Easy Low carb Cake Recipes

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone have an easy low carb cake recipe that my 7 year old could make me for Mothers Day please?

My Daughter got upset last night as she desperately wants to bake me a cake all by herself, but knows I can't eat them.

I've tried a couple of low carb recipes but they haven't turned out well and I know she would be devastated if the cake didn't work out as she planned (I would be chuffed with it regardless of course, just because she had made it)

If anyone has any "so easy a child could do it" type recipes, it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Someone like Brunneria with all the links to I breathe I am hungry will be along in a moment. I posted a request for dessert ideas on here last week and made the Jaimie Oliver chocolate pots. It is very easy if you help her with the food processor and melt chocolate. I got the tofu from the Korean shops. They are country wide. Our local is Seoul Plaza but I understand Sainsburys put their tofu with baked beans and tesco sell it. I used 2 100g bars of chocolate. The mix must have made a pint so she can pour it into a disposable foil and decorate it with cream and almonds. Sweeten to taste. I omitted that and the alcohol. The children will need to make theirs a bit sweeter.

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How low carb do you want? I tried a banana loaf cake made with coconut flour and coconut oil-the whole thing baked was about 800g. Figured a 50g slice was 7g carb. Super easy.
Oven@180degrees C.
4oz coconut flour, 1heaped teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 2-4oz walnuts. Mix together. Add 4 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla essence, and 2.5oz melted coconut oil. Whisk. Mash up 4 ripe bananas and add. Stir in or whisk (You can add 2oz honey or maple syrup but banana might be sweet enough).
Put in a lined loaf tin and bake 55mins(ish).
It kept over a week and the last slice was still moist. It looks a bit of a dry mixture but baked well.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Someone like Brunneria with all the links to I breathe I am hungry will be along in a moment. I posted a request for dessert ideas on here last week and made the Jaimie Oliver chocolate pots. It is very easy if you help her with the food processor and melt chocolate. I got the tofu from the Korean shops. They are country wide. Our local is Seoul Plaza but I understand Sainsburys put their tofu with baked beans and tesco sell it. I used 2 100g bars of chocolate. The mix must have made a pint so she can pour it into a disposable foil and decorate it with cream and almonds. Sweeten to taste. I omitted that and the alcohol. The children will need to make theirs a bit sweeter.
i used powdered chilli, very very little, http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...&amp=&utm_medium=RecipeOftheDay&utm_term=2015 omitted the syrup and alcohol. I am doing it in a silicon cake form for Tuesday so if you want I can let you have a report before she makes it Saturday

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
How low carb do you want? I tried a banana loaf cake made with coconut flour and coconut oil-the whole thing baked was about 800g. Figured a 50g slice was 7g carb. Super easy.
Oven@180degrees C.
4oz coconut flour, 1heaped teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 2-4oz walnuts. Mix together. Add 4 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla essence, and 2.5oz melted coconut oil. Whisk. Mash up 4 ripe bananas and add. Stir in or whisk (You can add 2oz honey or maple syrup but banana might be sweet enough).
Put in a lined loaf tin and bake 55mins(ish).
It kept over a week and the last slice was still moist. It looks a bit of a dry mixture but baked well.

I love banana loaf (or I did before having to reduce carbs!) and this does sound easy. I don't do really low carb as I can tolerate a certain amount quite well. We might have to try this thank you.

Do you know if you could replace the honey/maple syrup for Splenda or similar?

Sorry if that's a silly question, but I was never much of a baker even before low carb

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love banana loaf (or I did before having to reduce carbs!) and this does sound easy. I don't do really low carb as I can tolerate a certain amount quite well. We might have to try this thank you.

Do you know if you could replace the honey/maple syrup for Splenda or similar?

Sorry if that's a silly question, but I was never much of a baker even before low carb
I used agave syrup instead of honey as you need less. I think the liquidness of them is helpful as the coconut flour soaks up liquid very easily but I'm sure splenda would work as well, especially as the recipe said you could leave out sweetner if you thought the bananas were sweet enough. And all bananas are different sizes. It goes a bit dark during cooking but it didn't put me off!

Reactions: Kaz261

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I think low carb cakes are much easier to bake than flour ones.
Usually they are just a matter of combining the ingredients, stirring, and putting in the cake pan to bake.

Have a look through here, and you will see what I mean.
https://www.brit.co/low-carb-cakes/
http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2016/01/the-best-low-carb-chocolate-cake-recipes.html

I like pretty much like all of those, thanks. One in particular I like has potato starch in it. I would have thought this to be quite high GI and high carb (although it only requires 2 tbsp)? I've never seen this in any supermarket, but was wondering if a simple substitute for almond flour or coconut flour might do the job equally well!?

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Sounds yummy! I would love to know how it turns out thank you.
Sorry for delay. The first time I made this I put it in cocktail glasses and served it as a mousse. it had a firm texture that would hold together as long as eaten with cake fork or spoon. When I made it for Tuesday it was with soft silken tofu and it was more like a mousse so it did not lift out of foil. I ended up serving it with raspberries and cream on top like an impromptu trifle. Still yummy but it just proves I can never get it right. Sigh. I am still waiting to see what sort of tofu will arrive for Sunday catering but having just weighed myself I think all plans for anything yummy have to be put on hold that includes my birthday next week. Sad face. Have a wonderful mums day.