Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello all

I am still tying differing level of carbs, meals etc... and taking regular readings.

Had a Bacon and Mushroom sandwich ( low GI bread) with the family as part of the Saturday Brunch run from the local Bakers.

Pre reading was 5.3
1hr post was 8.3
2hr post was 6

The 8.3 is about as high as I have seen over the last few months since starting to measure my BG levels.

Question to all those eating to the meter and still consuming moderate carbs . Would you still eat this or is the middle spike to much?

What numbers do you follow when eating to the meter?

What makes you say not again?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I try to stay under 6 at all times. I would have had the bacon and mushrooms (possibly in an omelette) and left the bread. But I don't eat moderate carbs so maybe I'll keep out of this one...

Reactions: dbr10

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all

I am still tying differing level of carbs, meals etc... and taking regular readings.

Had a Bacon and Mushroom sandwich ( low GI bread) with the family as part of the Saturday Brunch run from the local Bakers.

Pre reading was 5.3
1hr post was 8.3
2hr post was 6

The 8.3 is about as high as I have seen over the last few months since starting to measure my BG levels.

Question to all those eating to the meter and still consuming moderate carbs . Would you still eat this or is the middle spike to much?

What makes you say not again?
Is this for T2's only?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is the general approach which has developed and proven successful for several type 2s who are seeing normal readings. I have noticed some type 1s who are eating low carb so as to minimise their insulin requirements, and some who have used it to minimise errors - the reasoning is that if their requirement per 10 grams of carb can fluctuate or is miscalculated, the error is obviously greater for 50 gm of carb than for 10, and so leaves them with smaller corrections or recoveries.
I think it is due to a greater acceptance that the mark1 Homo Sapiens sapiens was not designed to be fuelled by carbohydrate and is operating beyond specification when eating a modern diet as supplied by the middle aisles of supermarkets.
Personally, bread is not something I can cope with - and I am restricted to the Lidl Protein rolls, as I find that the sources of carbs are important - so eating just 10 gm of carbs from bread appears to raise my BG and keep it high for longer than 15 gm of carbs from a low carb meal of meat or fish and low starch vegetables, followed by a dessert of berries cream and no sugar jelly.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think the middle spike is too high, and would have added a fried egg and not had the bread.

But if I am out and about, I would put up the the bread to control the mess provided I was about to do some exercise.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I worked with the 2 hour post starting to eat, and so those numbers would be fine for me - except I avoid bread. It was a feature in my daily eating for almost 2 years before my diagnosis, and so I associated it with the acquisition of the problem.
One thing which low carb diet proponents have always emphasised is that the quality of the foods is important - the description goes right back to William Banting, long before Dr Atkins laid out his rules for Induction level.
Having had good results, beyond my expectations, and so fast - I had allowed a year to get a Hba1c in the 50s, and was at 47 in 80 days - I can only commend the method and hope that others find that they too can be shocked by their successful return to normal readings.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would say it depends on what you goals are at this time and for everyone that is different. Do you want to reverse type 2, get off medications if you are taking any? Reduce any complications you are experiencing?

For me I would be happy with these results as an occaisional treat but watch for later carb cravings or problems with next day fasting levels.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The 1 hour would be too high for me also the 3 point rise would concern me - if you want to have a sandwich take your own Lidl high protein roll to transfer your filling into - I don't like them much so would have added an extra low carb something like more bacon, mushrooms and in the past eggs (can't eat them now) and ditched the bun - your 2 hour number is good though :)

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally I try to stay under 6 at all times. I would have had the bacon and mushrooms (possibly in an omelette) and left the bread. But I don't eat moderate carbs so maybe I'll keep out of this one...
Very good advice.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I try not to go about 7 at any time, but definitely under 7.8 at an hour or at 90 minutes. I would also be more concerned about the 3mmol/l rise than the eventual level. Flat as possible is the best way to avoid damage. It is the variation in levels that is important, so I aim for nice gentle curves. However, your 2 hour level was very good so you did come down from that 8.3 very nicely, which is good for a diet only T2 and shows something is working. :)

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Cheers everyone for the advice
It would seem the bread was too much this time . I will stick to their rolls which to date I have managed far better.

Another big test today with a family/friends meal out. Had a fair amount of menu anxiety before with not knowing what I can order ( Indian restaurant )

Anyway ended up with a fair amount of red wine which has probably masked real results . I will Monitor next few days to see what happens

Pre dinner 4.2 (glass Red no starter)18:40
4.4 pre dinner19:40 ( mains took a while)
5.1post dinner 20:40 1hr
4.8 post dinner 21:40 2hr
4.4 post dinner 22:40 3 hr

Bottle of red or just over for me
Chicken shaslick
Mushroom Bhaji
Cauliflower Bhaji
Veg curry ( no potatoes)

Off to bed now

Night night