a bit of discrimination. I think it is another advantage of having diabetes as my eyesight is really important to me and I'd want to know of any deterioration.

Reactions: 4 people

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

It sounds like you have not had this test yet

@ tawsy1 If you are talking about the Easterman Test, I have had it recently and before becoming diabetic but not as a DVLA requirement.

Samsquamch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Retinopathy in both eyes, one is worse than the other..

Is it still possible to drive if you have retinopathy?

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a field of vision done annually, not for my T2 though, but glaucoma, which has a strong history in my family....not a lot going for me eh?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have Retinopathy in both eyes, one is worse than the other..

Is it still possible to drive if you have retinopathy?
If you pass the field vision test and can read a number plate at the correct distance then yes.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Why do type 1 diabetics have a more. Stringent eye test ?

All diabetics are offered annual retinopathy not just T1's and as for the visual field test that is now given to everyone having an eye test at an opticians, my wife and I both had eye tests two weeks ago at a Tescos opticians and were both given a visual field test as part of the routine eye test, in fact my wife was told that she had missed one sector in her left eye on 2 separate tests at a 15 minute interval and it would be referred to her GP for further investigation. Whether that is an Esterman test I have no idea tbh but anyone can be banned from driving if their sight is impaired to a point where driving becomes unsafe whether diabetic or not.

Personally I am just happy that I am able to get free retinopathy screening every year so that if a bleed is found it can be acted on swiftly before potentially becoming worse.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the "Esterman" test that is now given to everyone having an eye test at an opticians,
I went to an optician last year who insisted I take the Esterman test without my glasses. Now as I've worn glasses for over 50 years this seemed a bit pointless and told them so I also refused to take the test.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I went to an optician last year who insisted I take the Esterman test without my glasses. Now as I've worn glasses for over 50 years this seemed a bit pointless and told them so I also refused to take the test.

Both my wife and I were both tested without glasses and my results were fine and as for my wife she doesnt wear correction lenses only reading glasses but I assume anyone can refuse a test as they are not a legal requirement unless of course requested by the DVLA and I assume that could only happen as a result of a report from your doctor.

You can take a visual field test on line although it is probably not as accurate as those undertaken at an optician.

Link http://www.testvision.org/ There are other on line tests just search google

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Both my wife and I were both tested without glasses and my results were fine and as for my wife she doesnt wear correction lenses only reading glasses but I assume anyone can refuse a test as they are not a legal requirement unless of course requested by the DVLA and I assume that could only happen as a result of a report from your doctor.

You can take a visual field test on line although it is probably not as accurate as those undertaken at an optician.

Link http://www.testvision.org/ There are other on line tests just search google
This quite clearly states wearing glasses if worn for driving http://eyediologyopticians.co.uk/pages/Esterman-visual-field-test.html

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually think the DVLA rules regarding eyesight are a little flimsy all in all. The only time your eyesight is put to the test is when you initially take your practical driving test. Obviously eyesight changes over the years and while many people are responsible enough to go and get regular checks I'm sure there are many who don't and therefore continue to drive with diminished eyesight. In my opinion it should be obligatory for all drivers to have an annual eye check.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-eyesight-rules

Just found this too...interesting figures...

http://www.brake.org.uk/news/1262-eyesight-aug14

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
All diabetics are offered annual retinopathy not just T1's and as for the visual field test that is now given to everyone having an eye test at an opticians, my wife and I both had eye tests two weeks ago at a Tescos opticians and were both given a visual field test as part of the routine eye test, in fact my wife was told that she had missed one sector in her left eye on 2 separate tests at a 15 minute interval and it would be referred to her GP for further investigation. Whether that is an Esterman test I have no idea tbh but anyone can be banned from driving if their sight is impaired to a point where driving becomes unsafe whether diabetic or not.

Personally I am just happy that I am able to get free retinopathy screening every year so that if a bleed is found it can be acted on swiftly before potentially becoming worse.

As far as I'm aware both are the same thing (Field Vision Test/ Esterman Test) but the Esterman Test is the term used in medical circles, my wife who's a non-diabetic and has no eye problems had a field vision test at Specsavers last time she was there for her annual eye test.

@tawsy1, I agree with what's been said on the thread, its all about keeping everyone save on the roads and that includes ourselves, although the Esterman Test does take some getting use to the first time you have the test done its pretty straight forward thereafter, I've had it done a few times although the last time I renewed my licence the DVLA didn't request the test.