Eating out

lindiloo62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
New to this but can anyone makes suggestions for eating out i.e. best restaurant thank you

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What kind of food are you thinking of? I have favourites for various cuisines..
Chicken Tikka and some kind of low carb veg spinach or aubergine for Indian
Crispy duck and maybe stir fry veg at Chinese
Steak or a bunless burger
Italian I'd try for liver or chicken
Fish and chips.. peel off the batter and avoid the chips replace with salad or find somewhere that does grilled fish
Thai is more difficult maybe a coconut based curry no rice maybe gain some stir fried veg
Japanese either sashimi or yakitori/teriyaki (watch out for the sweet marinade though)
You can usually find something on any menu.. hubby gets the extra carbage if he fancies it otherwise it gets left or I ask for it to be left off.. have never had problem anywhere with that.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well Pizza Express is probably best avoided, but otherwise most Menu's will have numerous suitable choices.

Many restaurants will happily replace Chips or Potatoes with a Salad.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks my grand daughters usually go for McDonalds !!! Obviously not right lol
Dump the bun and the fries and drink water.. the burger patties and cheese should be fine even the pickles probably.
Their website lists all the ingredients and nutritional info so check it out.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to remember a regular poster @GeoffersTaylor used to order a Breakfast McMuffin without the Muffin and often it was replaced with an additional Patty and Cheese.

Although that might probably tell you more than you want to know about the relative value of the muffin (bun) and meat :arghh:

Reactions: Ultramum

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always find that pubs are a good option as you can mix and match from their menu. I will often have a starter eg garlic prawns or calamari with green salad and cheese selection for dessert (minus the grapes and biscuits!). Replace chips with a salad eg ham, eggs and salad. Or look on line at the menu and find a pub that does cauliflower cheese which can replace roast potatoes in a Sunday roast.

Reactions: lindiloo62

Hotpepper20000

Here McDonalds have decent salads. I ask for double chicken and leave off the salad dressing. They have any bread croutons and sweetened nuts separate so it's easy to leave.
Nice to have that option when on a long road trip.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I seem to remember a regular poster @GeoffersTaylor used to order a Breakfast McMuffin without the Muffin and often it was replaced with an additional Patty and Cheese.

Although that might probably tell you more than you want to know about the relative value of the muffin (bun) and meat :arghh:
Not quite right - I just ask for the double sausage & egg Mcmuffin, sans le bun. Two patties, one egg and a slice of cheese. Protein and fats.

MuntiJay

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
i think it's better to google restaurants in your area and read reviews

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It depends what kind of restaurant you'll like and what your budget is.
For instance if you're going to Rossopomodoro pizzeria, you can order an olive and tomato or a "Caprese" salad, a chicken soup and an eggplant parmigiana. If you really really want to eat pizza they should make a "marinara" with whole wheat dough, it' high carb because is a pizza.
You could go to a stak house and take steak with green salad ands so on...