Empagliflozin

Queenofsheba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been prescribed Empagliflozin few days ago as my 4 metmorfin not working ,been diabetic 6 years.As it's a new drug it was released to pharmaceutical companies 2015 ,side effects in the future not known,my glucose count has reduced in two days, and no side effects yet but need to urinate more often.Anyone have any other effects?Hopefully in 3 months I won't need to go on insulin as worried.I am trying now to reduce my carbs.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just 'bumping' your post to get it up to the top of the list again, so hopefully you will get a response from someone who knows something about the drug. :)

Helb167

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take empagliflozin too. Since taking it my hba1c has gone from 104 to 62. The side effects I've had are a few urine infections. I pee more too. At the x-pert diabetes course they told me that on this drug you pee out the equivalent of a mars bar in glucose every day

Boofey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I also take Jardiance and pee regularly but I have had no side effects other than losing a stone in weight!! Result ...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I couldnt put up with the constant painful thrush, on canagliflozin. Shame as it was an excellent drug.

Reactions: Liam1955

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I couldn't put up with the constant thrush either and unfortunately it made no difference to my weight anyway. Doing better on the LC HF.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just 'bumping' your post to get it up to the top of the list again, so hopefully you will get a response from someone who knows something about the drug. :)

There is an FDA warining on this family of drugs, and there have been some posters here that report hospital admissions on account of it so it seems to be something to take seriosusly.

https://www.gov.uk/drug-safety-upda...n-empagliflozin-risk-of-diabetic-ketoacidosis

Also warnings of kidney / pancreas damage reported in other threads on this site. This family of drugs is not the answer to a maidens prayer. I was on it for a short while, but had to give up following a severe thrush infection that needed major sledgehammer to fix.

Note: the NHS does not give out these warnings and most UK doctors are probably unaware of the FDA notices

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Helb167 - That's a brilliant result on your HBA1C :). I am taking another called Dapagliflozin that belongs to the same group of drugs. And was on it a year ago and pee'd for England, but brought down my HBA1C from 81 to 56. Unfortunately after a year on it and umpteen episodes of Thrush and Burning Urine it was stopped by the Diabetologist.
Now, after being off it for 10 months my GP has put me back on it, because my HBA1C gone back up to 76 (due to taking pain relief medication).

FelineFan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't suffer fools gladly!
Hi all
I've just been started on Dapagliflozin 5mg. Been on it for 2.5 weeks. So far no thrush or UTI, but like you all pee for England! My BP has come down since being on it, as has my weight, though have been unwell this past week with cough/cold type symptoms and lack of appetite? Not sure if tablet related or cold related?
Am concerned about the reports listed above, so will be very vigilant! I know my Dr is keeping a close eye on me, which is reassuring. Saw her yesterday and will see her again next Monday.

Reactions: Liam1955

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@FelineFan - You might not get any side effects? All medications have side effects, but some people are 'lucky' not to experience them - medicines effect us all differently and you may not get any at all.
Whilst on this drug Dapagliflozin just make sure you drink plenty of fluids - preferably water to prevent dehydration. :)