Excuses given why you shouldn't test

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
After reading a lot of posts on here, I have seen some of the most bizarre excuses from doctors, nurses and HCP's. So I thought I would start this thread to see what the most bizarre reasons are for not testing.

Sent from my iPad

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The most bizarre one I read (although no way of knowing if it was actually said) was that you didn't want to damage the finger tips as you would need them to read Braille:eek:.....although you use the sides and not the tips of the fingers:rolleyes:

Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was originally told that it was considered to be a complete waste of time. Later after pressing the question over the phone I was told that they had had £60,000 cut from their budget.

Guess which one I believe.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You will know what your bloods are by the way that you feel !!!
CAROL

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carty - I would challenge that statement for those at the beginning of their diabetes journey. I'm sure I wasn't alone in feeling a bit unwell for a while, as my diet/exercise/bloods sorted themselves out. Without testing, I would not have understood that the floaty, weak, light-headed feeling I was experiencing was my body reacting to an improvement. I would have sworn I had "gone too far" in the changes I was making.

Almost 4 months on, now, I recognise when I run high - although it hasn't happened for a while. I can usually identify when a liver dump is happening, and so on. But, I only know those things as I have tested when I have felt the signs and been able to identify the causes.

I would assert that around the time of diagnosis testing is imperative, if the diabetic is motivated to take control.

Abject apologies, Carty - I thought for a minute this was your response!!!! No wonder my jaw dropped!!!! I've gone all hot and bothered. A bit like I do when I might run high. :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
You will know what your bloods are by the way that you feel !!!
CAROL
That is so, so dangerously misleading on the part of the doctor. What if someone has had such high readings that they become unaware of the symptoms of hyperglycemia? :confused:

Reactions: 4 people

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How many of these doctors would accept "going by how you feel" as acceptable.from their T1 patients? It is a crazy and dangerous double standard

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mcdonagh47

After reading a lot of posts on here, I have seen some of the most bizarre excuses from doctors, nurses and HCP's. So I thought I would start this thread to see what the most bizarre reasons are for not testing.

Sent from my iPad

you'll be upset and worried if the number is high.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Sine waves

From a post back in 2012

The reason why my healthcare team said that it was not important to test was that (she explained the thing with the sine waves and how diabetics are prone to larger sine waves than non diabetics) and that if I self tested I would not know where I was on the course of the 'wave' so to speak and it could give me the wrong indications and I could place too much emphasis on these indicators.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Can still hear the increasingly strident DSN who had already objected to my low carb regime let alone testing

"You WILL stop that right NOW it will send you mad!"

Reactions: 7 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
You dont need to know thats our job. Whatever they are dont matter as we will readjust you diet after your hb..
Argument ensued
Ok do it once a week but not more you dont understand the numbers
Nope l wont know how l am doing or how foods affect me.
Whatever you feel is imaterial we can adjust every 3 months...
Polite version of up yours and l continue to test.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
A diabetes/cardio patient at an X-PERT group - "my doctor said he would test my blood regularly."
Me - "How often is 'regular'?"
Him - "annually."

Reactions: 3 people

Chatterbox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Feeling hungry! “Should you be eating that?” “ You get it because you eat wrong”
"You will only worry"

:wideyed:

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As I thought its scary their attitudes towards testing, please keep them coming

Sent from my iPad

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Can still hear the increasingly strident DSN who had already objected to my low carb regime let alone testing

"You WILL stop that right NOW it will send you mad!"
Are you sure she was talking about pricking a finger!;)

Reactions: 7 people

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
These are the sort of trials that decide our fate with regard to test strips. This one was conducted over three years using 453 patients with non -insulin treated diabetes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1925177/
The trouble is there is so much contradicting stuff when it comes to studies. And we have to suffer because of it. Please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't NICE recommend the self monitoring of newly diagnosed diabetics, surely there is other areas where the nhs can save money without putting lives at risk

Sent from my iPad

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know if this is bizarre enough, but I was told it was against guidelines. I did however try my best to scare them and said wouldn't eat a single carb until I had a meter, only bacon and butter and such as I knew they didn't contain any carbs. It worked, even though the DSN kept mentioning guidelines in every second sentence. I got 100 strips that are to cover six months.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know if this is bizarre enough, but I was told it was against guidelines. I did however try my best to scare them and said wouldn't eat a single carb until I had a meter, only bacon and butter and such as I knew they didn't contain any carbs. It worked, even though the DSN kept mentioning guidelines in every second sentence. I got 100 strips that are to cover six months.
That is one of the excuses that made me think of this threads, have you any idea what guidelines they were going by?

Sent from my iPad