dvla revoked licence

havoc-1922

Is it me or are the clowns at dvla the most unhelpful morons on this earth ? I am an HGV owner/driver who has been type 2 diabetic for 3+ years and has unfortunatly had to go onto Insulin.The story starts 20th Jan 2013--1st insulin injection--notified dvla,24th jan 2013 filled in all the medical forms etc told by my doctor that it will take approx 3 months for me to get my licence back "but knowing dvla give it at least 4 months".Ok quietest time of the year for me lets do it. 5th feb get letter from dvla-they need to write to my Dr.After 5 weeks of nothing and a couple of phone calls to dvla to chase them up a letter arrives on 20th March telling me i have got to make an appointment to see my Dr but i have to sign the enclosed letter and return it to dvla within 3 weeks or they will take my HGV away !!! Starting to get a bit p####d now.(sugar level been in single figures,no hypos,feeling 100% better).Book to see Dr,23rd April fills in form and sends it to dvla.Dr very happy with results.
9th May--now receive a letter from dvla --need to make an appointment with an independent consultant of there choice--54 miles away from my home !!! and he only works between 5:30pm & 8:30pm thursday and friday !!!!! same as previous letter,3 weeks to reply or licence taken away.
23rd May--earliest appointment available in the middle of rush hour.thanks.Sits down in the consultants room and notices he has a copy of my Dr,s medical report that she sent to dvla back in April.Sat there while he waffled on going over the exact same questions as my Dr had answered over a month before.Then looked at my blood sugar meter mumbled that on a few days i had not taken enough readings (try telling my fingers that!) but he was more than happy with the results and as far as he was concerned i was fit to drive HGV,S again.
Now the really p###### me off bit--phoned dvla for an update today 18th June to be told that they had received the medical form from the consultant and had processed it on the 3rd June BUT due to the increased workload they should be able to give me an answer in approx 12 WEEKS.If i dont hear from them before September then give them a ring.
In these times of internet,e-mail etc it still seems DVLA are living in the 70,s.That would mean nearly 8 months off the road,its cost me a fortune in driver hire but dvla couldnt give a TOSS !!
Sorry for the rambling on but i think DVLA are pathetic--and us tax payers are paying for this appalling service.

Reactions: 4 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nope, not you plenty of members here had trouble with dvla, hope u get it back soon

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

JohnoHynes

I too have been a victim of the DVLA's lack of speed.

Back in 2009 I was sent for an Esterman visual fields test, which I failed - a bit of a shock to me as I could see no difference in my vision. It took them only a couple of weeks to write to me telling me my licence had been revoked.

I then found out that there had been some changes in the rules and I had a possibility of getting my licence back under the "exceptional cases" rules. I wrote to them at the beginning of December 2010 asking for more details. Almost three months later they replied and said they were reviewing my case and would send me for another type of fields test, one which I had previously requested but they seemed to have ignored that. I sent the forms back to them by return and waited. Three months later, at the end of May they replied and told me to make an appointment at the hospital for the test. I took that on the 21st June 2011.

At the end of July I phoned them to see if there was any progress. I was told it had been passed to the medical department but they were at that time dealing with a case from the middle of May! I called them again a month later at the end of August, the Tuesday after the bank holiday with the same question. I was told that my licence had been sent out that day - that came as a nice surprise as I'd heard nothing from them. They had written to me on the previous Friday but I hadn't received that. Two days later my licence arrived. No letter, just my licence. The letter informing me that I was getting it back arrived the following Monday.

They had my email details, they could have sent it that way, as they had done in the past with other correspondence.

Reactions: 4 people

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Diabetes UK careline MAY be able to help expedite matters.Try their website for the number.
Hana

Reactions: 3 people

denbo

Is it me or are the clowns at dvla the most unhelpful morons on this earth ? I am an HGV owner/driver who has been type 2 diabetic for 3+ years and has unfortunatly had to go onto Insulin.The story starts 20th Jan 2013--1st insulin injection--notified dvla,24th jan 2013 filled in all the medical forms etc told by my doctor that it will take approx 3 months for me to get my licence back "but knowing dvla give it at least 4 months".Ok quietest time of the year for me lets do it. 5th feb get letter from dvla-they need to write to my Dr.After 5 weeks of nothing and a couple of phone calls to dvla to chase them up a letter arrives on 20th March telling me i have got to make an appointment to see my Dr but i have to sign the enclosed letter and return it to dvla within 3 weeks or they will take my HGV away !!! Starting to get a bit p####d now.(sugar level been in single figures,no hypos,feeling 100% better).Book to see Dr,23rd April fills in form and sends it to dvla.Dr very happy with results.
9th May--now receive a letter from dvla --need to make an appointment with an independent consultant of there choice--54 miles away from my home !!! and he only works between 5:30pm & 8:30pm thursday and friday !!!!! same as previous letter,3 weeks to reply or licence taken away.
23rd May--earliest appointment available in the middle of rush hour.thanks.Sits down in the consultants room and notices he has a copy of my Dr,s medical report that she sent to dvla back in April.Sat there while he waffled on going over the exact same questions as my Dr had answered over a month before.Then looked at my blood sugar meter mumbled that on a few days i had not taken enough readings (try telling my fingers that!) but he was more than happy with the results and as far as he was concerned i was fit to drive HGV,S again.
Now the really p###### me off bit--phoned dvla for an update today 18th June to be told that they had received the medical form from the consultant and had processed it on the 3rd June BUT due to the increased workload they should be able to give me an answer in approx 12 WEEKS.If i dont hear from them before September then give them a ring.
In these times of internet,e-mail etc it still seems DVLA are living in the 70,s.That would mean nearly 8 months off the road,its cost me a fortune in driver hire but dvla couldnt give a TOSS !!
Sorry for the rambling on but i think DVLA are pathetic--and us tax payers are paying for this appalling service.
Yes yr right I've been through the same procedure as ur self I adnt enough readings as I cudnt do my bloods as I ad to go in to av a procedure done this didn't work first time so ad to go in agen so I wasn't to av my insulin this was last yr heard today I avnt got my class one due to not havin enough readings I've ad a good report from my own consultant so I'm askin my mp to intervene in this matter the dvla r a waste ov time and yeh they r livin in the 70s they need get a grip and put staff in who know wha they r doin

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Took me 10months from start to finish to get my LGV license back ! Pathetic !

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
r the dvla r a waste ov time and yeh they r livin in the 70s they need get a grip and put staff in who know wha they r doin
And Your point Is?...
They are an Agency and hence a nearly unaccountable QUANGO! There purpose is to separate government from any form of being accountability!

denbo

Very true I wrote to the government their reply in a letter was to get in touch with the transport dept at tbe dvla

denbo

When the ban was lifted it took me 10 mths it's a joke
And when u r due to renew agen it takes 3mths as tney send you to c a I dependant consultant I think they want all insulin dependants off the road to b honest it's lookin that way as my diabetes is better than last yr

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The DVLA has a new CEO. Oliver Morley was previously CEO at The National Archives. While he was at TNA he was very fair with staff and readers. Perhaps as a new broom at DVLA he will listen to our concerns about the hurdles his staff create and the delays they cause when we need to renew our driving licences.

denbo

When you have ad yr hgv licence revoked due to there not been enough readings wha happin Nxt as the dvla avnt said surely u don't av to start from scratch well I've involved my mp as this wasn't my fault as I ad to av a procedure done and couldn't take my insulin but when phoning them they are not interested they are all very incompetent there and unhelpful

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aye, frustrating. But at least you're able to keep your licence. Despite handing over near perfect BS results, I was forced to give up driving trains, a job I loved and redeployed to a job I absolutely hate with a loss of 10k a year and a reduced pension. DVLA aren't as bad as the railway.

Lordy100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many things
I've had my categories C1 and D1 put back on my licence, it took me about 8 months and they restricted my licence to a year instead of the normal 3 year, is this normal?

denbo

I've had my categories C1 and D1 put back on my licence, it took me about 8 months and they restricted my licence to a year instead of the normal 3 year, is this normal?
Yes it is I got mine back in 2012 my hgv tben ad to renew it 12 mths after this takes time agen I didn't av enough readings this time so got go see a indepandant cinsultant yet agen with 3mths readings but got fill another form in first

Lordy100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many things
Yes it is I got mine back in 2012 my hgv tben ad to renew it 12 mths after this takes time agen I didn't av enough readings this time so got go see a indepandant cinsultant yet agen with 3mths readings but got fill another form in first

I've been to see my diabetic consultant, no problem, now just waiting for independent consultant appointment. I think I know the answer to this question but will ask anyway, if your licence runs out are you still OK to drive non LGV? I suspect its no but its getting very close to the expiry on mine and I'm planning all sorts of things and also need to get to work etc etc

denbo

I've been to see my diabetic consultant, no problem, now just waiting for independent consultant appointment. I think I know the answer to this question but will ask anyway, if your licence runs out are you still OK to drive non LGV? I suspect its no but its getting very close to the expiry on mine and I'm planning all sorts of things and also need to get to work etc etc
Hi I went to see a I dependant consultant in dec asnt enough readings due to me Avin a procedure dun in oct and forgot to say to him anyway I've emailed ten chief exc at DVLA as one person tells me I'm on stage 3still then another tells ya yr bk to stage one and I told him I can't send anymore details about me that they already have I had a letter from DVLA sayin that I cud still drive but no firms wud except it

denbo

The DVLA has a new CEO. Oliver Morley was previously CEO at The National Archives. While he was at TNA he was very fair with staff and readers. Perhaps as a new broom at DVLA he will listen to our concerns about the hurdles his staff create and the delays they cause when we need to renew our driving licences.
I've ad to email him bout how the clerks r messing bout one tells ya one thing and one tells ya another thing so I'm waitin for a Reply it's pathetic a load ov morons working there they do t know their right hand from there left

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've ad to email him bout how the clerks r messing bout one tells ya one thing and one tells ya another thing so I'm waitin for a Reply it's pathetic a load ov morons working there they do t know their right hand from there left

Oliver Morley is on Twitter @omorley1 . You can view his profile and avatar but he does say that he cannot respond to personal cases. But I think it helps to see the man who is top honcho.