1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

explaining what it's really like to live with Type 1

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by himtoo, Jun 29, 2016.

1. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Active Member

I read this yesterday, and for a hard faced bloke was surprised to see a couple of tears land on my keyboard. :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh bless you @kev-w . Am passing you a virtual tissue... and every good wish for a lovely weekend.

Love Snapsy
    :):)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My exerience of living with type1 diabetes for 45 years.... well my memory is broken, I read today about testing urine with tablets which I can but just remember, the guilotine I just remember (Dr Lillington gave me that he was my favourite Diabetic Dr 1979 I think) and talk of coma's, I have had erm 5-8 episodes of this which I do not like to think about or tbh can remember any of them or the coming around of them but I Do remeber shame I have felt when having 2 in public and coming round in a hospital. In my old job my boss was full up to date with diabetes as I kept her upto date etc, the new job I am in well thats totally different, I tell them I'm hypo they just look at me and I sometimes feel like just not treating it so they can deal with the fallout from it..... Hypo's in public places ......... I have had 7 biggies as far as I know ...... private bad hypos ............ maybe 25-30 (this was when I was younger and not testing and drinking alot )...................... rushed into hospital 8 times ............ now suffer from Diabetic neuropathy, Hyponatraemia, Thyrotoxicosis, Bilateral cataracts, Total prosthetic replacement of hip joint (right Hip)
    . Avascular necrosis of bone (left hip), Acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive airways disease (non diabetic related), maculopathy, I could go on but writing this is erm disturbing if yo know what I mean~?.......... I like to think of myself as normal (wtf is that) haha

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 2
    #223 Gaz-M, Nov 17, 2017 at 10:31 PM
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  4. Bertyboy

Bertyboy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had to laugh when diagnosed and the nurse said "the really good news is that you now don't have to pay for any precriptions!".
    I'd never had a prescription in my life so I struggled to take the positive out of it.
    I suppose I should be grateful anyway....as the OP says, in most countries, you'd be paying for the insulin, needles, strips etc. either subsidised or at retail price.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nessals946

nessals946 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ive had diabetes for 42 years,my memory is shot to hell but i didnt realise it could be related to diabetes.Could it be the amount of severe hypis over the years? I suppose your brain is affected more than you realise.I did read somewhere that diabetics have a higher risk of developing dementia.Scary.

6. slaxx

slaxx Type 1 · Active Member

saw this connection too from a page on dementia. either being a diabetic or... well i suppose you're a diabetic if you have too much sugar in your blood. hope more research is done on this. i'm honestly afraid for my parents.

7. Bud1979

Bud1979 Type 1 · Active Member

I’ve got nine so I assume that between us we have 19, but with care you can keep all of your digits. I blame loosing mine on my border collie, I took him out a walk and just put my lace in my shoe and hey presto blister, ulcer, 6 weeks of iv antibiotics then amputation. I must say the useless chiropractor was probably to blame she just put a plaster on it and come back in a week, it then broke down and my leg started to swell but she continued and what is the absolute irony I trusted in her. I still have 10 fingers and my own hair so I’m still ahead.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ive had diabetes for 42 years,my memory is shot to hell but i didnt realise it could be related to diabetes.Could it be the amount of severe hypis over the years?

Yes it could be

9. NoKindOfSusie

NoKindOfSusie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Are blisters something I need to be scared of?

This is diabetes: exercise, except the drugs won't let you, and don't get blisters or you'll have your toes amputated? Is that what it is?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook