Employers routinely discriminate

Imperial

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Type 1 Diabetes.

Employers are inherently discriminatory in the UK. As soon as they find out you have T1 diabetes they will not employ you.

Of course they cannot out and out say that is the reason because they would get sued but it is obvious.

I have applied for so many jobs and got to the very final stage only to be told I have been unsuccessful.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Type 1 Diabetes.

Employers are inherently discriminatory in the UK. As soon as they find out you have T1 diabetes they will not employ you.

Of course they cannot out and out say that is the reason because they would get sued but it is obvious.

I have applied for so many jobs and got to the very final stage only to be told I have been unsuccessful.

What sort of work are you applying for Imperial? Some kinds of work are trickier for tose with diabetics, and some (often for safety reasons) unsuitable for those with T1.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Imperial - sorry to hear you're not having much success. Yeh I'd believe you when you say that even from work places that claim they don't discriminate do. I know from my past experience on selection panels for recruiting that the questions are asked about amount of leave taken and if there is any mention of a medical issue there is discussion about whether or not they can even handle the job. That shouldn't happen I know, but it does. For example I recall we had about 3 people tell us they couldn't sit down due to back issues so we took preference for people who could sit down. But then of course it would depend on the role you're applying for. Some roles they can't afford to put anyone in them that may be considered high risk for either fault or accidents.

I'm living with multiple conditions so I know my chances of finding other work will be very hard as I can't even do a job interview these days as I struggle with my talking and I burp a lot. I know it shouldn't happen, but I am fully aware that I'd be discriminated against even though I shouldn't be. It happens in my own life anyhow... I get the stares, laughs, and comments... nothing I can do to stop that.

Perhaps it may be a good idea to seek help from an employment agency or something like that? They may have some helpful advice or ideas on employers to try. I'm not sure what resources you have available where you are.

I wish you the best. :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have Type 1 Diabetes.

I have Type 1 and have managed to get jobs, although it's not easy in the current climate.

When do you disclose your diabetes? If I'm asked, I obviously disclose it, but otherwise I don't mention it until I get the job and am filling in the health forms they then send.

Often application forms have a question like "Do you have a disability that will affect your ability to do this job?" I answer No because it doesn't.

If I get a job and haven't had to fill in any health forms so haven't had a chance to put my diabetes there, I speak to my manager and colleagues and tell them early on but only so they're aware of it, not because I'm saying it's going to be a problem.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I've not found this to be the case @Imperial and have had many jobs since my diagnosis, nearly all have been cooperative when it comes to time off for appointments and such.

I think if you explain to them that your diabetes won't effect your ability to do the work it helps somewhat.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have to agree with the others @Imperial. In my life I've done manual labour, office based and site based jobs and have never been turned down for a job as a result of Diabetes, or suffered discrimination when in a job as a result of it.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I've never put on an application form I'm diabetic, employers are too picky!

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
We have to complete a occupational health questionnaire every year and to be fair the company I work for has been great

Reactions: pardesi