Exercise, when can I start

Aldo111

Hi,
I was diagnosed T2 about two weeks ago. My BS still averages around 13 to 18 but is improved from the 38.5 two weeks ago. I am taking 3 metformin per day.
I understand that I have to be patient but find all the information given to be confusing or non exsistant. I am not patient.
Up to last October I was running four days per week and was running 10k races. However i got an infected foot ( which led to my diabetes being diagnosed). I read with interest that exercise will benefit my BS level and weight control. But when will it be safe for me to start exercising? I intend to start slowly by increasing me walking exercise until I am ready to start running again (foot has been given the all clear by GP). Are there an pitfuls that i should be aware of?

Kind regards

Aldo :?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Aldo and welcome to the forum :) Have a good read around and then ask any questions you want. As far as exercise goes I seem to remember that you shouldn't exercise when you are over 13 - if I am wrong someone will correct me soon :) You need to measure your ketones and don't exercise if they are positive. I personally would not exercise over 10. So you need to get your levels down more before starting. Gentle walking should be OK though and would get you moving already. Keep an eye on your foot though.

Edit: There was a thread on this subject recently - here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18810

Since you are newly diagnosed and there is a lot you probably want to know, here is a link to some information the Forum Monitors put together. Following the advice in here will help you to get your levels down further:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088#p155405

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi Aldo,

I started with a bit of walking. Nothing too strenuous, maybe 20 mins. Take a small apple with you maybe.

You will definatly see the BG drop after the excercise.

Good luck

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Aldo
Start slowly and make sure that you get the all important balance, in your case, with naturally produced Insulin and carbs, type of exercise and the effect it has on you.

Exercise that is very much more than you are used to (either more vigorous or more prolonged) may keep your blood glucose low for up to 18 hours afterwards. This is due to the body replacing the glucose it had stored in its muscle, which was used for the exercise.

The problem is that exercise can not only lower BG it can also RAISE it........so, test before, during and after exercise so that you can see what each individual element is doing to you, which is the best way to lower the levels.

One thing for sure if your levels are over 13 mmol/l beforehand I would not think about exercise until they are much lower. To do so could cause the levels to rise not drop.......confusing isn't it ?

I exercise and if low to start with would have a light carby snack or drink, test half way through as well, not just before and after and see what is happening. If too low then you might need to 'fuel' up a bit more. If a little higher then you could up the intensity and see if it drops.

Aldo111

Thank you for the welcome and advice. I am finding this all very confusing and not knowing where to get the answer is very frustrating. So your kind advice is very welcome.
I will wait until i reduce my BS level to the level recommended and will take it easy. I'll keep you updated.

Regards

Aldo