education info and opinions please

flojos mum

Chloes mum here again! I would value your reactions and opionion plus any infomation you know of regarding this.
just like to start of by saying Chloes teacher has been brilliant since she was diagnosed, cant say same for rest of school staff but thats another story.
Chloe has come back today to say they were talking about SATs tests and her teacher mentioned that it might be a good idea for chloe to go in a room by herself when they take place so that if she does need to eat or test bloods she does not disturb the others leaving the room- my instant reaction was why should she be treated any different, are there not children requesting to go to the toilet which would be the same distraction?
Then I got angry inside thinking how dare they discuss things like that without consulting me first and how does chloe feel being made to feel different yet again- i could see it in her face. I have told her to left it with me and I would get some information but where to find it?
but am I just over reacting, am i not thinking about how this affects the other children. What right and rules are there for diabetic children in test/exam situations? any help will be greatly received and a different persons option outside of Chloes protective mothers mind would be wonderful.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Test Administration guides issued by the QCA can be found here. The school needs to take on board how you and Chloe want to approach things.

Regards, Tubs.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It might not be a bad thing for Chloe to be in a room on her own for SATs, my last exam at university was in a room on my own (not due to diabetes for other reasons) and it was the best exam experience I've ever had, so nice and quiet and no distractions from other people going to the toilet etc like you said!
So even though the reasons for the school asking Chloe to be in a seperate room might not be very good, do consider it, personally I think most people would do better in exams if they didn't have to be in a massive room with loads of other people!

flojos mum

Thanks for that, HLW. Its good to hear another persons option and another way of looking at the situation.
Chloes teacher is very supportive and she was worried about the distraction of her and other children, she is going to ask the rules but as so far has drawn a blank on it. I think the agreed way will be for Chloe to be in the same room to begin with if she does have to go test her blood, eat or treat hypo then she will go into another room so she can carry on as the others will then finish before her.
Its nice to hear from someone who looks on the positve side which we try to do but Chloe is only 11 and diagnosed october 2008, so is still feeling a bit confused about the whole thing and resented being treated differently for anything because she is diabetic and has hit the not fair why me feeling. We will bring her out of it and she has done amazing, doing her own injections after 24hours in hospital but I am having to make sure she is happy with things at school. I shall get her to read your reply so she can see a positve side to it which she trys to do, she started a chat on here about the positive of being diabetic which just shows how grown up she is, thanks