Type 1 Exercise type 1 using Omnipod.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Reduced Basel lots of hypos having to drink sweet drinks to remain ok.How do others cope, Exercise varies from Pilates, Aqua aerobics, gym, swim, sauna, jacuzzi etc.

D

Deleted Account

Trial and error.
And you have to try different regimes for different exercises.

For example,
- for climbing, I increase my basal by about 30% for an hour before I start climbing and for another 90minutes whilst climbing. The reduce by 20% for the next 8 hours.
- for cardio in the gym, I decrease by 30% an hour before then reduce by 20% when I have finished
- for walking, I can walk 15 miles without any adjustments.
- I have not worked out what to do about mountain biking, when I struggle to go uphill, my BG rises, when I am going evenly along a long flattish route through the woods, my BG starts to dro.

And I have to keep an eye on all of this as I get fitter at different activities.

The only constant is a need to reduce basal after exercise.

Reactions: Heathero

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That’s interesting I now tend to reduce Basel by at least 1/2 for all physical activity for 2 hours and drink sweet drink a few sips if low. Never seen increase in blood sugar. Tends to go higher after exercise, but not always.
Will have to continue via trial and error, though wish I didn’t have to do BMs after or during swim etc if feeling weak.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks yes I tried that a few times although once very high afterwards. Not sure why .

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks yes I tried that a few times although once very high afterwards. Not sure why .

Because you had no insulin, is the obvious answer. When your exercising you muscles will burn glucose, your liver will try to replenish the glucose burnt by releasing its stocks of glucose to fuel your muscles. If you're having no basal the glucose released by your liver can't get into the muscles, so it just sits in the blood.

So if -50% is not enough of a decrease, and suspend is too much of a decrease, try everything in between to see what works for you.

Brss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm fitness instructor and not wondering if the omni pod may be the answer as this is proving impossible?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also 'unplug' if I feel my glucose is dipping. Presumably you can still go lower on the temp basal rate (20%). Thre reason the bg spikes when no insulin is on board is that the body still requires energy and so will unlock some from the liver hence you might need to stick a little mini dose in just after exercise though watch out for the post exercise dip too (4 hours after)...But that is better than stopping for jelly babies every few minutes.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm fitness instructor and not wondering if the omni pod may be the answer as this is proving impossible?
Me too! I have a pump so that helps with flexible dosing. A CGM is the next step as its awkward to be testing but the pump was the game changer for me.

Reactions: Brss
D

Deleted Account

I also 'unplug' if I feel my glucose is dipping.
Bear in mind the time taken for "fast acting" insulin to work.
For example, NovoRapid can take up to 90 minutes to take affect as a basal.
Therefore, if you disconnect when you are low, you still have the basal in your body that will continue working.
Through trial and error, I have worked out when to reduce my basal to avoid the lows during exercise.

Brss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Me too! I have a pump so that helps with flexible dosing. A CGM is the next step as its awkward to be testing but the pump was the game changer for me.
Thanks Nicole this is hugely helpful is it the omni pod? I'm struggling so much trying my hardest but can't get my sugars down at all and so much worse after classes. X

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Nicole this is hugely helpful is it the omni pod? I'm struggling so much trying my hardest but can't get my sugars down at all and so much worse after classes. X
Mine is not an omnipod but I gather this is wireless and that may be the attraction? I have a Roche Insight pump with a cartridge of 160 ml which is connected to my glucomenter via bluetooth. I use it during exercise and have run a marathon in its predecessor (second pump). I have a short flex so that nothing gets caught up or tangled up and then wear the pump in my bra. NOt sure if you are also female but if so getting a tight fitting crop top /bra is a good idea. My ppump is very robust and doesn't mind getting sweaty or wet though if you do sweat a lot you may need to get the insertion point changed more frequently than 2-3 x a week which is recommended.
Exercise and blood sugars are a nightmare but its much less of a rolelercoaster with a pump! Btw have seen other posts re the omnipod on this forum so may be worth reading those.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bear in mind the time taken for "fast acting" insulin to work.
For example, NovoRapid can take up to 90 minutes to take affect as a basal.
Therefore, if you disconnect when you are low, you still have the basal in your body that will continue working.
Through trial and error, I have worked out when to reduce my basal to avoid the lows during exercise.
Just wondering if specific instances that Novorapid would take 90 minutes to work. Would hyperglycaemia have this affect.Still using Omnipod finding ways to adjust ratios re activity/ time of day. Now just started using libre due to hypo problems. Inconsistent BG s .