Eat to your meter and Controlled Carb Regimes

TypeIIDieter

I should just comment that so far my experience is that I have two different digestive systems, which seem unrelated to each other. If I eat a full pound of hamburger, plus most of a package of cheese, or a full pound (minus shells) of pistachio nuts, my blood glucose doesn't even GO up. It stays right where it is, or sometimes, even goes down! (The hamburger example went from 105 to 80 at 45 minutes afterward) The catch is that all this food sits in my stomach and eventually digests at between 6-9 a.m. the next morning. I often get woken up by the pounding heartbeat and feeling of satiety bordering on nausea which I attribute to the side effects of my body's own insulin, and my innards make frequent noises, like a bowling alley or something. And my readings during this time go up to the 120s if I'm not gaining or losing weight, as much as the 150s if I've been bad and ate 4500 calories or something.

BUT, if I eat 2 slices (130 calories) of "wheat bread" (I.E. white bread with a little color) I go up to the 120s. Just 320 calories of "light yoghurt" (I.E. corn syrup) I go up to 176. 600 calories of chocolate bring me to the low 180s. And a meal that included four slices of bread, or eating about 8-10 at one time, bring me to 230. They get digested right away and they hit hard.

I've been avoiding these carbs long before diagnosis because I felt like they made me hungrier. With the meter I see why. After the high has subsided (which can be hurried with a little exercise) my glucose can drop as low as 56 (more usually 70s-80s) and stays in the 90s for the rest of the day (usually 100s). This decrease makes me feel hungrier. Since this doesn't show up on the fasting blood glucose I don't know how long I was having these 230 episodes before ever getting diagnosed!

For context, the period I'm talking about is after losing about 60 pounds and going from A1c 7.5 to 5.7, fasting glucose from 130s (non-morning) to 100s (non-morning or mornings when losing weight). So I see these 230-episodes as the most definite sign that I have the disease, though those morning 130s-150s that can happen are also sobering reminders.

I'm still not sure EXACTLY what damages the pancreas, but it is important to figure it out. How much damage does it take from a long fasting 130 *versus* two hours over 200?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
TypeIIDieter said:
I should just comment that so far my experience is that I have two different digestive systems, which seem unrelated to each other. If I eat a full pound of hamburger, plus most of a package of cheese, or a full pound (minus shells) of pistachio nuts, my blood glucose doesn't even GO up. It stays right where it is, or sometimes, even goes down.

Not sure how many carbs are in the nuts, but isn't this just a low GI meal combined with lots of slow digesting fat? What would you expect to happen? I don't eat nuts, but as long as the burgers were high meat content I'd expect a pretty spike free experience after eating something like this...