Entitlement To Benefits

mkzp123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a 5 year old son who has been diagnosed with type one diabetes. He needs insulin four times a day since February

My wife has had to leave her job since he was diagnosed which has had a massive financial impact in our lifes

Currently we have been awarded the middle rate care element dla allowance for Our son which is going straight into his account which we are not going to spend a penny of it as this will help him in the future. Not sure if we should be recieving the higher element or is the middle rate correct ?

are there any other benefits that we may be awarded or can apply for ?

At present my child wakes up around 2 to 3 times in the night to pass urine how ever ever our toilet is down stairs therfor we take him downstairs as we dnt feel comfortable sending our son alone to go downstairs.

I am looking to take out a loan to build an upstairs toilet in the spare room for him in our house as this will make things easier for him as this will probably carry on for the rest of his life

Is anyone aware of any interest free loans or grants which may help us ?

Me or my partner have never ever claimed any benefits before. We own our own house and have some savings but with my wife leaving her job as our main priority is our son. It has had a massive impact on us financially.

We are struggling to take the kids out to theme parks etc in half term hols which i feel so sad for them as we always have taken them out since they were born but due to our financial situation this is now limited.

I seriously hope this msg does not come across as i am someone who is looking to scrounge of the system

Any help will be appreciated

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have any financial advice but I wanted to say what wonderful parents you both seem.
You're a credit to your son. I was five when I was diagnosed and I know how hard it was for my parents.

All the best to you & your family.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sorry about your sons diagnosis. A quick Google search turned up the following:

https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Have you mentioned the frequent toilet trips to his diabetes team, it might be that his insulin needs adjusting as excessive peeing can be a symptom of high blood glucose.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The citizens advice can be a great help
CAROL

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Also try your local council for grants - home improvements for less able people.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Weeing during the night should not continue constantly...... You may have to do a test during the night.. Ir if on a pump a few more tests, but once levels are sustainably reached at 5-8 then excessive wee's during night should stop. If not, please speak to GP.

DLA- middle line is about right, full time care for those with brain injuries etc would get more.

Check with Citzens Advice about possibility of any other entitlements. However theme parks etc aren't a necessity....if you couldn't put food on the table that would be a different matter...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, I think you're lucky to get the middle rate of DLA: plenty of diabetic kids are turned down. Or does your son have other disabilities?

Has your wife tried to claim carer's allowance? If your son is considered disabled enough to get DLA, your wife may be eligible if she is considered to have stopped work to look after him.

Other than that, there are cheaper options than theme parks for a family day out that are just as much fun. A day at the beach, a walk in the woods, a picnic ...

Kate

Reactions: 2 people

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are supposed to use the money you get from DLA to help your life currently. It is not meant to be put in a savings account.

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You are supposed to use the money you get from DLA to help your life currently. It is not meant to be put in a savings account.
Agree with Denise on this.. Thats why its called Disibility Living Allowance.. It is there to help with living now.
Diabetes to an adult is not a disability.. You have to make the most of what you got.. Middle range is good for achild with diabetes...and should be used to allow him to live as normal as possible now... Diabetes camps etc...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 7 people

mkzp123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your help, advice and information
It is highly appreciated
What everyone has said all makes sense which I will take on board

Thanks again

Reactions: 2 people