Early Retitement in France obtaining Medication

Hypohead_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone know if you are covered 100% for type 1 diabetes in France or if insurance is available for the 30% most people are liable for ? I plan to take early retirement & live there but I fear I may have to pay for my meds as I won't be contributing to their social system unless we buy a property with a Gite & somehow manage to enter their system by renting it out & paying taxes

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
May depend on your age.. but you are right in you won't be eligible for any healthcare without paying unless you are a tax payer in France. Also you will be expected to pay a percentage of you medical costs even if you are paying tax in France but you can get insurance to cover that. We attempted early retirement there but gave up and returned to the UK. I would also recommend being at least semi-fluent in French if you want settle there permanently as everyday life can be quite hard without it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
And Brexit will affect all aspects of life outside of U.K.

bluecurlylegend

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Films with Nicholas Cage !
We settled in France about 10 years ago and applied for our Carte Vitales. It was actually pretty easy. You have to supply a pile of documents like birth certificate, marriage certificate and that kind of stuff. But if you ask the Ministry of Pensions (I think ?) in the UK, they will send you a document that shows that you have paid sufficient into the UK health system and your benefits can be transferred to the French system. And this is a completely separate agreement that many European counties (that are not in the EEC) and the UK have entered into. Also we got our cards before we were plugged into the French Impots. Not much different, meet the new boss, same as the old boss ! Your Carte Vitale gets you a significant reduction on doctors bills and prescriptions but you still have to find another 15% to 20% but this is usually funded by a separate Mutual that you can take out...you can get it from your Bank. Check out Carte Vitale on Google, and brush up on your French.....if you at least make an effort most people, especially younger ones, will come back to you in English. Well, that's been our experience anyway.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The situation has changed in recent years.
For a period 2007-15 the French made all early retirees have private healthcare insurance until they were granted permanent citizen status after 5 years. Then they were allowed to join the system by paying an annual percentage of income .
The EU found this illegal and put pressure on the French. It's almost back to the previous system ie that you can pay contributions to belong to the system as long as you are legally resident. (this used to be about 8%) .
https://www.french-property.com/gui...s/health/getting-health-cover/early-retirees/ (read it very carefully as the situation is a bit ambiguous, it was the most recent I could find but it's worth searching for as much recent info as you can find)
When in the system you have to go through a lot of paper work every year to prove you are still eligible. It is very important to fill in French tax return, even if you are not liable for tax in France. The form showing how much tax you are liable for (if any) is what demonstrates that you are living legally in France and is also what they use to calculate your contributions for health care.

Once in the system, your doctor should apply for you to be covered at 100% for your Type 1. This also covers things such as retinopathy checks and other conditions related to diabetes. You will still have to pay around 30% for any non diabetic related conditions and if hospitalised a board and lodging contribution. In big towns and cities some doctors and consultants also charge far more than the state system reimburses(not so in the sticks where I live) Most people pay for a top-up insurance to cover the extra costs ( although some people don't buy it, I wouldn't risk being without)

When you become eligible for a British State pension it becomes so much easier . After filling in the correct forms from the DWP they give you another form to take to the local CPAM and you no longer have to pay contributions and no more renewing every year. From then on Britain pays the cost of your healthcare although not 100%; you only get what the French will get so still need a 'top-up' insurance.

We do not know what Brexit will mean. I probably won't still be there but I am hoping that those that have permanent residence will be OK .However, I know from past experience that the French don't always play by the rules (see above). We spent a very uncomfortable year back in 2006 when it seemed that they were going to throw out those of us already in the system (and paying contributions). There was a concerted campaign and probably more importantly the intervention of various MPs and MEPs and a very last minute change of mind (though not for newcomers)

Last edited: