Ever just want to give up??

Daniel95503

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm tired of it. Was well controlled, then got a jacked up lot of generic metformin and I am now very high in mornings. For all you non mmol's out there, I wake up now with very high 200's to low 300's. High for the day has been 439. Insurance is a big f****all for letting me have what might help, I am going on insulin, my choice, sometimes I feel what's the point?!?! Eat well and take care of myself and this is what I get, acid blood killing me. I am to the point where I can't see a bloody thing, afraid to drive after dark and so high I am getting head rushes

Edited for language

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As much as nobody likes to go on insulin it saves our lives. Not only that but after bs is under control younshould feel much better.
Have you had the c peptide or GAD tests?

My bs shot up to between 250-400 literally overnight and I couldn't do anything to bring it down. Wanted to fight insulin but so glad I didn't. My tests revealed I needed it.

Hope you feel better very soon

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to be honest and say no - if I sink it will be with flags flying and all guns in action - but taking insulin is not giving up but taking back control

Reactions: bkr

Daniel95503

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Kristin251. Insulin is my choice, and I want to do it. Just so hard getting a diabetic doc here. I have a month to wait. I can feel the highs destroying me, both mood and body. I'm sure once I am on something that might help I know it will be better and I will feel better.

Do you know why it shot up overnight? Mine seemed to do the same, and I think that is why I am so ******, I have no idea why

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251. Insulin is my choice, and I want to do it. Just so hard getting a diabetic doc here. I have a month to wait. I can feel the highs destroying me, both mood and body. I'm sure once I am on something that might help I know it will be better and I will feel better.

Do you know why it shot up overnight? Mine seemed to do the same, and I think that is why I am so ******, I have no idea why
I had lost tons of weight and the docs kept telling me I was fine. I was by no means fine. I was eating tons of food, albeit very low carb as I have always been. The end of told me to go out and eat a ton so I did. That's the night IR shot way up and nothing I did or didn't do brought it under about 225. He also put me on amaryl which I think shortly after burned out my pancreas. I also believe without making much insulin on my own my pancreas couldn't keep up or catch up enough to bring it back down.
I remember once it was 299 and I walked around a mall without stopping for one full hour. Took my sugar and it was 300!!!

I am vlc and small doses of insulin as I eat small meals and a few fat snacks.

I'm glad you decided to do this but a month seems a very long time with those numbers and symptoms! No chance of getting in earlier???

Have you lost weight for no real reason?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got one reading of over 10 mmol/l in the last week - no idea why or what from, but as all the others are well under 8 I am fine with it - unless it starts to happen more frequently and I can't find out why - I suspect that I had some of my husband's super sweet tea on my finger tip. I certainly hope so. It would be a 180 in US units, I think.
If your levels stay high then perhaps cutting down on carbs would drag them down until you can get to see a doctor and obtain advice and insulin. I know that some people see carbs as their birthright - but as a temporary stop gap low carb night help.

teej77

I'm tired of it. Was well controlled, then got a jacked up lot of generic metformin and I am now very high in mornings. For all you non mmol's out there, I wake up now with very high 200's to low 300's. High for the day has been 439. Insurance is a big f****all for letting me have what might help, I am going on insulin, my choice, sometimes I feel what's the point?!?! Eat well and take care of myself and this is what I get, acid blood killing me. I am to the point where I can't see a bloody thing, afraid to drive after dark and so high I am getting head rushes

Edited for language
I know that feeling after i was 'Overdosed@ with metformin i have never been the same, i have been insulin dependant for around 5 years now the doctor tells me one thing about counting carbs and adjusting my insulin and the diabetic nurse tells me that counting carbs is not for Type 2 i wish I could get the right answer on fasting in the mornings im still over 10mmol and i hate the way it makes me feel !!!! and YES I AM TIRED of it too ;(

Reactions: MaryTC

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Diabetes is a progressive disease for most of us. Some people can kick its butt by finding a diet and exercise regime that works for them, but many gradually get worse despite all their best efforts. That isn't failure on your part, you just have an illness that needs treatment.

As diabetes is fickle and there's no one treatment that suits everyone, so is the progression of the condition unique to all. I can't tell you why your values went bonkers overnight, but it's not unusual and it's not a reflection on your efforts. I hope you can get this sorted asap, values like yours can affect you badly if they're not treated quickly. Call the emergency number immediately if your symptoms get worse (especially if you continuously feel sluggish!).

I know that feeling after i was 'Overdosed@ with metformin i have never been the same, i have been insulin dependant for around 5 years now the doctor tells me one thing about counting carbs and adjusting my insulin and the diabetic nurse tells me that counting carbs is not for Type 2 i wish I could get the right answer on fasting in the mornings im still over 10mmol and i hate the way it makes me feel !!!! and YES I AM TIRED of it too ;(
Carb counting is for everyone, especially insulin dependent diabetics. Type is irrelevant! There are tons of folks who can help you figure out how to carb count as they have plenty of resources on these forums, thankfully.

If you wake up with high values, there can be a ton of different reasons. I'd start with seeing if your basal rate is okay before you make adjustments to your bolus. This is a very handy guide: https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

See what results you get from this. You might be going high in the morning due to dawn phenomenon, but your basal rate could be wrong too. If everything seems okay, I'd talk to your nurse, and if they're not receptive to carb counting and adjusting your insulin, I'd get a second opinion.

teej77

Diabetes is a progressive disease for most of us. Some people can kick its butt by finding a diet and exercise regime that works for them, but many gradually get worse despite all their best efforts. That isn't failure on your part, you just have an illness that needs treatment.

As diabetes is fickle and there's no one treatment that suits everyone, so is the progression of the condition unique to all. I can't tell you why your values went bonkers overnight, but it's not unusual and it's not a reflection on your efforts. I hope you can get this sorted asap, values like yours can affect you badly if they're not treated quickly. Call the emergency number immediately if your symptoms get worse (especially if you continuously feel sluggish!).

Carb counting is for everyone, especially insulin dependent diabetics. Type is irrelevant! There are tons of folks who can help you figure out how to carb count as they have plenty of resources on these forums, thankfully.

If you wake up with high values, there can be a ton of different reasons. I'd start with seeing if your basal rate is okay before you make adjustments to your bolus. This is a very handy guide: https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

See what results you get from this. You might be going high in the morning due to dawn phenomenon, but your basal rate could be wrong too. If everything seems okay, I'd talk to your nurse, and if they're not receptive to carb counting and adjusting your insulin, I'd get a second opinion.

I had been told this about dawn phenomenon as I am a morning (early) person, however its the constant miss information that I get from on profession to another it does not help, all i want to do is feel normal instead of sick all the time ;(

KenBachelor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
Hi Daniel - I've been taking insulin since I was 22 (almost 60 years) and believe me it's nothing more than a damned nuisance, because you have to organise your life so that you can eat at the right time. Apart from that there's nothing you can't do, so please don't think of it as anything more.

Last edited:
M

mist

Edited for language

Insulin isn't a big deal my friend and it will help you get better control which is the most important thing.

SimonR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My message is that you still have options. My recommendation would be to consider starting a very low carb, high fat way of eating - the variant with less than 20g of carbs a day. It's not the easiest way of living, but it is very likely to reduce your dependency on drugs.

Reactions: debrasue

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Insulin is stopping me from rotting away. I'm thankful for it.
I'd be dead without it so I appreciate it. Some poor people cannot afford it and have no choice but to rot. Even on low carb diets.
Please don't take your fortune for granted. Many a person in your shoes would be thankful for insulin. Use it to your advantage.
Enjoy your life again.

Reactions: debrasue

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
it just sounds like your type 2 has progressed.... I'm glad you've recognised you need insulin. I also insisted on getting diagnostic tests redone again back in 2010 and I'm glad I did as the results showed I had to be on insulin. There's no point bashing our heads on walls with the diet and pills when the reality is we need the insulin. I often think if I had just agreed to continue taking the pills that I'd been taking I probably would be even worse off now.... they were doing nothing for me of course as they only work when you produce sufficient insulin yourself.