Eating as form of coping with grief

AlECat12

Type of diabetes
LADA
So hey, been diagnosed diabetic coming up 6 yrs now. Usual symptoms of frequent visits to toilet and drinking lots. Got sugars tested and very high so diagnosed with t2. This they said was unusual due to my age. Also was heriditry and caused by weight, so was never goin to escape it.

Had to spend couple nights in hospital and when got out was like new person, completely changed lifestyle with improved eating and exercising more throughout the week. Within a year lost 7 stone and was feeling better and been taken off tablets for it due to bs's of round 4. This was round final yr of high school and leaving for uni. Was goin to study food technology which is funny thinking bout it, a diabetic learning about food which most of it wasnt even eating due to strict diet.

First two yrs were great and even managed losing 2 more stone. Then in 3rd yr in a matter of half a yr lost both paternal grandparents. This is when things changed, at xmas the usual treats are shared and thought wud try sum and ended eating more than shud of. This built up over time until basically binging and was later thought to be partly caused by coping with grief. So this ended up causing to put weight on again and stopped exercising.

So start of final yr was arriving and was feeling very low but fortunately as a result of bad situation changed mind set to start being healthy again. This was gud until couple months later, was losing motivation and not wanting to go to class and being late on assisgments which wasnt like me, this caused me to do things that were stupid and harmful. At this stage started seeing someone about coping and realised that was yr since passing of first grandparent, so wat was doin was reaction to subconscious grief. This went on til january and exams and basically had light bulb moment and decided to rethink wat was doin and so mindset changed again.

Was still eating more than before but not as bad as the previous yr. So now found myself losing weight but didnt understand why. Did research and thought thyroid related. Didnt mention for while as since in final yr didnt want to get out for appointmwnts and miss doin research and dissertation. When all finished informed doctor and diagnosed with thyroid problem. Was now back on medication for the diabetes as bs's recently got high, they were normal for long time despite the high eating. So this then leads to diabetes nurse diagnosing that instead of being t2 am now LADA (t1.5) so now on insulin but coping ok with it.

Have put this up to just share thoughts as can to friends bout it but since this is for people with same condition thought wud have better understanding.

Hope whoever reads this all, well done for getting past it all, if suffered from similar circumstances knows that things do get in our way but we come out better afterwards.

Thanks

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @AIECat and welcome to the forum. Grief can affect us greatly. I was drinking quite heavily after my brother took his own life.It does take time to come through it.

Reactions: AlECat12

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, welcome :)

Thanks for sharing this. I have used food to comfort grief too. It's worth mentioning that there are all sorts of forms of grief as well as grieving when someone has died. Any sort of loss in our lives can cause this, whether it's loss of a loved one, a job, health, divorce etc. It's good to recognize why we might develop an unhealthy relationship with food. I found counselling helped me immensely.

AlECat12

Type of diabetes
LADA
Thanks for ur replies and ur honest stories, it feels gud to talk about it. The counselling helped me, maybe not at the time but agter a while things began to click with wat was told.

Reactions: Prem51 and zand