DVLA HELP

Visitor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All

Good to see a forum like this, and hope to get some information... Thanks

I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 about 3 years ago, and have been taking tablets ever since. However the tablets (Now 3 of them) became in effective, high blood sugar levels all the time.

So I asked my GP if I could try insulin injections, he then sends me to a diabetic clinic, and I started injections about 10 days ago, on a low dose, and have to increase it 4 units every 3 days.

Meanwhile reading the leaflets, I read that anyone injecting insulin must inform the DVLA, so I rang them up, got a DIAB1, filled it in and sent it off. However the form asked questions about hypoglycaemia, if I new what it was and could I treat it. Well I had to go look that up before I could answer.

The problem is, DVLA want to know all about someone with low blood sugar levels, and all the questions seam irrelevant as I never have low blood sugar levels, only high

My levels were rising to 28.1 mmol/L and the lowest was around 15 for a short time, so I was given the insulin to bring down those levels, keep on increasing the insulin until my levels reach 7.0 mmol/L in the morning.

So why do I need to be involved with the DVLA and the problems with low levels? when I have high levels?

Now the DVLA has replied and said I should return my license and they will re issue one for 3 years, and I will have to apply again for it in 3 years time. I fully understand them wanting to remove the lorry and minibus, for anyone with diabetes, but since they are concerned with low blood sugar level and the problems associated with that, why does it effect me with high levels ?

Now I dont know what to do, do I have to return the license or argue with them ? Do I have to pay for a new license every 3 years, so much trouble I might as well go back to the tablets, and take more of them ?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi All

Good to see a forum like this, and hope to get some information... Thanks

I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 about 3 years ago, and have been taking tablets ever since. However the tablets (Now 3 of them) became in effective, high blood sugar levels all the time.

So I asked my GP if I could try insulin injections, he then sends me to a diabetic clinic, and I started injections about 10 days ago, on a low dose, and have to increase it 4 units every 3 days.

Meanwhile reading the leaflets, I read that anyone injecting insulin must inform the DVLA, so I rang them up, got a DIAB1, filled it in and sent it off. However the form asked questions about hypoglycaemia, if I new what it was and could I treat it. Well I had to go look that up before I could answer.

The problem is, DVLA want to know all about someone with low blood sugar levels, and all the questions seam irrelevant as I never have low blood sugar levels, only high

My levels were rising to 28.1 mmol/L and the lowest was around 15 for a short time, so I was given the insulin to bring down those levels, keep on increasing the insulin until my levels reach 7.0 mmol/L in the morning.

So why do I need to be involved with the DVLA and the problems with low levels? when I have high levels?

Now the DVLA has replied and said I should return my license and they will re issue one for 3 years, and I will have to apply again for it in 3 years time. I fully understand them wanting to remove the lorry and minibus, for anyone with diabetes, but since they are concerned with low blood sugar level and the problems associated with that, why does it effect me with high levels ?

Now I dont know what to do, do I have to return the license or argue with them ? Do I have to pay for a new license every 3 years, so much trouble I might as well go back to the tablets, and take more of them ?

You might be high now, but insulin can drop your glucose levels rapidly, and can even catch more experienced users out sometimes.
This is standard practice for insulin users, we are all in the same boat.
Are they asking for money? I didn't pay anything 2 yrs ago.

Welcome to the forums @Visitor .

Reactions: 2 people

Visitor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thank you for your reply, well I wonder what insulin that is, as Ive been taking this one for 10 days and have never seen it drop rapidly, its drops slowly over the 24 hour period and so far ive not been able to get it below 15, I continue to increase the amount every 3 days....

No they havent asked for a payment, but knowing the dvlc every other time they have

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your blood sugar might be high now, but insulin lowers blood sugar levels. If you inject more insulin than is needed then your blood sugar level will go too low - hypoglycemia - and at that point you are not safe (or legal) to drive until you get it back up to normal (it's recommended that you give it 45 minutes after returning to normal before driving).

The DVLA need to know that you'll be safe, so driving licenses for insulin users are reviewed every 1 to 3 years (usually 3). It's a tick box form with no charge attached.

I can't comment on whether you should go back to tablets or not, but I'd suggest going with what's best for your health over the nuisance of some forms every 3 years.

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This will probably get me hated - but I informed the DVLA and it was the worst thing I ever done. I hate the bureaucracy that goes with it. I personally, would not inform them if I had a second choice.
The point being about the Hypos is that when you have a Hypo you go weak and shake and sweat - which then afterwards you go into a diabetic coma and become unconscious. This has never happened to me ever.
I just think filling a licence in every 3-4 years is also a waste of time.
But this is just what I think.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like you are on a slow acting insulin, if your BG levels don't drop soon they'll have you on rapid insulin as well, and that's where the threat of hypos really come in.

lots of Type 2s control their BG levels with diet(Low Carb, High fat) and exercise and maybe tablets - have you considered or attempted this method properly?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This will probably get me hated - but I informed the DVLA and it was the worst thing I ever done. I hate the bureaucracy that goes with it. I personally, would not inform them if I had a second choice.
The point being about the Hypos is that when you have a Hypo you go weak and shake and sweat - which then afterwards you go into a diabetic coma and become unconscious. This has never happened to me ever.

You're obliged to inform them by law. If you didn't you would invalidate your insurance and be liable for a large fine.

Yes, it is a nuisance having to renew your licence, but it's for the safety of all on the road. The DVLA medical rules are there to protect road users and pedestrians. They include other people as well as those with diabetes.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thank you for your reply, well I wonder what insulin that is, as Ive been taking this one for 10 days and have never seen it drop rapidly, its drops slowly over the 24 hour period and so far ive not been able to get it below 15, I continue to increase the amount every 3 days....

No they havent asked for a payment, but knowing the dvlc every other time they have

Often your insulin dose in increased gradually so that your levels are brought down slowly, giving your body a chance to adjust.

You won't have to pay when you renew your licence. You just have to fill out the form and answer the questions. When you get the reminder, fill it out and send it off in good time as it can take a few weeks.

I'd also point out the rules for drivers on insulin about testing their blood sugar before they drive, and at regular intervals if on a long trip. You should also carry glucose tablets with you in case you do ever go low.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

If you don't inform the DVLA you are breaking the law, plus as @azure says your insurance would be invalid and could leave you open to prosecution if you were to injure.........or heaven forbid kill someone as a result of your diabetes.

In 35 years I've never needed third party assistance with a hypo so I could take the same attitude as yourself, but just because its never happened in the past doesn't mean to say it won't happen in the future, none of us know what lies around the corner @Brit90

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This will probably get me hated - but I informed the DVLA and it was the myworst thing I ever done. I hate the bureaucracy that goes with it. I personally, would not inform them if I had a second choice.
My buddy, who is T1D, has frequent hypos that I have witnessed. He does not have any of the same symptoms you describe. whenhe goes it is like alight switch. He loses the plot completely. His type of hypo is the one that is the most frightening for drivers, and is a main reason why DVLA take the precautions they do. When I hypo, I get visual disturbances, which is also a reason not to drive until recovered. The DVLA is clear that two hypo events where assistance is needed to bring about recovery is the trigger to affect the licence. The new EU rules that were expected to be introduced soon, allows nightime sleep hypos to be left out of the equation, but this will probably not go ahead now. The DVLA has to apply a one size fits all rule since it is a legal duty of care they need to meet.

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My buddy, who is T1D, has frequent hypos that I have witnessed. He does not have any of the same symptoms you describe. whenhe goes it is like alight switch. He loses the plot completely.

I myself have never had that in my life, I know when its happening and the warning my body gives me is a good 30 minutes maybe an hour. Which is why I say in my opinion it is a waste of time for me, but obviously for your friend it is needed.
Although I dont know how this makes it safer for people, since if you have 1 while driving the potential is the same.
I think more people have accidents through falling asleep at the wheel than hypoing.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I myself have never had that in my life, I know when its happening and the warning my body gives me is a good 30 minutes maybe an hour. Which is why I say in my opinion it is a waste of time for me, but obviously for your friend it is needed.
Although I dont know how this makes it safer for people, since if you have 1 while driving the potential is the same.
I think more people have accidents through falling asleep at the wheel than hypoing.

Yes, narcolepsy is a condition you must report as well.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

It's not a waste of time - it's a sensible precaution to have extra checks for people with specific medical conditions. Each time you renew your licence, you're signing it to confirm you haven't suffered with hypos in the way detailed. It's a check to ensure the safety of us all.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Or using their mobile phones, or eating a sandwich. The main point is that if you do not inform DVLA and your insurance company, then if you ever have an incident then you will NOT be covered. The prosecutors will seek your medical records and you cannot hide. Simple things like your bgl meter has a clock and memory that shows if you did test before driving, a requirement that DVLA says you should do if using insulin. It is at the moment our responsibility to report, but there are moves being discussed to make it automatic that your care provider will be legally required to register your status instead (note they already have this placed on them if they consider you to be unsafe to drive. So if the doctor tells you not to drive, then they really mean it, and have to enter it into the records.

Visitor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok, lot of good information there, shame Swansea dont give this out instead of taring everyone with the same brush. BTW my doctor was consulted about this, hes happy for me to drive, and on reflection I perhaps was very quick in filling in forms, huh this time next week I might not even be using insulin.

Ive read its costing the DVLAa lot of money to do this every 3 years, and they are seeking to change that to 5 years and 10 years, depending on the persons. THERE ARE THOSE who carry on living as normal without problems at all.

Me, ive driven for 38+ years, I wont care about not driving a mini bus or lorry :) and since its not costing anything to renew it I really dont care now, but you know, not everyone who uses insulin is a danger while driving. Like its already been said, far more idiots with mobile phones causing accidents than those taking insulin.

Like its been said, Ours not to reason why, ours but to do and die !

Thanks once more, Ill be leaving the forum now, going to Swansea the week end, born in Port Talbot :)

Reactions: 2 people