Exercise, Low Carb + Loss Energy

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I want to exercise badly to lose weight and lower HbA1c.

But I feel so weak and don’t have energy on low carb diet.

Please help!

Reactions: Freema

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exercise isn’t the thing that will drop pounds, diet is. Building muscle strength will certainly help though and diet is the main factor to reducing your HbA1c

What do you eat in a day, what meds are you on and what are you BS numbers like?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for this.

Im a tennis player and need to play and compete, however, I feel absolutely weak and no energy on low-carb diet.

My BG reads between 5s and 6s, on Metformin 500mg.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for this.

Im a tennis player and need to play and compete, however, I feel absolutely weak and no energy on low-carb diet.

My BG reads between 5s and 6s, on Metformin 500mg.

What do you actually eat?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: scrambled eggs with mushroom with coconut oil

Lunch: Chicken or Beef or Salmon with vegetables, small portion of beans and brown rice

Dinner: Chicken or Fish with vegetables cooked in coconut oil/butter

Snacks: 1 slice of low-carb Keto bread, olives, cheese, nuts.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: scrambled eggs with mushroom with coconut oil

Lunch: Chicken or Beef or Salmon with vegetables, small portion of beans and brown rice

Dinner: Chicken or Fish with vegetables cooked in coconut oil/butter

Snacks: 1 slice of low-carb Keto bread, olives, cheese, nuts.

That looks good. Ok with the beans and rice as far as BS goes? How long have you been low carb?
Have you any other medical conditions?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are trying to eat high carb foods as part of a low carb diet - as you found out, it just doesn't work.
Eating low carb foods opens up a whole lot of highly nutritious meals which should correct your low energy - there is nothing you need in bread or rice and even beans can be problematic for some as they are too high carb.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The ratio in many circumstances is around 85% diet and 15% exercise for weight loss, unless you are prepared to train for around 4 hours a day. Exercise is like the cherry on the top, but has many more benefits on top for general physical and mental health.

As you are doing low carb, when you get the fat side sorted (advised to you in another thread) you will have the energy. I used to struggle doing a 5 km walk. Now take today as an example I walked 2 miles, and did heavy weights on 2 separate occasions fasted, only eating once at 16.00. I then completed my 13500 steps (6 miles) after dinner.

This is possible when you become fat adapted, but first you have to train your body to use fat as fuel in place of carbs.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BG doesn't spike on brown rice and beans Im afraid and I only eat small portions.

I tried pure low-carb (just vegetables) without carbohydrates and I nearly died 2-3x and ended up at the A &E due to loss of energy, muscle weakness and severe nausea.

We are all different.

I need energy even if it means I need to get it from a slice of brown bread or 2-3 teaspoons of brown rice with beans!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But veges do have carbohydrates - some quite a lot of them.
I might be misunderstanding what you are saying - when you eat the bread and beans and rice, do you feel fully energized and able to function, plus you have good blood sugars?
I eat no grain and small amounts of beans if I have any at all.
I do eat loads of salad stuff, and low carb veges, plus meat and fish, eggs and a little cheese, and a little fruit. I have loads of energy and have trouble sleeping as I find it difficult to stop doing things even in the middle of the night. My blood glucose is usually under 7mmol/l

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why dont you just eat som carby food right before doing your tennis sessions ?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Which ones would you recommend?

I'd like to know.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good for you.

Your diet doesn't work with me Im afraid.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat low Glycemic Vegetables: no potatoes, white rice, bread, pasta, corn, peas, squash or noodles.

And yet I am starving and very little energy, muscle weakness and fatigue due to low-carbing!!!