1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Essential info for choosing a pump

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by icarusman, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LizzieNI

LizzieNI Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Really wish I'd seen this before I got my pump back in November. Thanks.

2. LizzieNI

I received the Verio IQ meter for completing the hypo training on diabetes.co.uk which I am thrilled about as it easily tells you when it finds a high or low BG trend.
    Unfortunately having the Accuchek Aviva Combo means I use the handset for BGM which is handy for calculating insulin etc. But now I have two meters with different benefits and they don't talk to each other.
    Pity.
    Don't really want to do two tests every time and pretty sure NHS won't supply double strips.
    Does the Accuchek allow manual entry of BG? I know it allows manual insulin needs directly but can't seem to see any way of manually entering BG

Spoilt I know - I want all the technology. ;)

3. jgordon5

jgordon5 · Well-Known Member

I don't know whether anyone will see this as the thread was started so long ago but I'm trying to find out as much as I can about pumps because I'm hoping I'll be able to start using one soon.
    So I looked for newer reports on government sites and there don't seem to be any newer than 2008/9. That's a bit alarming in itself! Unless I'm mistaken and you or someone on the forum has found newer ones?

If you have any more up to date information or guidelines, I'd be grateful for any help. Thanks very much.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I would also like more up to date information as I have been put forward for the pump this morning, but won't be starting it until November, so any info would be a blessing

• Like Like x 2
  5. jgordon5

jgordon5 · Well-Known Member

Oh that's good news! I've still waiting for referral. It all seems to grind forward very slowly. In the meantime I've found some useful information here http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/.

• Like Like x 2
  6. LizzieNI

I chose a pump from the input nhs list but then it wasn't available in my trust area. Best to ask your team what they have as you can only get what they're trained in.

• Like Like x 4
  7. johnny37

johnny37 · Well-Known Member

Im choosing a pump at the moment. Seems to be a lot of support for Accu-Chek Combo. Gives me more confidence as I have been on this for 4 years without using the handset functions.

8. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

The combo, vibe and 640G are all, if you ignore the handsets and CGM very similar. They all offer basal rate, TBR, various bolusing options and really this is what you need. Beyond that, it's all bells and whistles, and some of those are really handy. A remote is great for discretion. Smartguard is great for those who have lost hypo awareness. Dexcom is great for cheap CGM. Take your pick!

• Like Like x 1
  9. barme1

barme1 Type 1 · Newbie

I have been on a pump for 10 years. After 50 years of injections . I will stay with the pump.

10. simonfholt

simonfholt Type 1 · Member

Animas are to stop making pumps so don’t go there. I find Medtronic very good and their helpline is excellent. Having a pump has dramatically improved my life!

• Like Like x 1
  11. hopeful84

hopeful84 · Member

Hi to All!
    I come from Poland and at the begining I'd like to sorry for my English as I have started learning so pls forgive me that, I am writing to You about help with choosing the insulin pump between Paradigm 715 and Accu Chek Combo or anything else if You can recommend sth? second question is about NHS, do You know how can I get the insulin pump from the country where You live if I come from the other country? is it possible? One month ago my dad passed away and I am afraid of my mom . I decided to do my best to help her so I am here and looking for any way to get it as I heard it makes life better and easier. I will be grateful for any information.. Best Regards

*edited to remove email address

#31 hopeful84, Nov 13, 2017 at 1:32 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2017 at 1:50 PM
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook