Eczema what do you do ?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a lot of diabetics have skinconditions among them Eczema.....
I am interested in what to do, at the moment my Eczema is very bad and my skin breaks right through so it bleeds many Places... I also have to wash my hands much more to measure my blood glucose, and the soap makes everything worse
Do already have som kind of cortisol-lotion... but du you have some good ideas... ,except from morning urine... ;)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you haven't already gone gluten free, think about it seriously - especially as regards checking any topical preparations you use:

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Eczema is an allergic reaction. Cold dry air can make it worse as can soaps for sure. Try washing with just warm water and no soap before you test if the soap is making it worse. Finding out what you are allergic to is really the only solution if it is something avoidable. The video Indy has posted is very interesting and well worth a watch.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes thanks for all 3 suggestions @chalup @mist and @Indy51 I´ll try it all...
have quite forgotten the gluten-thing... and now I hardly eat any bread and pasta it would be very possible to go non-gluten...

unfortunately I think I also have water allergy on my hands... if that is possible, I already have coconut oil so that I´ll try later today when finishing the mega laundry og 8 mashines today

Dark Horse

If you have eczema, I would try replacing all your soaps, shower gels etc. with soap substitutes such as Doublebase http://www.diomed.co.uk/dermal-laboratories/hcp-resource/products1/doublebase-range.ashx

The problem with the normal soaps and shower gels is that the detergents in them make the skin less of a barrier to allergens which then trigger eczema flare- ups. Once something has triggered a flare up, it can take 3 months for the skin to recover. Shampoo is a bit difficult to replace but wearing barrier gloves whilst shampooing and ensuring none of the lather runs on to the rest of the body is helpful.

Obviously following the usual advice about frequent, liberal applications of emollients will help.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have eczema, I would try replacing all your soaps, shower gels etc. with soap substitutes such as Doublebase http://www.diomed.co.uk/dermal-laboratories/hcp-resource/products1/doublebase-range.ashx

The problem with the normal soaps and shower gels is that the detergents in them make the skin less of a barrier to allergens which then trigger eczema flare- ups. Once something has triggered a flare up, it can take 3 months for the skin to recover. Shampoo is a bit difficult to replace but wearing barrier gloves whilst shampooing and ensuring none of the lather runs on to the rest of the body is helpful.

Obviously following the usual advice about frequent, liberal applications of emollients will help.

I´ll look at that very good advice too... thanks a lot

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the coco-nut oil feels really good on my hands, i´m sure I am not allergic to coconut-oil

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Dr can prescribe you shower gel and soap which doesn't lather tbf but does not upset excema either. I'm on both

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My excema is on my hands I am pretty sure it S because of soap and dish soap. Combined with stress

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Talk to your Dr. They can deffo prescribe stuff that will remove that problem instantly. :)