Eat late, high in morning

julian27ish

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I'm really struggling with something. I experience dawn phenomenon but my insulin pump covers that. If I eat about 4 hours before bed I'm fine in the morning. However if I eat a couple of hours before bed, I am really high in the morning (16 - 20 usually). This isn't due to a lack of insulin as I carefully carb count and know my insulin:carb ratios well.

Eating earlier unfortunately isn't an option anymore as I get home from work so late.

Is there a reason my sugars are so high in the mornings if I eat close to my bedtime? Does anyone else experience this? It actually feels like this is killing me.

Thank you!

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried a split bolus when you eat late? I know it's usually for high fat foods but it could work.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What type of foods are you eating?

I find if I eat high carb foods at night I have to extend my bolus over a few hours otherwise I wake up with the same levels as you.
May be worth trying to eat a low carb dinner for a few days to see if it makes a difference.

I eat late due to work too 10pm usually. It’s a nightmare!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
It happens to me too :( Particularly if the meal is high fat.

I haven't worked out a formula except to try and avoid it or eat a low carb meal, however agree with @Levy about splitting your basal, however cannot advise over what time frame, it would be a bit of trial and error.

Reactions: Levy

julian27ish

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad I'm not the only one! Thank you very much for your responses.
It seems to happen with a whole range of meals, including low fat and moderate carb meals. I am just going to have to work out how to split my bolus/ increase my basal to cover it I suppose.
Thanks again!

Reactions: claire1991

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I'm really struggling with something. I experience dawn phenomenon but my insulin pump covers that. If I eat about 4 hours before bed I'm fine in the morning. However if I eat a couple of hours before bed, I am really high in the morning (16 - 20 usually). This isn't due to a lack of insulin as I carefully carb count and know my insulin:carb ratios well.

Eating earlier unfortunately isn't an option anymore as I get home from work so late.

Is there a reason my sugars are so high in the mornings if I eat close to my bedtime? Does anyone else experience this? It actually feels like this is killing me.

Thank you!
Just give more insulin some units for the carbs and some more units to stop the high happening - or correction. That can help.