Emotionally drained - long read sorry but need advice.

nigiollabhui

Hi All, I am new to the forums and new to diabetes! I was diagnosed with gestational Diabetes at 28 weeks. My fasting result was fine 4.5 but my 2hr was 9.2. I met with the diabetic teams midwife that gave me a blood testing monitor and an outline of foods to avoid and examples of portion size to follow. A week later I met with the consultant, dietician and diabetic nurse which left me feeling emotionally drained. There whole focus was on how I am putting my baby in danger and is at high risk of still birth and that their heart can stop at any second so they have to induce me early.
I followed all the guidance of the diabetic midwife before that appointment and everything was perfect on the scan so I couldn't understand the tone and attitude from the team. It left me upset and scared and worried anytime baby was quiet.
They allowed me to continue on the diet only approach as I am really worried about taking medication and terrified about the induction process they described. They gave me a target to stay below 7.8 on all readings which I have managed to do over the last fortnight, all bar 4 readings but I know they were because of food choices. I started having ketones in my samples so they told me to increase the amount of carbs in each meal. My 7 day average is 6.5 and many of my readings were 5.3 and 6.1. I was a lot more positive heading in to my appointment last week especially as the sonographer said all looked good and in normal ranges. Baby was estimated at 4.5lbs.
The diabetic nurse started off really positive with my readings and said although baby had a growth spurt since the last scan it was not just the abdomen but femur and head as well but all on similar track. So I was sure they would allow me to continue on diet and exercise.
When the consultant came in it all changed. He told me it was just not good enough and nothing I can do is good enough so I need medication and induced 37/38 weeks. When I questioned why he couldn't give me a straight answer, he couldn't explain what would cause baby to die (as he kept reminding me of this) or listen to me when I said I was not comfortable taking medication especially one that the NHS' own website states do not take in pregnancy.
Then the diabetic nurse said that my blood results need to be between 3.5 and 4.7 1 hr after every meal for me to continue on diet alone. I don't understand why they gave me a target of under 7.8 if it was never going to be good enough. I wouldn't of been so happy every time I saw a reading 6 and under if they had told me what they really wanted.
The consultant just wrote out a prescription said he has other things to see to and just take the medication.
They made me feel like I was intentionally harming baby and focused so much on my baby dying that it almost feels like it is going to happen and I can no longer picture having my baby after all this is over. I am just scared, so unhappy and stressed out any time readings are over 4.7. I got the prescription but I just can't seem to make myself take them. Finding it really hard to accept things are going wrong.
Any advice would be great. Just need a different opinion.

saz1902

Hello! Sorry to hear your having a bad time! I had gd a couple of years ago. The reading you have said you have on adverage sound fine. I'm no professional tho! I don't know why they are so keen to keep your levels so low. 4.7 sounds kind too low to me. Have they suggested insulin? I was put straight on to insulin when I was diagnosed, so maybe that makes a difference? Sorry I couldn't be more help. Could you ask to see a different dr for a second opinion? Hope all works out ok and all the best to you and baby. Keep us posted? X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

nigiollabhui

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply Saz1902,
I have decided not to take the Metformin they gave me and I looked up what taking insulin entails as I hate needles! but it does seem like a better alternative to medication. We will see what they say on Thursday about that! I have contacted another midwife and consultant about transferring my care as my Husband pointed out I am too upset by the team I am with now to have any hope of being relaxed on labour day. I can be referred but they may not take me this late as I am 33 weeks. I just need to feel a little bit more in control of the situation.
Thanks again

saz1902

What ever you decide is the best course of action. Go with what feels right for you :) wish you and your family all the best! Always here to help if possible! Take care and enjoy your little one! X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Why would they want you between 3.5 and 4.7 1hr after food? Nobody that I know whether pregnant or not can achieve those levels. Under 4.0 is hypo whether on medication or not and can make you feel light headed and awful.

If you take insulin you cannot be under 4.0... Under 4 and on the floor is the saying. If you drive.. You cannot drive under 5.0 without eating....

My goodness I am staggered at the last levels you have been told.
The 7.8 2hrs after eating target is more likely to keep you safe, and baby rather than 'hypo' levels...

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can totally sympathise. I found myself with a diagnosis of GD at 28 weeks pregnant with my little fella and I had no choice as I was out straight on insulin. I hate needles, have struggled with blood tests etc BUT the needles on the insulin peb are teeny. The Diabetic nurse got me to look the other way while she tested on me and I hardly felt a thing!!! Please dont worry. I would most definately get a second opinion as 3.5 is an incredibly low target to have. Being pregnant you still need some carbs etc and for you to have 3.5 on diet alone I wiuld say youd have to eat pretty much zero carbs!!!! under 7.8 was what I was told. I was induced at 37 weeks as they said.baby was over 10lb :O but he was a wee 7lb4 lol. I know its hard but try not to let it ruin the magical time that is pregnancy. PM me if you want to chat xxx

nigiollabhui

Thanks everyone for all the comments and support. I had a call yesterday from the Diabetic Midwife who had heard about how upset I was by the team last week and she went through all my readings for the last two weeks and scan results and told me I was fine and it was not necessary to take medication or start insulin at this point. She really reassured me and agreed with all of you about the new target levels and said they were ridiculously low. Feel so much better after reading your comments as I don't feel like it was just me struggling with what they were telling me. I have to see the same team again tomorrow so I hope they are ok with me as the Diabetic midwife can't be there this week either.

Also just wondering if any one lost a lot of weight when they changed their diet and exercise routines? I have lost 5 kilos and am now the same weight I was at booking in appointment at 12 weeks. is that normal?

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had borderline gestational 22 years ago with my third child. I was overweight when I got pregnant and was diet controlled once they found out I was borderline. I don't remember loosing weight during the pregnancy but I know I didn't put much on and once she was born I was over a stone lighter than I had been before I got pregnant.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I lost weight. I weighed less when I left hospital after having my baby than I was when I conceived! !! You are going to be well looked after so they will jump in if they think its a worry xxx