exercise mikes recumbent one where you sit in a chair sort of thing or a traditional one in a saddle

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@red1mot . As far as I am aware the recumbent bikes put less strain on you physically. Having your body in the seated/ reclined position takes excess strain off your heart and makes exercise easier compared to an upright bike. Not sure that using a recumbent bike will directly have an effect on your neuropathy.

Reactions: Freema

red1mot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@red1mot . As far as I am aware the recumbent bikes put less strain on you physically. Having your body in the seated/ reclined position takes excess strain off your heart and makes exercise easier compared to an upright bike. Not sure that using a recumbent bike will directly have an effect on your neuropathy.

thankyou

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Freema

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i dont have any bikes just thinking of buying one

@red1mot

I have both a recumbent and several diamond (conventional framed) bikes. I got a Rans Stratus (rolling recumbent) because I was following the lead of Geoff Whitington http://www.fixingdad.com/watch-the-film in his battle of putting T2DM into remission. Geoff started cycling where he could barely ride his bike for more than 2 miles. Then after about 18 months he progressively got more serious to gain back his health after being warned of foot amputation. There was a 7 month period where Geoff trained for the Prudential 100 mile race. The story goes that by the time Geoff got to the start line he'd put his diabetes into remission. I've been trying to emulate his success. I've lost 52 lbs from worst weight around the time of my diagnosis, yet so far not 100% complete remission.
I found with a conventional bike doing extended rides has issues with comfort of sitting on a bike seat for extended periods of time. There are known issues of sitting on a regular bike seat that are related to a man's genitalia when cycling for 30+ mile rides. I won't wear padded biking short only because I'm on a bike every day and I want to wear jeans or some such attire. I don't want to be MAMIL (middle aged man in Lyrca) That is why I've opted for a recumbent so whilst cycling I could at least see the world going by and appreciate its beauty. Actually having a vista and sitting on a relatively comfortable seat has been the object for buying the recumbent. Even now I'm not 100% convinced that having the recumbent will be the answer to my issues but I've been putting in longer rides for sure since getting it.

I've read of bicycle tourists that take two month tours during the summer here in the US and lose 25 lbs or more of weight. That for me would almost certainly give me remission to my condition.

Looking at your profile, there is much for you to learn. Personally I don't eat breakfast most mornings. See http://www.tinyurl.com/Dr-JasonFung for why I do intermittent fasting.

I've recently seen the following videos

https://news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/

http://gero.usc.edu/2017/02/23/fasting-mimicking-diet-may-reverse-diabetes/

& Here, Dr Michael Mosely, does his thing and along the way interviews Dr Longo about 5-6 years ago.

I am continuing to cycle 20+ miles each and every day. That really helps with the neuropathy. I take 1 x 300 mg Alpha Lipoaic Acid tablet specifically for the neuropathy too. I try and eat my main meal around 2-3pm then follow that with my daily exercise of the 20+ mile bike ride. The ride takes care of most spikes of blood glucose. I come home after my ride and typically eat an apple which doesn't appear to spike my BGs. I'd wake in the morning and test and see that my FBG was around 110mg/dl or less (a good control number).

Having watched the bottom URL video of Dr Michael Mosely I am going to see if I can lose a few more lbs via his 5 and 2 diet schema as Phd Vater Longo says that fasting causes 'Autophagy' and that helps repair the cells in the body. I have shared the above of what I do. I have over the last 6 months also cycled about 3000 miles. I can't guarantee that what I've done will help you but I know I am more healthier than I've been in a long time.

I hope the above helps..

LBB

Last edited:

red1mot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@red1mot

I have both a recumbent and several diamond (conventional framed) bikes. I got a Rans Stratus (rolling recumbent) because I was following the lead of Geoff Whitington http://www.fixingdad.com/watch-the-film in his battle of putting T2DM into remission. Geoff started cycling where he could barely ride his bike for more than 2 miles. Then after about 18 months he progressively got more serious to gain back his health after being warned of foot amputation. There was a 7 month period where Geoff trained for the Prudential 100 mile race. The story goes that by the time Geoff got to the start line he'd put his diabetes into remission. I've been trying to emulate his success. I've lost 52 lbs from worst weight around the time of my diagnosis, yet so far not 100% complete remission.
I found with a conventional bike doing extended rides has issues with comfort of sitting on a bike seat for extended periods of time. There are known issues of sitting on a regular bike seat that are related to a man's genitalia when cycling for 30+ mile rides. I won't wear padded biking short only because I'm on a bike every day and I want to wear jeans or some such attire. I don't want to be MAMIL (middle aged man in Lyrca) That is why I've opted for a recumbent so whilst cycling I could at least see the world going by and appreciate its beauty. Actually having a vista and sitting on a relatively comfortable seat has been the object for buying the recumbent. Even now I'm not 100% convinced that having the recumbent will be the answer to my issues but I've been putting in longer rides for sure since getting it.

I've read of bicycle tourists that take two month tours during the summer here in the US and lose 25 lbs or more of weight. That for me would almost certainly give me remission to my condition.

Looking at your profile, there is much for you to learn. Personally I don't eat breakfast most mornings. See http://www.tinyurl.com/Dr-JasonFung for why I do intermittent fasting.

I've recently seen the following videos

https://news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/

http://gero.usc.edu/2017/02/23/fasting-mimicking-diet-may-reverse-diabetes/

& Here, Dr Michael Mosely, does his thing and along the way interviews Dr Longo about 5-6 years ago.

I am continuing to cycle 20+ miles each and every day. That really helps with the neuropathy. I take 1 x 300 mg Alpha Lipoaic Acid tablet specifically for the neuropathy too. I try and eat my main meal around 2-3pm then follow that with my daily exercise of the 20+ mile bike ride. The ride takes care of most spikes of blood glucose. I come home after my ride and typically eat an apple which doesn't appear to spike my BGs. I'd wake in the morning and test and see that my FBG was around 110mg/dl or less (a good control number).

Having watched the bottom URL video of Dr Michael Mosely I am going to see if I can lose a few more lbs via his 5 and 2 diet schema as Phd Vater Longo says that fasting causes 'Autophagy' and that helps repair the cells in the body. I have shared the above of what I do. I have over the last 6 months also cycled about 3000 miles. I can't guarantee that what I've done will help you but I know I am more healthier than I've been in a long time.

I hope the above helps..

LBB

thanks i am planning on a bike for garage initially not the road

Last edited by a moderator:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I misunderstood your initial question.. I would say it depends on your desire for energy expenditure.
I have recently started a HIIT session on a "wattbike" and couldn't imagine doing that on a recumbent although maybe I'll try it at the gym tomorrow to see. If you want long sessions I imagine a recumbent would be far more comfortable.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks i am planning on a bike for garage initially not the road

@red1mot

I have a Schwinn Airdyne stationary bike like the one in this photo. I am actually in the process of selling it. The reason being is I don't get "Enough out of it." and I rarely use it. The visual stimulation isn't there without some distraction. Now
Airdyne-For-Sale.jpg

while I'll applaud your efforts to get in shape, most people will almost certainly give up after about 4-6 weeks out of boredom. Its the visual stimulation of outdoor riding (either on an upright bike or recumbent) that helps to keep one motivated. You can tell me that I am wrong in my views & I'll have no problem with that. OTOH there is a reason why Loot and Craigslist typically have bunches of these indoor recumbent bikes for sale.

I wish you the best of success..

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have started cycling for exercise. Building up the distance slowly since Christmas. This weekend I managed a full 11 mile ride, the most I have ever achieved. I use a normal "ladies" bike and find that my lower back gets soar with some swelling in my ankles, as I have restricted ankle movement due to a tendon issue.
I also attend a Gym and use the exercise bikes there - the recumbent is certainly more comfortable to use, but there is not a lot of difference in the energy burn between the 2 models.
I started at the Gym on an exercise on prescription programme, with an Instructor who helped me to pick the right exercise routine for my needs and looked at my health issues to ensure I was not going to make my condition worse.

@Sparrow456

If you have a cell phone you can download an this app from Strava

https://www.strava.com/mobile

Ian Whitington (Geoff Whitington's son http://www.fixingdad.com/watch-the-film ) is on there with the "Fixingdad" team. You can start the app as you go off for a ride and there is some camaraderie in that we're all fighting the same fight against diabetes. At the end of the day / week / month you'll have an online copy of your progress back to better health.. I hope that that helps..

LBB

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read the Fixing Dad book and contacted the Team through their Facebook site. Very good guidance being given out - it was what made me take the step from an Exercise Bike to a Road Bike. I have not ridden a Road Bike since my teens, but have found it really fun to get out in the fresh air.

@Sparrow456 There is one gotcha with cycling .. The roads.. I try and minimize the amount of time I'm on a fast roads (or bike lane). It scares the life out of me when I read too frequently of cyclists getting hit by other road vehicles. I've about 1 mile of dangerous road I have to navigate before I get to a dedicated bike path.

Once I am on that bike path I'm in a fairly benign environment with an ocean view as in my avatar .. The cycling does wonders for my mind & the neuropathy of my feet, which goes away after a decent ride. This cycling then allows me to get a good nights sleep..

Last edited:

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have a stationary bike in the sitting room, so i watch TV or hiit on you tube, i can't ride a bike, I'm one of those that has to get off to turn a corner. We do live on the trans pennine trail which is nice and straight but I'd have to push the bike for 100 yards before i got to the trail (embarrassing).

Reactions: Sparrow456